Some people....Just a vent ;-) - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 29, 2005 at 19:13:05:

Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 27, 2005 at 18:34:36:

Ok, I just need to get this out, since it just happened.

a few days ago I found this vacant lot, got it under contract and offered it to the builder, that was already building on the 2 lots next to this onw. Offered it at a higher price than normal, since I figured he’d definitely wanted it. He did. I had put a FSBO sign in front and haven’t taken it down.

Yesterday I ahd an agent call me askin about it. I told her that it was already under contract and I told her what my price ahd been. At that time I also told her, that I’m an investor and that I have a list of about 20 builders that buy from me. Well today she called me again and asked for my list of builders. I told her, that I had worked hard to accumulate it and that these are people, that are performing. She said: well, you’re not an agent, so you won’t really need it as much as I do. She got really huffy, when I refused.

A year ago I had a newbie ask me for my carpenter. I told her, that I’d be happy to share any subs with her, but not the carpenter, since it had taken me a long time to find someone, that I could rely on and that I didn’t want him to be too busy for me, if I gave his name out. She got all insulted and called me selfish and that I would never get anywehre in this business, if I didn’t share etc.

Where does this sense of entitlement come from? Just as there’s occasionally someone here, that expects to get every little hard earned secret handed to them. What is it, that makes these people think, that everybody ownes them?

Just a rant on a saturday evening :wink:

Michaela

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on August 29, 2005 at 08:53:59:

Michaela:

Glad you’re able to vent here. What you’re talking about had been a recent topic of conversation with folks here at work as well as with my friends.

Seems folks today are materialistic, rude, crude, “in your face”, and “ballzy” (this was a new one that some used in my office I heard this week).

I was done telling friends at work that my little 5 year old (named Michaela - a beautiful name BTW) was being scolded, spanked, by my wife, and all the time, she was stepping on the toes of her older sister who tattled on her. One fella remarked that he’d quake in fear when he was spanked as a little boy, let alone do something naughty while spanked.

Another fella told of going home, and there was a traffic jam on a 3 lane wide service road. One guy was doubled parked, and another was stopped in the middle lane, chatting. He said to the wife and daughter in the car, “just for the fun of it, let me courteously ask them to move to the side, and see what the answer is”. Just as expected, they told him “FK Y

Was visiting an old decrepid local hospital that my dad checked in after falling down. We were downstairs because the nurses said “too many people in the room”. In came a couple with a 16 month old baby, and wanted to go upstairs" The receptionist said "sorry, you can’t take a 16 month old upstairs. The woman was YELLING, SCREAMING, carrying on, and kept repeating but “there’s NO SIGNS on the wall saying a 16 month old is not allowed”. Finally the receptionist relented to the relief of everyone in the waiting room as the women went upstairs. She looked in my direction and asked “maybe we should put a sign up”??

I said to her, “if your’re going to do it, add in no spitting on the floor, no roller skating in the hospital, no dancing naked in the hallways …”

Just glad that we’re able to vent here, and not “blow” someone away.

Frank Chin

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by vacationlover

Posted by vacationlover on August 28, 2005 at 21:37:47:

michaela,
Don’t let it get you down. I’ve found your posts quite informative and am always impressed at the new levels of depth of knowledge you have in your niche market.

The best to you.

-VL

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by swilli7

Posted by swilli7 on August 28, 2005 at 17:40:25:

just wanted to say that michaela has been more than helpful on this website. you have given me great advice.

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by JohnBoy

Posted by JohnBoy on August 28, 2005 at 11:39:29:

“Well today she called me again and asked for my list of builders. …you’re not an agent, so you won’t really need it as much as I do.”

That’s a GREAT IDEA! But first you will need to send me your complete list of all your listings, potential sellers, potential buyers, along with a signed and notarized document stating you grant me permission to contact them without your being present and allowing me to negotiate any offers I see fit to purchase their property or offer the sellers to buy a property I may have. After all, you’re just an agent and I am an investor, so I have more of a need for them than you do! LOL

Oh, and BTW, I need you to also agree to supply me with a complete list of every foreclosure lead that comes up on a regular basis.

Now as soon as you get me all this then I can supply you with my list of builders that you need!

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by bmeesh

Posted by bmeesh on August 27, 2005 at 22:16:07:

I am an agent and totally respect that…I have agents ask me for things all the time and I finally got to the point where I said no! It is never a win-win and I agree with you…I have a list of builders that I work with and put together…I also have a lady that cleans my house (who I don’t share) and tutors for my kids (that I don’t share). I share my hairdresser, nail ladies, lawn service…but there are some things I just don’t share anymore… I had an agent call me about a blind ad and tell me since we were with the same company I should tell her where the property was…I told her no because it was an area that I farmed…she got cranky (oops the creonline censor won’t let me say the “bit***” word haha and the rest is history…you go girl and as far as I am concerned screw em~

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on August 27, 2005 at 21:22:59:

I know you are not selfish, 'cause you share both time & knowledge w/us. Don’t let this twit get you down, kid–WE appreciate you!

Tye

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on August 27, 2005 at 20:22:13:

Nice post Michela…glad you could find the time to get it out.

I too get so tired of the same type things…I’ve been in the since the mid 1970’s and still at it and some of them seem to think that all the hard work, sacrifice, acquired knowledge, contacts, ie., all the things that you mentioned and more should be theirs for the asking…How dare you not tell me or give it to me. NOW!!!

Good for YOU!

Good LUck,
Bill H

Another idea - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on August 27, 2005 at 19:31:23:

Or just do like the credit card companies and tons of other marketing companies do. Offer to sell the list.

Tell the Realtor, I will sell you my list of names for a mere $100 per name.

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on August 27, 2005 at 19:07:40:

Havhad the same situation. “THEY” think tha thtere is noone out there that has more local knowledge then them… Sorry to say, but, I have more assetts than they can ever dream of having. I have more contacte than them as far as financing. I have other realtorrs calling me to look for deals than they will ever have. I don’t feel sorry for them I just fell sorry that they are really not trying. To bad, So sad…I have done mthis in less than 4 years in a really small town in sunny swfla.

thank you… - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 28, 2005 at 18:01:18:

that’s nice to know

Michaela

thank you n/t - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 28, 2005 at 18:46:22:

Re: Some people…Just a vent :wink: - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on August 28, 2005 at 18:36:42:

Substiute an “a” for the “i”.

also have had people ask me - Posted by I declined

Posted by I declined on August 27, 2005 at 22:51:00:

to be their mentor.

1 person asked me split my deals with them 50-50 and I was to supply all the leads, all the money, do all all the work, and share all me experience.

Another person asked me to change my work hours and schedule to conform to their schedule so that I could do a core dump of everything that I know, and so I could give them 50% of the profit so that they could support themselves and their family while they learned the business.

I declined.

Re: Another idea - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 28, 2005 at 06:45:01:

Rob,
that may sound like a good idea on first thought, but I agree with Kristine. Of course the amount is way too small - they might actually pay it ;-). But even for a higher amount - I have not across any other ivestor here, that concentrates to completely on vacant lots. Builders don’t have the time and tools to do that. They’re scrambling over every lot, that is being offered. If there are a number of people offering lots to them, they get more picky, since they might not have funds to buy them all, and mabye they won’t like my lots as much as somebody else’s. Maybe I won’t be able to get the prices, if the market is flooded wtih vacant lots? Right now, there are a lot of lots, that have been tax delinquent for years and have not gotten forclosed, because the city just can’t get as much as they get on houses. They don’t have time to also worry about the lots.

I forgot, the first time that agent called, she had also asked me to tell her how I found my lots. I told her that that’s my secret and she was quiet. I did blow up on her on yesterday’s call - lol

Michaela

Re: Another idea - Posted by Kristine-CA

Posted by Kristine-CA on August 28, 2005 at 02:13:53:

Rob: what if the agent says yes to buy the list of Michaela’s buyers for
$100 each? That’s $2K. I wouldn’t even sell such a list for 20K. If I
make more than 20K on a deal and I have lots of them to sell, I’d be
foolish to let someone else keep their money tied up for the price of
one deal, no?

Perhaps you were thinking that the Realtor would go away if asked to
pay for the list? If I were a wholesaler or an agent, I’d pay for such a
list–especially if I were in the kind of market Michaela is in.

Kristine

Re: Another idea - Posted by jaybird60

Posted by jaybird60 on August 27, 2005 at 22:45:04:

great ideal rob

Re: thank you… - Posted by Cletus

Posted by Cletus on August 28, 2005 at 19:19:02:

Michaela,

I just wanted to say all the advice you have given me has been very useful as well. The only time you blew it was convincing me to trade my circus monkey for that Shetland pony. That pony hasn’t played on those expensive monkey bars I put up to keep Mr. Bojangles happy even once. But the other side of that coin is I can go back to putting bannana slices on my Capt’n Crunch without having to get the evil eye from ol’ BJ for not sharing. On top of that I just came across a good deal a guy will let me have if, as he says, I can ‘pony up’ the down payment. I hope he’s not kiddin me…I’d like to get that side of the bed back.

;o)

Re: Another idea - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on August 28, 2005 at 18:21:11:

I was half-joking with my answer. I have an email blast list to about 500 different investors. I wouldn’t sell the list for $100,000.

At least by realizing that other people can and will pay big bucks for your list of contacts, you should realize that your list of builders and contacts is worth a heck of a lot of money and not just something to be given away for free.