Where and when to advertise to sell L/O? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on April 25, 2000 at 09:26:28:

Hi Dan,

I’m located just north of Charlotte.

LeonNC

Where and when to advertise to sell L/O? - Posted by LeonNC

Posted by LeonNC on April 23, 2000 at 19:11:39:

I’ve got a house under a lease option contract which I’m trying to find a t/b for. I ran an ad this weekend in the local paper in which the house is located. I’m not sure if it’s because of the holiday weekend but I only got one call.

There is a large area newspaper nearby and I’m wondering if I should be advertising in it instead. The cost of running an ad in the large area newspaper is high to the tune of about $100.00 a week.

Should I continue to run the ad in the local paper or should I go with the large area newspaper? Should I just run the ad on weekends or should I run it until the house is sold? I’ve included the rent ($1367.00) price in the ad and I’m not sure if this is a deterent to people calling. This is the amount that the house requires so I figure I’m probably losing some calls but cutting out the ones who can’t afford the payment.

Any suggestions?

LeonNC

Re: What part of NC? - Posted by Dan

Posted by Dan on April 24, 2000 at 16:40:06:

Leon,
I’m in NW foothills of NC.
What part of NC are you in?
Dan

Re: Where and when to advertise to sell L/O? - Posted by ken in sc

Posted by ken in sc on April 24, 2000 at 08:23:35:

Sounds like you have a fairly high dollar house with $1367/month as the payment. For this type property, you would probably be better of in the larger paper. Try Sunday only not all week to save money but put the ad in the For Rent and For Sale sections and be sure to say in bold WILL FINANCE or something to that effect. Sunday only works well for me. I use Staurady ads if I want to work on the weekend and have it open on Sunday.
Good luck!

Re: Where and when to advertise to sell L/O? - Posted by B.L.Renfrow

Posted by B.L.Renfrow on April 24, 2000 at 08:06:06:

Leon,

Don’t know about your market, but in my area the free distribution papers (Pennysaver) get a much better response than ads in the larger papers.

And yes, the holiday weekend no doubt is a factor in the low call volume.

As for whether to include the monthly rent in the ad, that can be argued either way. I generally do, precisely because it DOES cut down the number of calls from unqualified tire-kickers…although when I have few potential T/Bers on my list, I may run an ad without the rent in order to get some names of folks who might qualify for a less-expensive property, even if they don’t have enough income for the advertised home.

Here are a few other ideas:

*Advertise in both the for rent and for sale sections.
*Place signs on the property.
*Post flyers in neighborhood grocery stores and community bulletin boards.
*Distribute flyers in nearby apartment complexes.
*Review the wording of your ad to be sure it clearly conveys the vital info.

Brian (NY)

Re: Where and when to advertise to sell L/O? - Posted by mrcapital

Posted by mrcapital on April 23, 2000 at 20:11:56:

Look don’t be a wimp about it. You need to target your market. Spent $200.00 on about 1000 flier, and drop take a weekend to drop them off at (upper scale apartment communities.) Also give them a good incentive for a lease option, this will keep you for all the unpleasant land-lord duties.