Who Cuts The Tree? Me or My Neighbor??? - Posted by Adam (in Austin)

Posted by Robert TX on June 07, 2003 at 18:35:18:

One more thing. You must take whatever precautions are necessary to make sure that you do not cause injury to the remaining part of the tree. An example would be that you do not trim the tree properly and disease damages the tree.

Who Cuts The Tree? Me or My Neighbor??? - Posted by Adam (in Austin)

Posted by Adam (in Austin) on June 07, 2003 at 11:45:26:

My neighbor’s tree has grown so large that it hangs over the fence and rubs against the side of my house and part of my roof. When it’s windy, it makes noise and has started keeping us up at night.

Who’s responsibility is it to pay for the tree trimmer? Ours, or our neighbors?

I think it’s the neighbor’s responsibility, since the tree is rooted on their property, and they own the tree. My wife thinks it is our responsibility to cut it… since it is hanging over into our property.

Whoever pays, we’re probably looking at about $100 worth of trimming.

Thanks,
Adam.

Their responsibility, but you can cut it - Posted by William Bronchick

Posted by William Bronchick on June 07, 2003 at 21:45:47:

The trunk of the tree determines ownership, so they own it and they are reponsible for cutting it. If they fail to trim it, you are free to do so yourself.

Re: Who Cuts The Tree? Me or My Neighbor??? - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on June 07, 2003 at 20:35:16:

Depends on your State laws. In most States it would be OK for you to trim the branchs that are on your side of the property line. But it would not be responsiblity to do so. In most States you could demand that your neighbor fix the problem.

Re: Who Cuts The Tree? Me or My Neighbor??? - Posted by tyler

Posted by tyler on June 07, 2003 at 12:07:24:

You are responsible and legally ok to trim what is on your side