Some people....Just a vent ;-) - Posted by michaela-ATL

Standard answers to people - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on August 28, 2005 at 08:43:04:

When people ask me: “How do you find those great deals?”, whether it is at a coctail party, my loan officer, a Realtor, whatever - I have developed a list of 3 answers that works for me. Before, I would stumble and mumble something stupid, trying not to give away my secrets without being harsh. But now I have the list, and pick one depending on the demeanor of the person asking.

Possible answers:

1. “Refferals” This is an answer that leaves them hanging. It sounds good but they can’t figure out how I get the refferals.

2. “Contacts” Again, sounds good but does not say much.

3. “I could tell you but then I would have to kill you!” - followed with a good laugh, this can diffuse the question and yet they understand what you are saying.

Re: Another idea - Posted by Brian (UT)

Posted by Brian (UT) on August 28, 2005 at 13:19:51:

Kristine is right, this info is to valulable, When I was beginning as an investor, so were some of my people just beginning and we felt since we weren’t keeping their income up to where it should be consistantly, that we would recommend them to others. It turned out to be great for them but bad for us. Keep them a secret.

As a Realtor I found a way to catch executives that were being transfered into my area. There were 3 international employers that were moving people all the time and it envolved upper end homes. All 3 companies only co-operated with the largest real estate company in town, calling them when the new employee started his job.

Anyway, when the other company found out these prospects were already working with me, they went crazy. They started asking my agents over lunch and a few drinks how I was doing it, they even offered my secretary a $1,000 for the info. Finally they hired a
private detective to follow me. When I was having static problems on my phone a client of mine that worked for the phone company looked at it and found the line had been tapped. They never did find out, but they were given the answer when they did a phoney survey of people I sold to, and couldn’t put 2&2 together.

My answer to requests became “what are you going to do with the information if I give it to you?” Their
reply was usually “nothing”, my response was “good, so then you don’t really need it!”

Brian

Re: Another idea - Posted by Brian (UT)

Posted by Brian (UT) on August 28, 2005 at 13:19:02:

Kristine is right, this info is to valulable, When I was beginning as an investor, so were some of my people just beginning and we felt since we weren’t keeping their income up to where it should be consistantly, that we would recommend them to others. It turned out to be great for them but bad for us. Keep them a secret.

As a Realtor I found a way to catch executives that were being transfered into my area. There were 3 international employers that were moving people all the time and it envolved upper end homes. All 3 companies only co-operated with the largest real estate company in town, calling them when the new employee started his job.

Anyway, when the other company found out these prospects were already working with me, they went crazy. They started asking my agents over lunch and a few drinks how I was doing it, they even offered my secretary a $1,000 for the info. Finally they hired a
private detective to follow me. When I was having static problems on my phone a client of mine that worked for the phone company looked at it and found the line had been tapped. They never did find out, but they were given the answer when they did a phoney survey of people I sold to, and couldn’t put 2&2 together.

My answer to requests became “what are you going to do with the information if I give it to you?” Their
reply was usually “nothing”, my response was “good, so then you don’t really need it!”

Brian

Re: thank you… - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 29, 2005 at 06:39:17:

Cletus,

should the ‘pony deal’ not work out, then remember the great manure you could make. I mean, they always say, that ‘curb appeal’ is sooo important in rel estate. You could create your own compost heap in the backyard and create special fertilizer, which will make your yard the prettiest yard in the neighborhood. Since worms also help in making compost, you could also start a worm farm - voila - killed 2 butterflys with one q-tip.

So, you see, should you have to keep the pony, it wouldn’t be so bad :wink:

Michaela

Re: Standard answers to people - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 28, 2005 at 09:45:15:

Ken,

Those are also good answers to the perennial question from friends who have a vague idea of what I do: “so how many houses to do you own?”

Truthfully, I usually don’t know the answer because the number changes a lot, but “I don’t know” has actually made people angry (why they think I owe them this info is beyond me). I like your answer #3 best.

Anne

Re: Standard answers to people - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 28, 2005 at 09:14:05:

Ken,

thank you. I will keep those answers in mind. I’m usually so taken by surprise, when someone actually asks for those details, that I’m kind of speechless. I would think that it’s obvious, that I wouldn’t give out this kind of info.

Michaela

Re: thank you… - Posted by Cletus

Posted by Cletus on August 29, 2005 at 16:19:25:

Thanks Michaela,

Actually, I’m not making any of the manure, Road Apples does that all by hisself, and lots of it at that. Normally we just take the good ones and wrap them in plastic wrap tied with a ribbon. These make great Christmas ornaments and we give them out to family and friends. Last Christmas Thelma Mae said Buford bit in to one by accident, and although he seemed to like it, she wouldn’t kiss him until he brushed his tooth. Can’t say I blame her much, he said it was just the excuse of the month as always.

That ‘curb appeal’ thing still gets my goat. We got a ‘Special Assessment’ from the county for $2600 to put curbs on our street once they paved it. We appealed it and lost. I just don’t understand why folks are so all fired up about that kind of thing.

I like the idea about the worm farm. I’ll bet the fish would go crazy for worms that taste like apples. Btw, I put a couple of q-tips in the butter today. Hasn’t killed any of the flies yet, but it sure fancies up the butter dish. Thanks for that tip, Martha Stewert has nothing on you.

;o)

Re: Standard answers to people - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on August 29, 2005 at 07:36:40:

Answer to “How many houses do you own?”:

“That is a hard question to answer. I have some rentals, some I am fixing up to sell, and some that I only own partial interest in with partners.”

Again, question answered but then again not. Like you, I probably could not answer truthfully if I was on the witness stand, because it does change so much and do you count something sold on a land contract, or one set to close in 3 days, or one under contract to buy - even if you could remember?

“None of your GD business!” would be the correct response, but does not work well at cocktail parties. :slight_smile:

Ken

Re: Standard answers to people - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on August 28, 2005 at 10:56:32:

When I’m asked the same question,I tell them I don’t own any. That’s the truth. All our properties are bought into trusts. One of the companies being the trutee and another holding the beneficial interest.

Own nothing, control everything.

Barry (FL)

darn right… - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 29, 2005 at 16:47:52:

Martha stewart has nothing on me! She may have been a model, but she can’t compete with this gorgeous 460lb gal. I let go of the green dreadlocks and I’m back with mohawk - pink this time.

Also, when trying to sell real estate, don’t overlook the importance of fenk schway. A house facing south is the most lucky orientation. So, if your house is facing east, route people in through a side window, insisting, that this is the front door. Another rule is to not have the door to the bathroom open, so install an extra set of attic stairs in the bathroom ceiling, so people can reach the bathroom through the attic to avoid ever opening the bathroom door. Flushing with the lid open is a ‘no-no’, so install a motion detector in the seat, that will disable the lever, while the lid is up.

Michaela

Standard answers to people - Posted by Young Jedi

Posted by Young Jedi on August 29, 2005 at 18:11:07:

That last one is the truth! But you’re right; it doesn’t get a nice reception.

I like to answer the invasion of privacy questions with a question of my own. Put the ball back in their court, so to speak.

Q: “How many houses do you own?”

A: “Why do you ask?”

Q: “How much money do you make?”

A: “Who wants to know?”

Q: “How do you find your deals?”

A: “Why would anyone answer that question?”

And so forth. It works pretty well for me.
Put the other party on the defensive.
They get the point without me having to get nasty - most of the time.

I agree - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 28, 2005 at 12:27:14:

I used to say I own nothing, but I live in a small city where everyone knows everything. So I can say I own nothing (and be truthful) but then they start in on: well, my colleague rents from you and my sister was turned down by you for the cute little blue house on XX street- they don’t appreciate the difference between controlling and owning and I don’t want to enlighten them, so I just usually say “sorry, but on the advice of my attorney I don’t answer that question”- but I like Ken’s answer better.

Anne

Good stuff. Cletus has a comrade - Posted by John Behle

Posted by John Behle on August 29, 2005 at 17:18:45:

Funny. Thanks. I’ve always enjoyed Cletus and welcome more. But, we need to come up with a “Cletus” type name. With the Mohawk and 460lbs then maybe “Mrs Big” would work. No, on second throught anything but that.

Re: I agree - Posted by Barry (FL)

Posted by Barry (FL) on August 29, 2005 at 18:26:03:

yeah, in a small town where evryone knows your business, his answer would be best.

When people ask me what I do, I tell them I’m a recycler! LOL

.Them thar are fightin’ words… - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on August 29, 2005 at 17:30:33:

"mrs big’ is definitely out!!!

Thanks for your kind words, but I definitely can’t compare to the master. “I’m not worthy, I’m not worty” - (kneeling on the floor and bowing isn’t all that easy with 99" girth" ;-))

Michaela

OOPS! Barry is not a girl! - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 29, 2005 at 20:19:37:

Sorry Barry, I was responding to Michaela’s post about being a ‘homewrecker’.

I’m tired from all the homewrecking I did today.

Anne

You are on a roll, Girl! - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on August 29, 2005 at 20:17:26:

Too funny, I like it.

Anne