wholesaling - Posted by Rick

Posted by Mike on February 17, 2005 at 08:18:22:

What’s the “additional out of pocket amount” in that calculation cover? I’m assuming Misc expenses is contingency money.

wholesaling - Posted by Rick

Posted by Rick on February 16, 2005 at 05:08:39:

Has anyone heard of Graystone? They have a course called the Inverse Purchase Method but they want $4000.oo for it. I was just wondering if it was any different than other courses, and what is the best one for learning how to wholesale houses. I’ve been interested in this a while now. I’m new and only have an idea how it works from watching the posts on here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: wholesaling - Posted by JC

Posted by JC on April 07, 2005 at 01:02:36:

Graystone Is VERYVERY expensive…Cheaper methods are out there

Re: wholesaling - Posted by sam

Posted by sam on February 16, 2005 at 12:48:46:

I read this a few weeks back on another site and found it enlightening… hope it helps you.

For the purpose of this post the term Birddogging and Flipping will mean the SAME thing.

DEFINITION: A Birddogger is someone who identifies a good real estate investment opportunity and puts the property under conctract with the sole intent of assigning that contract for a fee to a rehabber to repair and resell.

With that in-mind I believe that birddogs are getting as frustrated with the current state of the real estate investment market in the DFW area as many rehabbers are. I understand that many of you are professionals who take the time to look at a deal from the perspective of the rehabber and only put a contract on a house that has enough room, after your assignment fee, repairs, holding costs and selling costs, for the rehabber to make a decent profit (typically 15 - 20% of sales price). I also realize that many of you are frustrated because you will assign a good contract to a “rehabber” who tells you they can close, who then turns around and assigns your contract to someone else who may or may not be able to close. The process takes the profit out of the deal so that if it ever is shown to a “real” rehabber…there is nothing left it for them…no one closes you don’t get paid and you wasted your time.

Another problem that I see happening all to often is that new birddogs that don’t have a good understanding of this business yet are out-bidding the “pros” for the property without taking into account all of the cost associated with rehabbing/selling the property. Then, what could have been a good deal for all ends up either not closing, because a Hard Money Lender will not fund enough or a “real” rehabber will pass on it for the same reasons listed in the preceeding paragraph. No Profit.

With all this being said I want to try again to help the new birddogs and those “pros” that are getting frustrated because their contracts are not closing, see what they can do differently to ensure that most if not all of the properties they place under contract will be assigned and will close.

Rob’s Rules to Birddogging:
Treat this like a real business: This means you may have to make an investment in your business in order to make money. If you want to earn a $2000 - $3000 (or more) assignment fee you had better do the leg work required for a rehabber to quickly evaluate your deal.

You need to be able to estimate repairs accurately (within 20%). If you can’t, then how will you know if a deal IS a deal?

You need to know how to “comp” a deal. This does not mean that you grab the other For Sales listing in the neighborhood and call those prices “comps”. It means you will need to use the Dealinator or other service to see what the recent SOLD Comps in the subdivision are and what is the avg Days On Market(DOM).

When you estimate the selling price (to see if there is enough room in the deal for everyone) please use the Lowest or Average selling price per square foot not the top end. “Real” Rehabbers will want to sell the property fast (at a discount) since they are often paying Hard Money rates. That means they will look at the potential selling price based upon the Low to Avg Selling price of the Comps.

Understand how Holding Cost effect a deal: If I am buying the house for $100,000 plus your $2500 assignment fee + $7500 in repairs that means I may be borrowing upto $110,000 from a Hard Money Lender. At 14% Annual Interest that house costs me $1283.33 every month I own it. This is why the DOM is so improtant for you to know when you are evaluating a deal. You need to know that if the Avg. DOM is 90 days…your rehabber will need to spend $3850 in loan payments (using the above example). That amount needs to be calculated in the deal.

Only assign your contract to a “REAL” Rehabber not someone who is going to flip it again. If it gets flipped again the odds are good that you have wasted your time and the deal will not close.

Use a TREC contract. WHY? Because the rehabber will proabably need to borrow the funds to purchase/repair the property and the Hard Money Lender/Bank will want to see a REAL real estate contract.

I know that many of you think that I am asking too much of you. You want me/us to pay you $2000 - $3000 dollars for finding a deal. I/we want you to only bring us deals worth looking at otherwise we have both wasted out time. I have spoken to may “REAL” Rehabbers over the last few days. People that can and do actually close on deals every week/month.

We are all frustrated by the type of deals that are being offered to us and consequently these deals are NOT getting closed…by anyone! All we are asking of you is that you spend an hour or less doing your “Due Diligence” before you put a contract on a house that you want to later assign. Treat this like a business and don’t try to assign something that no one wants to close on.

A typical deal by the numbers (this is how I and many “real” Rehabbers look at a deal)

Max Selling Price* : $150,000.00
Acquasition Cost** : - $7,500.00
Repairs (estimated) : - $9,000.00
Four month Average. Hold Cost : -$4,900.00
Min Profit (15%) : - $22,500.00
Misc expenses (5%) : - $7,500.00
Cost to Sell*** (5%) : - $7,500.00
Max Purchase Price : $91,100.00
Additional out-of pocket amount : $7,500.00
(Not covered by loan)

FYI: Max HM Loan amount**** $105,000

• based upon selling it fast and based on the low to avg selling price/sqft
    ** Title work, Dwelling Ins., Loan Fees & assignment fees
    *** Listing with someone like MyCastle.com for 3% plus $500, Closing costs, etc.
    **** Hard Money Lender loan amount based on a max of 70% ARV

If you are not doing this math on every deal you are considering putting under contract then you are not earning your assignment fee. This is a business. Like every business you are only paid when you sell your product or service. Make sure you sell everyone of your deals by only doing delas that can be bought by a real rehabber.

This post may seem a bid harsh to some of you. I don’t want to insult anyone or hurt anyones feelings. You may not agree with what I have said but believe me when I tell you if you want to sell a deal to me or 99% of the other “real” rehabbers that can close…you will need to keep what I have said in mind. I do this same math on EVERY deal I look at buying…if it doesn’t work…I walk!

Re: wholesaling - Posted by Rob_Tx

Posted by Rob_Tx on February 16, 2005 at 11:56:07:

Rick,

Zack has some great info in his post. A definate good way to start. The one thing I would add is - when you start building your buyers list, don’t run an add in the paper just to talk to buyers. Some courses advocate this. Talk to the local REIclub people as a start for investor buyers and then realtors, title people, mortgage people, etc…

I am doing my first deal, where I found the property, tied it up for $600 ernest money and then ran my add to find buyers. 30 people called on the add. Some were interestred some weren’t but I found out where they like to invest and what they are looking for. So, now I have my buyers list and can work those areas because I know I have a buyer if I get one at a good price.

Good luck

Rob

Re: wholesaling - Posted by jeff

Posted by jeff on February 16, 2005 at 10:35:39:

need to know a good course that is reliable as well as a good way to borrow enough money to put a property under contract so i can flip the property. so far i haven’t been able to put a property under contract for less than $2000. looking to flip enough properties so i can stand on my own 2 feet.

Re: wholesaling - Posted by Zack W

Posted by Zack W on February 16, 2005 at 10:13:41:

Rick,

Wholesaling is a great way to get started in real estate, HOWEVER, you need to know a few things before you get started. Below is a quick list [in order] of what you need to do/know before you start wholesaling.

1] Know your market inside and out. This can not be done overnight, probably will take a couple weeks if not months.

2] Learn what repairs cost so you will be able to estimate what it will cost to bring a property back to market standards.

3] Educate yourself on double closings and the assignment technique. There is a ton of information on this website pertaining to the subject.

4] Find a title company that understands flips and assignments.

5] Get your paperwork in order.

6] Find buyers. You want to have buyers lined up before you even make an offer, this way your not stuck with the deal. Make sure your buyers are pre approved with a lender [preferably hard money to avoid deed seasoning issues] or have cash.

7] Make low ball offers and tie up a good deal. Make sure there is enough room in the deal for your profit as well as your buyers profit.

8] Order title search.

9] Sign contract with your buyer. Take a deposit.

10] Go to closing, pick up your check.

Good luck.

Zack W

canadian beading supplies - Posted by canadian beading supplies

Posted by canadian beading supplies on January 08, 2006 at 15:24:44:

information on a lawyer career jmrolen sculpture stencil fossils pythagorean theorem practice literary criticism on margaret laurence malibu rehabilitation center antique motorcycle models elvis black belt blueskygallery com ingersoll rand 2161xp greg broussard free dhtml splash screen registry mechanic serial 2pac quotes chiffon table runners nebraska manganese exposure gamecontolers example of website critique top50 vanessa michelle kel lite sheep coloring pages strutt knowles pro mold storage boxes bed breakfast independence missouri alexandra hunt opera 0534277810 denver heating contractor louisville ky newspapers michael a mccann wipe and clean audit free promotional store items beachfront resort destinations myrtle beach armored g500 mercedes used lm aero mission statement winchester m70 trigger pull portable sawmill oregon college and basketball and recruiting 1980 party theme vellum cardstock cary cd 303 300 german news wimen runescape quest guide idaho bad credit mortgage affordable weekend getaways romantic pattypurrfect apexi turbo timer installation kirkpatrickleather com side effects to injecting meth fix sagging door on refrigerator define epigenetic theory rice crispy recipes brinkmann led flashlight hoummous recipe pre fab house hawaii dell precision workstation 420 memory what is a monsoon notes on darkness fall home decorating business opportunity feinstein wmd iraq contact cole sprouse fire false alarm investigation policy maine sex offender laws effanbee doll list blue bird design stencil cesna citation char bey kennel rainforest cafe locations calgary wedding photographer university of calgary athletics dragon ball z music video stanley tsigounis bathroom clip art consumer reports weed trimmers mozzle domain name pro crack cumfestia alligator new orleans joel clement and julia roberts bosch dryer review brasileira women in love cherokee tatoos stlouiscardinals com wagon wheel lyrics troy tooth crown natural fiber infant wear whirlpoolparts ca bert mccracken photos xena sword scabbard jrc flight radios pictures of the t man scary video clips salt licks ephedrine louise klein feng shui michael garman sculptures golf shoe bag monogram justin king larivee video pst 7 23 motorola lisa guerrero pictures volvo 760 turbo engine miss pergola pics cupe local 3890