I wonder

Over the last year or so there has been a significant trend in the number of people who post vs. those who read. We still see that posts are being read hundreds of times but there are only a handful of folks who routinely respond. This is most unfortunate as I know so many can learn from our expriences and mistakes but also because I know first hand that sometimes I post a response only to realize that a recent, poor exprience I suffered was directly a result of not following that advice. This might be something as simple as following up on a notice to a tenant or making a certain repair. The point is that we are doing ourselves and others a disservice by not posting.

But “I wonder” if this is as a sign of technological advances more than anything else?

For example, I am by no means a tech savy guy but about a year ago I upgraded my cellphone to an android that does everything from email, internet surface, text and even makes an occassional phone call.

Now I admit that I do most of my online reading from the phone while killing time during the day. I don’t post from the phone.

Is this the trend that is causing us to see more people reading than posting? I wonder.

Tony

Tony,

I have no idea what might be happening here and if the CREOnline site is representative of the RE online sector.

What I do know from various forums (different topics, mostly RE and technology) is there is about a 100 to 1 ratio. For every person who posts there is about 100 people who are more passively reading. They might post a few times when something really strikes them. Mostly they just read and listen to the speakers who are more active.

I do not see it as a reflection of the type of technology as the ratio was discussed before there were any smartphones. It is an off the cuff estimate rather than hard science.

Similar to how a club or party needs the A list people to show up before things will get going.

Tony, I think that posts having to do with strategies, techniques, and tactics of deal making just lend themselves more readily to discussion than rental operations. On the most well-known landlording site the posts with the highest number of replies are always those that have to do with making deals (dollar amounts included). And that from a site with Landlord in its name; this site titled “creative real estate” surely prefers deal making topics.
I thought that the revamp of this site; making it possible for us to include pictures would be a hit. It was not. Few people care what kind of cabinet or floor covering I use; at least not enough to reply…and really what can they say? I like it! That looks awful! Either way not much of a conversation starter.

I think that the lack of posting may be a result of the lack of excitement about our asset class. I see that as a good thing as it is a sign to me that the air has been deflated and the coast is clear to begin taking advantage of the spoils, and I am finally seeing some spoils in my market in Buncombe County, NC.

Tracy

When things were exciting and deals were everywhere, it still required the overcoming of inertia (GOTC) to actually do something in this business.

Now that the business is generally down and the old timers (like me) see this as generally less lucrative than before, I suspect there is even more effort required to overcome the inertia. Thus there are fewer people attempting deals and fewer people to post questions or successes.

Steve

Dr. B,

What is it about today that makes it less lucrative than before? Regulation, less demand, etc? Finally have some time to get started with LDs in a few weeks so this information will be very useful.

Thanks!

Each area is unique. If you live near any of the oil and gas fracing sites (North Dakota, SW Texas, western Pennsylvania, Eastern Ohio and soon Western New York, you can be very busy.

Yes, regulation is up in most states, demand is down. So overcoming gummit interference, and selling to no-one-there makes the business harder in my area. One caveat: I am finding the usual, location, location, location remains the #1 factor in success or not.

[QUOTE=Dr B(OH);885119]One caveat: I am finding the usual, location, location, location remains the #1 factor in success or not.[/QUOTE]

Lower unemployment/higher population usually is a good start, yes?

Without giving it much thought, you would think that a tougher economy, higher unemployment, tighter bank lending would make owner financed mobile homes more attractive…

What is it that is bringing demand down then? Less socially acceptable than in the past?

Just trying to generate some discussion since, like I said, I plan to be starting soon.

Thanks!

Tony, during recent memory, when the private economy was still the main engine of activity and growth, when the ‘can-do’ attitude was prevalent, when the future seemed to be full of promise, when entrepreneurship was valued ,the success stories were common. Eloquent writers, teachers, such as Karl Warner, Karl Kleiner, Steve Chase, Greg Meade, Ryan Needler, John Hyre, yourself and many other successful MH investors discussed relevant topics and even responded to the most infantile queries. Optimism has morphed into serious uncertainty and pessimism for future expectations. As you know, many of our active contributors became victims of political and economic circumstances. Others, for personal reasons, have ceased to participate. I also believe that there are additional reasons for the apparent decline in contributors to this and other sites. The MH business is not an isolated, unrelated endeavor to life, to philosophy, to politics, to economics, to demographics, to science and technology, to human interaction, and so on. With most of our discussions we seem to limit ourselves to the same narrow topics with which we are all too familiar, while we ignore the effects of human actions which create major and minor (local) trends that may determine or require adjustment to our business plan. Technology is not an obstacle but a facilitator for information and communication. Some people are by nature and by philosophy producers, others are one paycheck away from bankruptcy; still others have chosen the lifestyle of the pure consumer, or have joined the plant kingdom. Each of us is responsible for the life we lead. Each of us will reap and harvest the fruits we plant, whether we like it or not, including those which were seeded by those who consider themselves to be our betters. So, how does this “philosophizing” relate to the original topic of “many readers, few responders”? We should be aware of all the influences in our lives, our actions and reactions, as well as strictly the MH Q. and A. Will that get more responders? It remains to be seen.

Dude, I’m jus’ tired. . .

Steve,
Don’t worry; it will pass. Drink plenty of filtered water, get plenty of rest, eat wholesome, natural foods, and take supplements and exercise. Also, try reading a good book.

I will to my embarressment admit that I have had trouble adapting to the format change. I say embarrased because my motto is “Embrace Change” and yet how long has it been? I see many advantages to the new style forum. I just have not posted often enough to get through the learning and comfort curve.

Second, I was never a major poster in the first place. Mainly because my business is not exclusively MH’s. I think my last post related to what I was doing to increase the added value to individual properties in Lieu of adding more properties to my portfolio. Or maybe it was on the debate of good debt vs. bad debt business models. I do gain relavant information from reading others posts and replies and feel I should share my experiences as well.

In a nutshell MH’s and MHP’s are only one of the income/investment streams that make up my investment portfolio. My portfolio is dominated by Stick built SFH but also includes, some multi family, mortgages, warehouse, commercial, office and my newest addition is grid tied solar and now I am looking at making my first move toward a foreclosed self storage facility. I have developed land and built spec homes during the hay day. Being a Contractor, Real Estate Broker and an Auctioneer are all viewed as a means to fuel my investment business.

Karl (TN)