Why 'Real Estate Investor' is a turn-off...... - Posted by Irving

Posted by Joe Kaiser on June 15, 2001 at 14:08:45:

It’s because they think you just came from a real estate seminar and you’re planning to make lots of dumb offers that waste everyone’s time.

It took me a long time to figure out what to tell people when they asked what it is I do. It seemed like whatever I said required further explanation and that wasn’t anything I was interested in doing.

I heard one speaker say to call yourself a “developer.” That lasted about a week and I felt dumb every time I uttered the words.

Today whenever anyone asks what I do, I just say “I buy and sell houses.” That’s conrete, means I’m actually getting things done and doesn’t sound mysterious or fancy.

Best of all . . . it doesn’t require an asterisk.

Joe

Why ‘Real Estate Investor’ is a turn-off… - Posted by Irving

Posted by Irving on June 15, 2001 at 13:44:46:

Why is it so many people, brokers too, feel negative when they hear," I’m a Real Estate Investor?" It seems to connect with their past experiences and what do you think they may be? Do some of you fare better not using that real estate broker phrase? Would people feel deceived if you aren’t up-front about who you are?

Re: Why ‘Real Estate Investor’ is a turn-off… - Posted by Richard Roop

Posted by Richard Roop on June 16, 2001 at 13:26:41:

Brokers operate from a history of “investors” who did not know what they were doing, or did not do what they said they would do.

Other people may have an impression that real estate investors must profit by taking advantage of others.

I tell people “I buy houses from people who don’t want to the hassle and uncertainty of selling it on their own or through an agent.” Or I may say:

I’m an investor looking to buy more houses,

I own a real estate investment company,

I manage a number of properties in the area,

I run a real estate aquisition company.

• Richard