When does a land division occur? - Posted by Jake

Posted by Jennifer on March 09, 2005 at 10:48:14:

I have a house that I want to rent. How do I start? Do I need a license to become a landlord?

When does a land division occur? - Posted by Jake

Posted by Jake on March 09, 2005 at 01:13:47:

When does an official land division occur on raw vacant land? Is it when the local township approves of the division or when the newly created resulting parcels are sold and received a new property tax id?

depends… - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on March 10, 2005 at 16:18:27:

in some states there is a time limit for recordation of plans, go past that time limits it as if the subdivision never happened. Once the plan is recorded the lots exist, so for legal purposed the lots are created wen the plan is recorded. However, is some areas the taxation of individual lots doesn’t start until the first lot is sold. And for Federal tax purposes it would not be until the first lot is sold.

Re: When does a land division occur? - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on March 09, 2005 at 21:40:49:

Jake:

I suggestyou go to your local township council and ask them when they consider the lots to be legal.

This is a question that is almost impossible for us on the internet to answer correctly.

In some places it is the moment the township approves it, in others when the plat map is recorded, ino others when the lots are surveyed and laid out, in others when the required utilities and improvements are put in…so you see why I say go ask the local township.

Good Luck,
Bill H

Re: When does a land division occur? - Posted by eric

Posted by eric on March 09, 2005 at 12:50:08:

Depends whether it is a “legal” or “illegal” devision. If you sell off a parcel without first getting approval, the property will likely be “divided” but illegally, i.e. unbuildable. Such a division could also render the retained portion unbuildable as well. Check with your local governmental authority for requirements to legally divide the property.

Ask the local township what the require (nt) - Posted by Bill H

Posted by Bill H on March 09, 2005 at 10:14:04:

nt