Wood flooring - Posted by Mike in KC

Posted by Steve-WA on June 07, 2005 at 17:24:55:

eeebaye

;-)3

Wood flooring - Posted by Mike in KC

Posted by Mike in KC on June 06, 2005 at 21:59:37:

Has anyone used wood flooring from Sam’s Club? I have priced it at Lowes, Home Depot and Sam’s and it 30 cents cheaper per square foot at Sam’s. I think I want to use this Pergo type flooring in place of carpet in all of the homes that I upgrade and sell.

I saw Michael in KCMO’s pictures and his new floors look great. I plan to install this flooring in my new $800 trailer this week. I plan on selling it for $9000 cash or 12,500 on credit.

Re: Wood flooring - Posted by Mike in KC

Posted by Mike in KC on June 08, 2005 at 21:45:47:

SC has it for 1.57 per square foot. It comes with foam backing.

Re: Wood flooring - Posted by Sailor

Posted by Sailor on June 07, 2005 at 19:29:18:

Not sure if you are referring to wood or laminate, but I have laminate in my studio, bedroom, halls, kitchen & 3 baths. Very pleased w/it, though the early Pergo was a mess to clean up the glue. Now it just snaps together, & there are types that can be used in kitchens & baths. Laminates are easy to clean, last much longer than carpet, & are easy to install. Knowing 1st hand what tenants do to carpeting, I would definitely use laminate flooring for any future rentals. It makes a lot of sense in a MH here because we have an awful time finding a good carpet layer willing to come to our rural county, & there is a minimum job cost.

That said, I have been extremely pleased w/the white porcelain floor tile installed in a bath in a short-term rental cottage I designed. It has held up perfectly for a decade. The cottage is very upscale & I wanted an old-fashioned look to compliment the fixtures, so I chose the 6-sided small bathroom tiles I remembered from my childhood. They were not expensive, though the bath is tiny enough that even had they been pricier it would not have been a deterrent. Using contrasting black grout was a bit messy, but has resulted in a floor that looks the same as it did the day it was installed. There have been many tenants there in the past 10 years, but not one has left a permanent mark on that tile floor. Because laminate flooring, even the kind that is water-resistant, w/eventually succumb to careless bathroom usage, I think I w/consider the small tile/black grout combo in a MH I rehab I have in escrow (that wasn’t a choice, but included in a MHP deal).

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that ugly isn’t any cheaper (especially in paint colors), so I try to make things as nice as possible in rentals. My working hypothesis is that most folks behave nicer in more attractive surroundings, but not all the empirical evidence supports that notion–

Tye

Re: Wood flooring - Posted by Michael(KCMO)

Posted by Michael(KCMO) on June 07, 2005 at 17:22:52:

Mike,

I didn’t even know SC carried stuff like that. How much is theirs?

I remember from my previous research (about a year ago) that about the cheapest I could possibly find it was about .79 a square foot. I found a few sources on the internet for about that price too. I don’t remember the websites, though, so you’ll have to do a search.

Feel free to call me if you need any help.

Michael Stilfield
816-665-5408

Re: Wood flooring - Posted by Dan (Michigan)

Posted by Dan (Michigan) on June 07, 2005 at 12:27:35:

I just finished up a home with laminate flooring and it turned out nice. It’s more costly than carpet and more work, but it looks nice and will add greater value to the home. I don’t know if I will install another laminate floor anytime soon. I’ve had my fill for now.

I picked up my material from CostCo. It was the best price I could find.