Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by Eric P. Martin

Posted by Eric P. Martin on June 24, 2001 at 17:09:08:

What should I be looking for with the city/codes department?

Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by Eric P. Martin

Posted by Eric P. Martin on June 23, 2001 at 09:12:10:

I am looking into a 3 flat building that has fire damage. I was wondering who do I call or how do I find someone that specializes in reconstrution of fire damaged property.
Do I simply ask constuction companies if they specialize in them?

Has anyone had any experience with this situation? I’m trying to get an idea of the cost that it will take to fix up.

Eric

Re: Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by AWWMi.

Posted by AWWMi. on June 23, 2001 at 22:54:31:

Eric,
You didn’t mention this so be sure to check with the city inspections/codes departments before you really get going. They can be a real stick in the mud if you sidetrack them starting out. They’ll let you know ‘just what is what’. On the bright side they may be able to give you a good referral for a firehab.
I went so boldly as to try to get the fire department to give me a record of fires in my city. They told me to watch the 11’0 clock news! Didn’t hurt trying the easy way. Oh well. Hope all goes well.
Adrian

Re: Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by Becky IL

Posted by Becky IL on June 23, 2001 at 13:03:45:

There are companies that specialize in fire damage restoration. If you cannot find them in the phone book, call your insurance company’s claims office and ask for some names of the companies that they use in your area.

Re: Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by Paul_MA

Posted by Paul_MA on June 23, 2001 at 10:01:55:

You may also want to use the search archive to see what others have to say about fire damaged buildings. From what I remember reading, it can be a tricky situation if this is your first one.

Re: Who to call for Fire Damaged Building - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on June 23, 2001 at 09:36:48:

Remodelers are your best bet. Get one that has experience with fire damage. The place will need to be very thoroughly cleaned first - including in all the duct work. If air conditioners were running when the fire started, there is a good chance the ACs are now junk.

I have had two major fires in the last five years, and the company I used did an excellent job.