Where do I start? - Posted by Joshua

Posted by ken on March 19, 2006 at 12:42:21:

I live in Schenectady NY.I am going to Binghamton on purpose because it is a slow market.I will still be doing deals here but i will do a few there the idea being i can sell them anywhere but in a slow market i can buy them much cheaper than in a hot market.

Where do I start? - Posted by Joshua

Posted by Joshua on March 19, 2006 at 11:43:06:

Hello,
I have been interested in real estate investing for a while now, but I don’t know where to start. About 8 months ago I moved from a city that has a great decline in real estate buying (Binghamton, NY) to a city that seems to be booming (Arlington, VA/DC Metro area). My question is, I was thinking of taking a course to become a real estate agent through Weicherts. It is only $200 and I figured, if anything, I could make contacts to get me going and learn along the way. Does anyone view this as a good idea or should I take a different route? I know very very little about real estate. Any comments would help. I would appreciate e-mails at joshua_daniel1011@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Joshua

Re: Where do I start? - Posted by Rich

Posted by Rich on March 21, 2006 at 17:53:50:

You might try getting one of the RE license prep books for your state instead. They cover what you’d need to pass the test but without the classes and so on. I disagree with the posts who say RE agents are not investors. Most of the RE agents I know are investors (mainly because its one of my selection criteria when looking for business partners). There are a LOT of laws regarding property and it is never a bad thing to know what they are. If you decide to keep and rent a property, there are lots of laws on that as well. While it may not teach you HOW to invest, it will teach you about WHAT you are investing in.

Re: Where do I start? - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on March 19, 2006 at 17:36:22:

Getting a Real Estate license can teach you considerbally about Real Estate, but little or nothing about investing. Most Realtors are not investors and follow the path they learn in order to sell other peoples Real Estate. Besides this site and your local Real Estate Investors Association, one of the best things you could do is attend this site’s Real Estate Convention. You will get a load full there and probably much more than you can handle, but it is still very much worth it. Just keep an open mind. I do not work for this site in any way, but I have been to several of their conventions and I know their worth.

Re: Where do I start? - Posted by CS

Posted by CS on March 19, 2006 at 13:24:52:

We invest in Emerging Markets throughout the US that are appreciating 15-30% (Not FL). Don’t think of it as being able to buy cheaper in a slow market. You need to think about buying houses in high appreciating markets and compounding leverage.

Email me and we can talk more.

Clint