Think, then post. - Posted by HB (socal)

Posted by Jeanne on December 26, 2001 at 15:33:14:

Ron,

I’ll provide the spoon, you shovel in the knowledge.

Thanks,

Jeanne

Think, then post. - Posted by HB (socal)

Posted by HB (socal) on December 25, 2001 at 16:01:53:

I may get flamed for this post, but that?s okay. It?s my belief that there is a problem that needs to be addressed.

This forum is fantastic. There are real world investors who take the time to answer questions and share their experiences. The many informative posts from experts and beginners alike make this forum better than any course you can buy. I know it?s helped me tremendously and I know I?m not alone.

Real estate investment is a business, a business with the potential for huge profits as well as huge losses. Anyone who aspires to do well in CRE can not go wrong by stopping here and reading the how-to articles and the various open forums. Beginners especially should carefully and methodically read and absorb as much as they can.

Recently however it seems that some beginners stop by, do not familiarize themselves with the basic material, do not take the time to scan the existing posts, and do not bother to learn the community?s protocols.

Instead they shoot from the hip asking questions like ?what does subject to mean??, ?how much can I make in a year?? or ?how do I find cheap properties?? Now these are all legitimate questions, but they have been answered many, many times.

I just don?t think it?s asking too much of new comers to take a few hours and explore the different areas of CREOnline and think before posting. It just galls me that some people have the nerve to post a 10 word, poorly formulated, question and expect another person to take time out of their life to respond!

Perhaps there should be a huge banner on the home page, “Beginners Start Here!” It could link to a page with some of the excellent posts explaining the basics as well as some of the articles and a complete glossary. A primer in PDF format that newbies could print out and study. It could also have a faq about the site, it?s contents and conventions.

Then there could be a quick online test that needs to be passed before one is allowed to participate in the general forum.

I?d be more then happy to assist in putting together some of these materials.

By the way, what does ?NT? mean?

TOO FUNNY !!! - Posted by Redline

Posted by Redline on December 27, 2001 at 20:58:37:

C’mon - don’t you think it’s just a LITTLE FUNNY that you posted this long message about newbies asking worn out questions (which I agree with) - only to end your rant with “By the way, what does ?NT? mean?”

Classic.

RL

Re: New Forum Format!!! - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on December 25, 2001 at 19:50:08:

Hi Guys,

Take a look at the format of this forum (cut & paste in your browser this URL):

http://www.marketpositiontalk.com/forums/index.cfm?CFID=85993&CFTOKEN=32744517&CFApp=11&

Dated questions on the left, threads on the top right and messages on the bottom right…a Search button to search for discussions only on YOUR favorite subject and TADA…A big fat FAQ section. Now wouldn’t that be heaven here?

I contacted the CREONLINE Editor so i’ll see if he’s willing to go for change…after all, it’s new year right??

Richard

Re: NEWBIE TO THE RESCUE :slight_smile: - Posted by Richard

Posted by Richard on December 25, 2001 at 19:25:32:

Hi Guys,

As a professional webmaster (and future Prehabber) i would be delighted to help this forum get a “FAQs” section with not only terms uses in messages like NT, LOL or IDHACOWTFTATAH (I Don’t Have A Clue On What The F*** They Are Talking About Here) but also RE terms like L/O, Options, Prehabber, Rehabber, Flipper (no, not the dolphin) and so on.

The major problem of this forum is the core of the script that list not only the threads in big letters but also the sub-threads or messages which loads a page pretty fast (max 7 days of discussions) this is why the new people are asking the same question again and again because if they scroll like hell they will see that this question was asked 3 days ago but anyway i’m not here to blast the CREONLINE owners of this site.

SO…why don’t we start by you sending me all the terms (discussions terms an RE terms)you are familiar with in this forum along with your description.

I will store them all in a web page that i’ll name TERMS.htm (similar to the one Ed Wachsman did)and send that big page to the CREONLINE people to place a link at the top of the forum page…“NEWBIES…READ THESE FAQs OR DIE”.

For instance in the Ed Wachsman RE Term List that we will add terms to the terms L/O, ARV, Lease Options, Options, Flipping RE, Prehabber, Rehabber are NOT among his list(!!!)

So now it’s your turn my friends to explain me what they are so that i add them to the page.

Richard

Re: Think, then post. - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on December 25, 2001 at 17:27:00:

I can understand the ?NT? part. It took me a year to find out that LOL didn?t mean Lots Of Love. Some computer users aren?t used to bulletin boards, or chat rooms.

On the other hand, could you send me a list of sellers living within walking distance of my house, who will pull out their equines with a second-hand crank, give the cash to me, and deed over the trusted house subject-to an option to make the payments? On second thought, I don?t want to miss my T.V. programs, so I want you to contact the sellers and tell them to drop off the money at my home. If I?m eating dinner, just shove the funds in the mailbox. I scotch taped my new business card identifying me as a professional real estate advising expert buyer of houses on the mailbox so they can find me. Hurry please since I don?t have a job because I?m a real estate engineer.

Thank you in advance for my newfound wealth.

Beginners Start Here … - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 25, 2001 at 16:55:02:

How’s that…

We can create the thread right now… Now understand the problem with getting mad about newbies starting and asking questions is they don’t where to start or what has been asked once or a 1000 times.

Like walking into a black cave… do you step, run, go forwards, go backwards, yell, leave, pray… it All New… and in my opinion All questions should be asked, because you always have new folks coming aboard… and to kill a questioner/question whether we think it’s legitimate or not kills growth… Now, I also believe to make in this or any business one of the skills to learn is how to get answer quickly and not stop when the first person shuts you down.

So Here below…

Post to this thread some FAQ… that you can think of and I’ll do the same

Then you can always tell folks that besides the articles, success and money making ideas to look in the archives for this thread.

David Alexander

Re: Think, then post. - Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues

Posted by Rodrigo Rodrigues on December 25, 2001 at 16:51:35:

you know what … you right …
nt = no text
this forum has to be more organized…

Sarcasm? - Posted by Jim FL

Posted by Jim FL on December 28, 2001 at 20:23:45:

RL,
I took the last line/question, as sarcasm.
Have a great day,
Jim FL

Hmmm, Buying Horses, not Houses? - Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA)

Posted by Ronald * Starr(in No CA) on December 25, 2001 at 21:29:59:

Brent–(IL)-----------

You are changing your investment approach? “…who will pull out their equines with …” Can you educate us on why this is better than buying houses?

Good InvestingRon Starr****

David - Posted by Brent_IL

Posted by Brent_IL on December 26, 2001 at 03:47:13:

I know what you say is true. Everyone started out as a beginner with no sense of direction. It’s not the questions that get to me. I have many questions of my own. What I find annoying is the defiant refusal to learn from the answer because it’s not what one wants to hear.

How many times has someone without relevant experience asked for your response to a question, and then “yes, but”-ed you with nonsense to explain why you’re wrong? I hope your learning-thread efforts are fruitful.

I think I’m going to start meditating again. Perhaps it should be medicating.

Re: Beginners Start Here … - Posted by HB (socal)

Posted by HB (socal) on December 25, 2001 at 19:23:08:

I understand your point about a newcomer not knowing where to start, but I don?t fully agree. Starting with the “How To…” section seems like it should be pretty clear and easy.

I also understand your allusion to the axiom ?there are no stupid questions", and again I do not fully agree.

Real estate is about serious money, and therefore serious business. If you are going to be serious about this serious business, then by all means be a serious student.

If I were to walk in to a classroom with a course already underway, before I raise my hand and start asking questions, I would be still and check out the environment. That would only be fair to the instructor and the other students. Now in a classroom it can be difficult to catch up with the course material, but not so on the net.

99.9% of what a newbie need to know is easily available and accessible right here on CREOnline if the neophyte would take a few moments and look around. Not only can a novice learn without redundantly repetitively repeating a repetitious question already previously asked numerous many times, but in finding the answer she would probably uncover a few additional nuggets of information.

After you?ve taken the time to help yourself, by all means post any remaining questions you may have. Just a few moments of self-enlightenment, is that too much to ask?

So as I see it, there probably aren?t any dumb questions, just lazy ones, which in my opinion are far worse.

Re: Beginners Start Here … - Posted by GregNY

Posted by GregNY on December 25, 2001 at 18:30:41:

Or they can change the “Carlton Sheets Group” discussion board to “Beginners Forum”.
When I first started coming to this site I thought that the CS Group was for doing deals with his program.
Maybe there should be a change of the titles.
Just my $0.02.

GregNY

Lease-Options/ Lease-Purchase - Posted by Sally (WA)

Posted by Sally (WA) on December 25, 2001 at 17:22:10:

There have been some very detailed posts over the last few months on how different investors do l/o’s. If those folks could repost their information it would be a virtual how-to course in itself (especially Johnboy’s posts on the subject).

1031 Exchanges - Posted by Sally (WA)

Posted by Sally (WA) on December 25, 2001 at 17:13:02:

This seems to frequently come up but with variations of the code section.

Perhaps a primer on 1031’s gleaned from the information here and on the legal forum.

Subject to: - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 25, 2001 at 17:04:32:

Subject To:

This became a term of it’s own a few years back when in some ways it shouldn’t have.

It simply means that you take over (start making payments on) the existing mortage… subject to whatever else… other liens etc. You are not assuming the loan(s). The name on the loan will still be the the person that signed the note previously.

You do go ahead and take title, the most common preferred way being in a trust and/or another entity.

Net Terms - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on December 25, 2001 at 16:57:40:

“NT” Means No Text… means you didn’t type anything into the body of the message.

“Lol” Means Laugh out Loud

:slight_smile: is a representation of a smile… there are variations of this with a wink, open mouth for like omigosh etc.

ROTFLMAO means Rolling on the floor laughing my A** OFF.

IMHO means In My humble/honest Opinion

Re: Think, then post. - Posted by HB (socal)

Posted by HB (socal) on December 25, 2001 at 19:02:57:

The “NT” comment was sarcasm.

Next time I’ll highlight any sarcastic comments as follows…

*** sARcAsM AleRT!!! — SarCAsM ALerT!!! ****

But thanks for the definition!

###333### end sarcasm ###333###

Well, the perhaps the reason is… - Posted by Eric C

Posted by Eric C on December 25, 2001 at 22:58:36:

… that there are far more horse’s a$$es (equine posteriors) than there are really good house deals.

But then again, you’d have to find a market for them. And anything that common would have to be cheap, right?

Yours,

Eric C

PS- stay tuned for the post on equity sharing next week. Same time, same channel.

PPS - Hope you had a great Christmas and that you will have a wonderful New Year!

Yes,but… - Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich

Posted by Scott Ewing S.W. Mich on December 26, 2001 at 08:30:40:

that’s not what my guru_____________________ (insert name here) said on the informercial I just got and listened to as soon as ‘Jerry Springer’ was over. lol