Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Jim C

Posted by J. CA on July 26, 2001 at 18:17:14:

Well in my town they have ‘poster sleeves’ (soft plastic pole jackets that you can staple into) on the traffic light poles. Signs can be up for a maximum of 30 days (must have the date they were put up printed on them.)

Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Jim C

Posted by Jim C on July 26, 2001 at 08:49:46:

I just wanted to let everyone know about this because if I had known this a few months ago, I would’ve been rackin’ in the dough today.

A few weeks ago I put up 4 Bandit signs and got 6 calls altogether, which I thought was pretty great.

Tuesday morning I put up 3 Bandit signs. I got one call Tuesday (which was impressive itself) and I got 5 calls yesterday!!!

I never thought Bandit signs could be THIS effective. I guess repetition goes a long way in advertising. I can’t wait to see how many calls I get today!

Just wanted to let everyone know how effective this was for me. If you haven’t tried it yet, try it! You can make them yourself for pretty cheap, so give it a whirl.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!

Jim C

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by vladimir (IL)

Posted by vladimir (IL) on July 26, 2001 at 11:16:17:

Yep! I agree. Newspaper ads are much more expensive, provide less exposure for a shorter period of time compared to bandit signs, costing $4.5 to as low $1.9/ea (at some places), yet, remaining in place for weeks/months.

Vladimir IL

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Mike (IN)

Posted by Mike (IN) on July 26, 2001 at 09:01:37:

What do your signs say?

Re: Bandits: how about HOURS? - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on July 26, 2001 at 11:49:47:

I’m lucky if my signs stay up a matter of hours, and yes, even on weekends. I beleve real estate agents are taking them down. These won’t work everywhere.

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Jim C

Posted by Jim C on July 26, 2001 at 09:07:44:

2 of the signs said:

I Buy Houses
I Take Over Payments
Any Condition Any Location
(Company Name)
(Phone Number)

The other one said:

I Buy Ugly Houses
Fast Cash
(Company Name)
(Phone Number)

GOOD LUCK!!!

Jim C

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on July 26, 2001 at 09:03:53:

Could someone please tell us newbies what the heck are bandit signs?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Bandits: how about HOURS? - Posted by Kim

Posted by Kim on July 26, 2001 at 19:27:34:

In Cincinnati we also have sign police and they charge for cleanup. This is not new here been in place for 30 years. Not applied fairly nor accross the board. However it is what it is. Some groups I have worked with have received bills from the city from 99.00 to 15,000.00 for cleanup of signs. There is however some leaway, Pol. Candidates can use signs in most places anyway.

Re: Bandits: how about HOURS? - Posted by Matt B

Posted by Matt B on July 26, 2001 at 15:51:25:

Bandit signs won’t work where you are? OK, I’m looking to move sometime soon, Sue. How about I come up there and show you it can be done? Heck, I don’t mind climbing a ladder to put the signs up! I’d even stake them out for you and confront the agents who are trying to take them down! I may be a delicate flower, but I can be a little intimidating when I really try. (I’ve been working out.)

Re: Bandits: how about HOURS? - Posted by vladimir (IL)

Posted by vladimir (IL) on July 26, 2001 at 12:47:13:

Sue,

I had the same problem, that’s why I bought a ladder at Home Deopot (ladder is about 2-3 ft, and fits perfectly in the trunk of my Nissan Maxima). In addition, I now place my signs at intersections of super busy streets and notice that they stay there longer now. I think it embarasses the agents to get out from their cars and hold up traffic just to take down my sign.

But, you are right. It does not work everywhere. I’ve read that in Texas, there is ‘sign police’, made up of citizens against ‘street spamming’. Ouch…

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 26, 2001 at 10:21:17:

Kim,

As a newbie, welcome to the business!! You’re gonna find it to be exciting and rewarding.

Here’s a little tip. Each of the bulletin boards on this site offers the ability to search the archives. This feature has just been improved dramatically (Thanks again Terry!!). I just did a quick search on “bandit signs” and came up with 324 posts. Check it out; you’ll be amazed at how useful it is.

Hope this helps.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Posted by Jim C on July 26, 2001 at 09:10:29:

They are those signs that you see on the side of the road by stop lights. Usually the type that say “Work at Home” or “Lose 30 lbs. in 30 Days”.

You’ve seen them before I’m sure. They worked really well for me.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Jim C

Re: Bandits: how about HOURS? - Posted by SueC

Posted by SueC on July 27, 2001 at 09:03:37:

Hey, I’m the delicate flower around here and don’t you forget it! You are welcome to come up here and work out on our real estate agents :slight_smile:

I think the Today Show needs a new segment, Where in the US is Matt Bowman? They can have video of you putting up bandit signs along highways all across the land!

Seriously, you saw the terrain, I’m sure it can be done, I haven’t tried Saturdays yet only weekdays.

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Scott

Posted by Scott on July 26, 2001 at 10:03:38:

I’m going to use bandit signs to compliment my marketing as I’ve done well with direct mail. You mentioned can make pretty cheap. Some pointers on your approach on making would be great. I’ve looked at local folks and are pretty expensive but www.banditsigns.com has for about $2.50 for over 200 signs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by J. CA

Posted by J. CA on July 26, 2001 at 13:35:25:

You can also make ‘poster’ signs on your printer. Get some nice bright obnoxious paper and print a VERY BRIEF ad. Stick them up on the poles out of reach (use a ladder.)

These may not last too well in rain, but considering you can print about 50 for $2.50, it’s a pretty good deal.

Posted by Jim C on July 26, 2001 at 11:12:55:

I’ve never made my own bandit signs, but I know that some people on this board do. I would just get some cardboard or plastic and make a stencil. Then just spraypaint over the stencil onto the cardboard and attach a stake to it and stick it in the ground.

Maybe someone else on this board has some better ideas for you, but I think it would be relatively easy to make them.

GOOD LUCK!!!

Jim C

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on July 26, 2001 at 14:08:41:

Not a good way to go if it rains everyday. Here in Central Florida we get hit with afternoon showers almost everyday of the week. I prefer longer lasting ones.

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on July 27, 2001 at 10:43:42:

Where in Central Florida are you located?
Cordially,
Lazaro

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by J. CA

Posted by J. CA on July 26, 2001 at 14:53:37:

True. I thought of the possibility of getting them laminated, I wonder if this would be cheaper than coroplast boards?

In my town there are only 40 intersections where it is legal to put signs on the poles, and it’s illegal to stake signs into the ground ANYWHERE within citylimits. Of course they let yard sale signs go, hmmm… perhaps if I put the signs up and took them down every few days? eg

Re: Use Bandit Signs!!! - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on July 28, 2001 at 08:52:14:

Orlando, fl.