TO ALL NEWBIES AND SEASONED VETS!!! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Houserookie on December 20, 2000 at 23:52:34:

I have heard and read some of his material. Frankly, I think it’s common sense. But that’s just my opinion.

If you live life with a good heart, open mind, and have a positive outlook in life, it’s hard to fail.

I don’t need tapes to get me excited about life. Everyday I wake up, I am sadden by the fact that life is too short. Yet I am not afraid of death.

Some people however do need Tony’s material.

It’s not easy trying to solve life’s problems in one or two months when some people have carried bags throughout their entire life. In personal realtionships or RE, it’s the bad habits that people have that prevent them from success.

Tony’s material is a great guidance, not a cure for poor personal decisions.

TO ALL NEWBIES AND SEASONED VETS!!! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on December 18, 2000 at 18:17:35:

Hello all,

I just wanted to share with you all something that has really helped me out with real estate and life in general. It was/is the Personal Power II Audio Program by Tony Robbins. I have to tell you, this course has helped me tremendously.

If any of you newbies are afraid to get started because of rejection, because of fear of failure, because you’re scared, because of WHATEVER, I urge you to buy this course! It’s worth it’s weight in gold just like this website.

If any of you seasoned vets are depressed because you’re going through a dry spell, or you’re worried about a big upcoming deal, or you’re just having a bad day, invest some time and money in this course and I’m sure things will start improve for you.

And If you are a newbie or a seasoned vet and your life is going great now, get this course anyway, so that you can be prepared for a possible “not so nice” event in the future.

Personally, I have done so much in my personal life and business life since I’ve got this course that I really am suprised! I use to be such a procrastinator when it came to real estate, it turns out, I procrastnated because I was afraid of failure. (Of course, it took some listening to and understanding these tapes to realize that) I always thought I procrastinated because I had something “better” to do, something more important…but I really was scared of actually failing or being rejected. Boy, was that an eye opener…MY FEAR OF FAILURE AND REJECTION WAS HOLDING ME BACK ALL ALONG AND I NEVER REALLY FIGURED THAT OUT!

Anyway, JP I hope you’re not made about me posting this, it’s not really an advertisement, it’s kind of a ummm I dunno…little posting of “support” shall we say!

Thanks for letting me talk about this to you all…

Have a great Holiday!

CAREY

The best testimonial of all! - Posted by SCook85

Posted by SCook85 on December 20, 2000 at 09:03:32:

Carey,
I’m glad that you found worth in what Tony Robbins and his teachings. You have the right attitude about it, and what has happened in Tony’s life does not change the validity of the information.

Absolutely no one is perfect. Tony Robbins is one of the best motivators ever to live- it doesn’t mean that he can’t fall off himself, we all do. I have a friend that wrote a great book on relationships, then immediately went out and broke all of the rules he wrote about. Life and its circumstances will bring us all different situations both good and bad. And those who live as good a life as possible can be struck with hardships that change everything. The question is how they react to it.

Tony Robbins needs his own materials more then ever now. If he uses his own teachings to put his life back together then I think that will be the best testimonial of all.

Steve

Well, what if… - Posted by Todd (MO)

Posted by Todd (MO) on December 19, 2000 at 23:50:09:

…one of the real estate gurus who are regulars on this board makes a mistake on a deal and loses money on it? Does that mean that we should no longer listen to them on how to make money in Real Estate? Does that make their advice crap??? Not hardly. To err is human.

Too much focus is being placed on the messenger and not the message. Most people know Tony as a motivational speaker who just gives a great pump up. But the heart of what Tony does lies in the technology that he preaches - NLP (he now calls it NAC). Don’t let the messenger take away from the message. And yes!, Tony’s program is more on the pump up side than it is rich in NLP. But don’t let that discourage you from learning what this is about. Besides, if you want relationship advice, then maybe you want to reconsider listening to Tony right now. But I think what we want to know here is how to make money, and Tony went from being an average “Joe” to building an empire that grosses over $50 Million a year. That might be something worth listening to.

From what I understand - aside from all the wild rumours that get started - is that the main reason for Tony and Becky’s breakup was that they have grown apart and developed different goal and directions for their lives. She apparently will still be staying on with the Robbins Companies and running parts of it, and they have remained good friends. It would have been more hypocritical of him to have stayed in a relationship that neither wanted to be in.

So many people are quick to jump all over something like this in order to validate to themselves their own misguided beliefs that personal development and self-help programs don’t do anything or that they are merely for the weak. I can tell you emphatically that this is not so. People think “just teach me how to make money and everything else in my life will be great.” Most of the time it is not enough. You also have to learn the thinking and behavior that makes successful people successful. This is where things like mentoring programs like Joe Kaiser’s (I was not paid to say that) are a valuable addition to anyone interested in becoming a real estate investor. You get to learn what makes people like this successful other than just having a method of making money. You also get to learn how they think and approach making money and problem solving.

Being the same old person that you were only with more money does not make one truly successful. To achieve tremendous levels of success, and maintain them, you have to change personnally as well. And I’m not just blowing hot air here, I have worked with a number of self-made millionaire’s (some whom you’ve seen on infomercials) who reached a point where they were no longer growing financially and had reached a mental roadblock in achieving their goals. I do know what I am talking about.

Often the ones who yell the loudest against something are the ones who need it the most.

Continued Success,

Todd

since you brought it up… - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on December 19, 2000 at 22:33:58:

Just a general fyi to readers of this board and this post. I didn’t understand this until recently. I used to think Robbins was just a flake, glorified handholding cheerleader shouting “You can do it” peppered with buzzwords, a la management consultant types such as Peter Senge, et al.

However, after having looked more closely at his work, I understand he is actually selling a technology called NLP, which stands for Neuro-Linguistic-Programming. When I first heard of it, I thought it was just a fancy way of saying “visualization”, such as purported in Psycho-Cybernetics, by Maltz.

However, NLP was not the invention of Robbins, he just got rich marketing it. The guys who invented it are Richard Bandler and John Grinder, and it was originally intended to be an alternative form of psychological therapy. It was found that much of this technology worked outside therapeutic situations, and could help people to influence others, as well as themselves.

I think this is an exciting field, and I am just now in the midst of boning up more on this topic, as I plan to use it in my Real Estate pursuits in 2001. However, I do think Robbins is “NLP Light”, so to speak.

There are many other sources out there that go more into detail about all of this, including Bandler and Grinder themselves, in several books, courses, etc. Kenrick Cleveland’s “Maximum Persuason” materials seem to be popular with the NLP crowd. There are lots of resources on the Internet available for those with an interest in this topic.

Except that . . . - Posted by JoeKaiser

Posted by JoeKaiser on December 19, 2000 at 01:28:33:

. . . when Tony and Becky filed for divorce earlier this year, it kinda invalidated a lot of things for me.

I’ve been a big Robbins fan for years and have bought all his stuff for family and friends, so hearing they were breaking up was a punch in the gut, to be sure.

Joe

R.E. Investor and NLP’er - Posted by Todd (MO)

Posted by Todd (MO) on December 19, 2000 at 24:17:31:

Hi Carey!

I have only recently gotten on this site. It’s good to know some people “get it!” I have been a real estate investor for 10 years and am also an NLP trainer. I coach entrepreneur’s from all types of money-making ventures and I can tell you that the biggest obstacle that gets in the way of one’s success - is themselves. Even experienced successful entrepreneurs I have worked with get “stuck” once in a while. Things didn’t change, they changed. Solution? Change how they think - problem solved!

This is a hard pill for many to swallow and some reading this will think it is crazy…but it is the truth. Every action that one makes (or doesn’t make) is preceded by a decision either consciously or unconsciously. This internal process will determine the action(s) that the individual takes. Change your thinking and you change your actions.

This site is full of terrific people who give of themselves and who provide us with quality information and programs to learn this business and achieve our dreams. But more important than the “mechanics” of making money in real estate, they teach us new ways to think. The mindset we learn here teaches us how to take action. The information we learn here teaches us what actions to take. The two go hand in hand with each other and they reciprocate with each other. Change how you think, take different actions. Take different actions, change how you think.

Would love to hear from you and more about your experience with Tony’s program and your real estate investing. E-mail me with any questions you may have about either one.

Continued Success,

Todd

Re: TO ALL NEWBIES AND SEASONED VETS!!! - Posted by Monty (N. Texas)

Posted by Monty (N. Texas) on December 18, 2000 at 18:36:28:

Carey,

Really enjoyed your post. I am a newbie and believe I have walked in the same footsteps as you regarding fear of failure and/or fear of success holding me back. I also have benefited from some of Tony Robbins’ work and would recommend it to anyone who needs a little “kick in the pants”. However, I think the real key lies within, and maybe most importantly, with the company you keep! Thats why I am so excited about this site and what it brings to me each and everytime I login - HOPE! I wish you the best of luck in your investing and a happy new year to all.

Monty

It Costs $179.00!!! - Posted by Fred

Posted by Fred on December 18, 2000 at 18:33:44:

Where am I supposed to get that kind of cash? Maybe you have that kind of money to shell out but I’m on a very tight budget!

We need something a little more economical (Any Ideas)

Fred

Re: The best testimonial of all! - Posted by Garrison

Posted by Garrison on December 20, 2000 at 16:34:08:

SCook85,

What happened to Tony? I didn’t hear.

~Garrison

I couldn’t agree more with you…thanks! (nt) - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on December 20, 2000 at 09:12:50:

nt

I Totally Agree Joe! - Posted by Tom D

Posted by Tom D on December 19, 2000 at 18:51:26:

If this guy wants to sell material and influence people like he says he can, then by all means don’t go getting divorced! Heck, the course shows everyone how to gain full control of our lives and emotions and they’re written by the guy that’s getting “Divorced”

Gimmie a Break here!

I would consider him to be a hipocrate and wouldn’t spend a dime on his stuff!

Great Post Joe!

Tom D

Re: Except that . . . - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on December 19, 2000 at 14:52:15:

Joe,

What I’ve come to realize is like myself and like you, Tony Robbins and anyone else that gives advice, etc. is only human. Tony Robbins is NOT perfect by all means, but that doesn’t mean that the information and the knowledge that he passes on is useless does it? It doesn’t mean that the information he has to offer and share is no longer valid does it? Of course not!! So, therefore I for one feel bad for what you say may be happening in Tony’s life but he’s not perfect and he’s human. We all make mistakes!

What I’ve learned from Tony regardless of his personal life is something that can NEVER be taken away from me…I’ve finally gotten CONTROL (great post Matt by the way) and I realize that the only one that can make or break my future is ME!

You know, sometimes I think it’s a shame that I had to buy that course to find all the new things I’ve learned about myself, but then I realize OH MY GOD what about all of the people in the world that NEVER discover these things out…and I feel better! :slight_smile:

anyway Joe, HAVE A GREAT HOLIDAY!!!

Oh and did you get my email about The Hunt For Abanadoned Properties and the password to Investors Edge Software???

Take care,

CAREY

Shooting the messenger (Long) - Posted by Alan-Baltimore

Posted by Alan-Baltimore on December 19, 2000 at 10:35:21:

I couldn?t agree more with Brad. I haven?t ever read or listened to any of Tony Robbins’ books but it has often bothered me that people often confuse the private failings of someone with the validity of what they say. (Also known as an ?ad hominem? attack). It?s easy to criticize a person for their personal behavior and then make the leap that since they can?t live a perfect life, it?s okay to disregard anything they might have to say.

The following are some examples of the fallacy of mistaking the truth and worth of the message with the messenger:

Albert Einstein dumped his first wife and child to marry a cousin.

Beethoven was notorious for the way he treated those that tried to befriend him and often sold ?exclusive? rights to his work to more than one publisher.

Richard Wagner was a known anti-Semite (yet he did hire a Jewish conductor to premiere several of his works!) and to this day his work is virtually banned in Israel.

Picasso was a womanizer and abused many of his wives and mistresses.

Frank Sinatra had many good friends in the Mafia.

Thomas Jefferson owned slaves and is thought to have slept with and had children by one of them.

I could go on in this vein but I think you get the point–a person?s talent, intelligence and philosophical insights don?t necessarily translate into sainthood. In all of these cases, our world would be very much poorer if the products of these tremendous minds were thrown out as being tainted by the type of lives led by their creators.

If you are a regular reader of this board you know the names JPiper, Bill Gatten, Phil Fernandez, Ed Garcia, Scook, etc. All of these people have a proven track record of being successful with some facet of creative real estate. However, you really don?t know what these people do ?offline.?

One of them might collect old shoes once worn by famous movie stars, another might like to roll around in orange marmalade under a full moon, and yet another might even kick his dog. (Sorry if I?m giving away any secrets–LOL).

Does this mean that anything they write here should be tagged with a big disclaimer? NO
Does this mean that I support what they do and would be their best friend? NO (though that marmalade thing might be worth a try :slight_smile:
Does it mean that I won?t copy down what they have to say and try it in my own business? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

The bottom line in all of this is that you have to judge for yourself the importance of what someone is saying by its truth, artistic merit, and practical application and forget about what the person does ?behind closed doors.?

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

It’s not the man, it’s the message… - Posted by Brad TX

Posted by Brad TX on December 19, 2000 at 09:04:01:

If you ever think any other way, you’ll end up knocking someone off their pedestal, where YOU’VE put them, AND where they never belonged in the first place.

Joe, I Couldn’t Agree More - Posted by Bob Richards

Posted by Bob Richards on December 19, 2000 at 06:56:48:

I stopped listening to his stuff too when I read about the divorce and his cavorting with some 20-something blondiekins well beforehand. Definitely deflated my feelings about the guy.

Maybe Tony just sells common sense; and some need to be taught it? Who knows, but I agree with your post 100%

Bob

Re: It Costs $179.00!!! - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on December 18, 2000 at 21:33:08:

Fred,

You could probably get the money for the course the same way you would get money for a potential real estate deal that you’d like to take part in.

Fred, if you want and need something bad enough, you will find a way to get it. JohnBoy and RR gave you some really good ideas above, are you going to choose one of those ideas and buy the course or at least buy another real estate course or are you going to whine as Johnboy said about not having any money?

From the sound of your post you NEED the course I spoke about along with a good real estate course. (Now, if you already have a good real estate course or two, you NEED the Tony Robbins course)

Find a way to get it Fred. By the way Fred, I don’t have much cash myself at the current moment (still a newbie only having done 5 mh deals) and I’m sure a lot of people that started in real estate on this board along with myself started with little or no money…if you want it bad enough, you’ll find a way to get it!!!

good luck,

CAREY

alternate supplys - Posted by RR Smith

Posted by RR Smith on December 18, 2000 at 19:47:29:

buy it on e bay or amazon,
borrow it from a friend (network with 7 RE investors, one will have it),
RENT IT from a audio book store,
or…

Re: It Costs $179.00!!! - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on December 18, 2000 at 19:19:28:

McDonald’s is our kind of place!!!

Try a second part time job! In less than one week you would have the $179 needed to invest in something towards your future. Is one week of working part time so you could invest into something that could change your life forever worth doing???

It’s YOUR life, YOU decide!

Otherwise, just keep sitting back, making excuses and whine about everything!

WHAAAAAAAAAH! WHAAAAAAAAH! WHAAAAAAAH!

Re: Shooting the messenger (Long) - Posted by eric-fl

Posted by eric-fl on December 19, 2000 at 22:13:12:

I see one flaw in your logic. Einstein was a physicist, not a marriage counselor. Beethoven was a composer, not an Ethics professor. Sinatra was a singer, not a cop. However, Robbins IS selling advice on how to cultivate personal relationships. Therefore, I think the fact that he is getting divorced bears SOME impact on what he is saying.

I don’t care who Einstein married, because I’m not looking to him for marital advice - only on the theory of relativity. However, Robbins DOES give marital advice - in fact, advice in all facets of human relationships, if I understand his message correctly.

Now, this doesn’t necessarily mean we should shoot the messenger - Robert Allen, author of the classic “Nothing Down”, fell on very hard financial times in recent years, as I understand, due to problems with unanticipated growth and mismanagement within his companies. Now he is back, with a new book, seems to have a more humbled attitude, and seems to have learned from his experience.

If Robbins can learn something from his divorce and incorporate it into his teachings, I would respect that; however, if he continues on with the stadium-success seminars where business people give strangers back massages and walk on hot coals, I think I’ll pass.