One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on December 01, 2006 at 18:48:37:

‘tweren’t nuthin’

;-)3

One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on December 01, 2006 at 18:20:36:

Pardon me, but I’m having a little private anniversary celebration today. You see:

One year ago today, I embarked on my career of self-employment through doing Lonnie Deals. One year ago today, I was carrying about 40 notes averaging about $225 each, and had two land-homes, only one of which was bringing in any income (@ $650/mo rent).

One year ago today, I left my federal J.O.B. which I had held for 15 years; I had been dissatisfied for the last three, and had been doing LDs for four. It took a huge leap of faith to bring my family along into the unknown abyss, but we had the health insurance nailed, the LDs were bringing in double my J.O.B. income, which figured into paying our mortgage, family expenses, and still about 2K to 4K monthly to continue growing the business.

One year ago today, I took a deep breath, kept my eyes wide open, and jumped.

And I landed on both feet.

One year ago today, I didn’t realize that I would be working harder now than I ever did during those 8-hour days, but I enjoy it, and I take GREAT satisfaction in the fact that I am rewarded directly relative to how well I invest. I can work as much or as little as I want. I do exercise my pen more than any other tool, except maybe my gas pedal, but I am providing for my family, as well as for other families, both directly through hiring labor and indirectly by selling affordable terms for safe, clean housing. I am spending more time with my kids, my wife, and myself. (Not enough time with ol’ Mr. Quickbooks, though!)

One year ago today, I wondered if i was making the right move, at the right time. It took me only a few months to realize, I could have left a year earlier. I realize that my stool is lopsided, but we’re working on that - adding equity to the portfolio, and lump sums of cash occasionally, to work towards leveling the three-legged stool of MH investing.

One year ago today, I realized the debt of gratitude I owed Lonnie, Tony & Scott, Ernest, John Hyre, and many others in this community who dont (yet!) have a book published, but have helped me in ways they cannot imagine. Truly, my best friends are the ones here, who think like me, and most who think smarter than me (not all, but there are some! ;-)3 Thank you to all who have made the mistakes I have learned from. I hope to NOT reciprocate!

One year ago today, I knew it could be done, but I wondered if I could do it. Self employed, two kids still in school, expensive house and mortgage, and getting paid for this . . . this . . . this hobby! Now I know, I can do it.

You may be wondering if this is all its cracked up to be. It’s not all roses, its not all home runs, but with PERSISTENCE, a little HUMILITY, and willingness to keep LEARNING, and keep pushing outside of your COMFORT ZONES, you truly can provide for your own financial security better than anyone else can. But you ain’t gonna do it from that comfy spot. Only if you GOTC and start, will you want to continue.

Yes, you can.

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Stephen VA

Posted by Stephen VA on December 05, 2006 at 06:55:33:

Kudos to you Steve!

“The quality of a person’s life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor.” Vince Lombardi

Thank you for sharing your “commitment to excellence” on this forum.

All the best.
Stephen

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Jerry-WA

Posted by Jerry-WA on December 04, 2006 at 11:01:49:

It was just over a year ago that I stumbled onto this site and was greeted by Steve, who actually took the time to phone me! His advice has been and continues to be very valuable and his posts are always informative. Thanks and congrats Steve!

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Barry (GA)

Posted by Barry (GA) on December 04, 2006 at 10:15:47:

Way to go! Couldn’t have happened to a “kinder gentler” guy! :wink:

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on December 04, 2006 at 09:32:54:

Great job Steve!

It’s really nice when folks can see a ‘regular guy’ take charge of his life in such a profound way. It’s a real inspiration for those of us who strive to achieve what you have.

You are a genuine ass?et to this board. I could not think of a person I’d rather have call me a bonehead when I do something questionable.

Keep it up Steve!

-Berno

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on December 04, 2006 at 09:23:45:

yeah, yeah…

Just don’t think this entitles you to give advice to newbies. LOL!

Nice job Steve!

Ms. LLC

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Briton (IN)

Posted by Briton (IN) on December 04, 2006 at 01:50:38:

Glad to hear you are doing well Steve.

Briton

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on December 03, 2006 at 19:46:24:

Congrats on your first year of financial freedom Steve. It is amazing how such freedom changes your life, your family life, your perspectives of time and money and so much more.

It is so cool to see friends make it out of the rat race and to read posts of those I have yet to meet. Controlling your own destiny is a unique resposibility in this world. Not everyone is cut out for it and not everyone is willing to put for the effort to achieve it.

Steve I am glad you are one of them.

Tony

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on December 03, 2006 at 18:26:20:

You’ve earned it, Steve. You’ve earned it w/ your hard work and your willingness to GOTC and push the comfort zones. And you’ve inspired many others to do the same. THAT’s what’s impressive to me. Your willingness to give back and help others is appreciated by many, and especially me.

Friend in MO,
Michael(KCMO)

Congrats Steve! - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on December 03, 2006 at 14:44:28:

Tis an awesome and wonderful thing you have done - and continue to do. Thanks for sharing this with us. It truly is inspirational to read of these milestones and successes.

I don’t have a drink handy, but I can raise my hammer and screwdriver to toast to your glorious FREEDOM. Is that okay? :slight_smile:

All the best to ya!

Chris

One year ago… - Posted by Greg Meade

Posted by Greg Meade on December 03, 2006 at 14:39:38:

…you were a year younger beah LOL and plannin’ on coming to the deep south for a few days…almost that time again! You are an inspiration to so many Steve (you big sarcastic meanie LOL)

Heard good things on your meeting!

your friend,

Greg

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by osupscyho (OK)

Posted by osupscyho (OK) on December 03, 2006 at 08:11:17:

Steve,

Congratulations on the first year of many more successful ones after the JOB!!

I truly say that without you I would be no where near to where I am now and will be in the future. Thank you for all that you do (including a good butt kicking occasionally).

Jad

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Ruben (KCKS)

Posted by Ruben (KCKS) on December 02, 2006 at 22:41:05:

Congrats on your anniversary Steve. When I met you last year I had just purchased my first deal but had not sold it yet. After talking to you, Ray and Marty that day I was inspired to continue on the mobile home path. I can honestly say that you have been a big influence on my in my short mobile home investing career. Your posts are straight and to the point but most importantly are filled with wisdom that is freely shared. This board would not be the same without you and each time you post I am anxious to see what golden nugget of advice you will share with us.

Congrats again on your achievements and on what is to come in year two of job freedom.

A Member of the Steve WA Club for Mobile Home Deal Junkies Ruben D. Flores

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by wondering

Posted by wondering on December 02, 2006 at 16:58:56:

Many congrats to you. You are obviously a successful go-getter.

But I have some questions if you don’t mind. What I see you doing is replacing your income from one job and creating another job with your Lonnie business. A job that you like which is great, but still you need to continually work to keep bringing in the same amount of income each month. How do you plan to get to the point where you can just quit working if you wanted to?

If you planned to have a 10k per month passive retirement income, you would need 2.4 million cash in the bank at 5%. How could you do this? Can Lonnie deals realistically provide this much cash within a reasonably short time, say under 10 years, so you could quit working? Or do you need to progress into land-home deals or MHPs? I’m just wondering how any successful person like yourself would plan, if possible, to retire reasonably quick from doing a Lonnie business?

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Gary

Posted by Gary on December 02, 2006 at 01:17:45:

Steve,
My wife reading your post over my shoulder says “cool” he’s a nice guy. BTW, she has 16 days yet to work and we both will be full time investors.
Continued success to you.

Gary

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by will(wa)

Posted by will(wa) on December 01, 2006 at 22:59:38:

Steve, with every post of yours I always learn something new, thanks. You’ve shown even more proof this can be done if you work at it!

Will

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on December 01, 2006 at 22:45:21:

Besides achieving financial freedom for you and your family, you’ve also been an immeasurable help to myself and others who have benefited from your willingness to share your experiences.

As I type this, I have to stop and think about what “freedom” really means. While some people in this world would consider freedom the right to go work a job of their choice without government control, we as a nation are free to pursue an even higher level of freedom, that of choosing how to spend ALL our time and provide for our families.

To live as free citizens in this great country is a priviledge indeed. To have the resources and support provided by Lonnie, yourself, and so many others here is a blessing that I hope none of us take for granted.

Congratulations on your success, Steve, and thank you for all you’ve done to encourage and motivate others, even when you don’t realize it.

Jeff

Re: One Year Ago Today: - Posted by Ryan (NC)

Posted by Ryan (NC) on December 01, 2006 at 22:26:09:

The future is looking a brighter and brighter every day my friend. It was just a couple years ago that I had a little phrase running through my head as I stood in a nice trailer that I knew was a deal… “if you’re going to do this you gotta Get Off The Couch”

You’ve help many of us along the path to a better future, that leap of faith in to the unknown is scary to say the least… Happy anniversary, my hats off to you for everything you’ve accomplished!

Best wishes,
Ryan Needler

I’ll drink to that - Posted by Keith (OH)

Posted by Keith (OH) on December 01, 2006 at 20:33:35:

Way to go Steve !!!

If that doesn’t get everyone motivated then there is nothing that can.

Happy Anniversary and many more…