What to say when they call? - Posted by Lee Thomas

Posted by Jim FL on November 13, 2001 at 24:58:01:

Lee,
To be perfectly honest, I’d not waste my time with this seller.
I’d be polite, but fast to get off the phone.
The property details do not mean a thing to me, because we’d never get that far.
I’d much rather deal with a motivated seller, and since I KNOW they are out there, my answer to this seller would be…NEXT!

After you do this for a while you will hopefully realize your time is valuable, and there are people out there who NEED your service.

I even start out my phone conversations so that it is clear the seller is calling me for help.
I’ll say to the seller, “how can I help you?”
A small phrase like this sets an immediate tone that the seller is coming to me for service.

Keep in mind when talking to sellers, you DO NOT NEED to buy their house, they NEED you to buy it.
And if they do not, someone else will.

HTH,
Jim FL

What to say when they call? - Posted by Lee Thomas

Posted by Lee Thomas on November 13, 2001 at 24:20:47:

I’ve been investing in real estate for about a year steadily. But I still don’t know what to say to the sellers when they respond to my ads or letters to really reel them in. Please respond to this scenario and what would you say to me to get me to do business with you:

I call you from one of your ads or letter you have sent. You would like to lease option or subject to on my home.
Here’s my deal:
I am looking to sell just because I want to buy a larger home, not desperate but motivated.
My home:
I owe $124,000- asking $130,000- valued at $142,000 FHA, non-assumable, 1999 3br/2ba/2car garage 1400 sqft perfect condition single family home, good neighborhood.
Please give me some ideas on how you would handle this deal to end up with another property under your belt… Thank you in advance for all of your help. Lee(NV)

Re: What to say when they call? - Posted by Doug (ON)

Posted by Doug (ON) on November 13, 2001 at 08:45:19:

Despite my limited experience, I totally agree with Jim on the question: “How may I help you?” I love that question! It’s totally open-ended, gets the seller to tell you what’s important to THEM, and as Jim said, puts them in the position of coming to you for help.

Ray Como said something equally inspiring on his site: “Sellers have to sell me their problem.” In other words, when a seller calls, you want to get them into the position of convincing you why you should help them. This would have the sweet effect of them talking themselves into or out of a deal. Leaving you free to just listen while they gauge their own motivation right there in front of you.

Try to think up some more questions along the lines of “How may I help you?” that will let the seller qualify/disqualify themselves for you.

Doug

Re: What to say when they call? - Posted by Carey_PA

Posted by Carey_PA on November 13, 2001 at 08:44:43:

Lee,

I agree with Jim on this one. This seller that you described is NOT motivated enough.

You would probably pitch them your info on a subject 2 and they’d most likely think you were nuts…because they don’t NEED for you to take their home off of their hands yet…they’ll most likely end of listing thier home with a realtor. Maybe after listing it for a year with an agent and having the home sit theire while they already bought a new home and making 2 mortgage payments…THEN maybe they’ll become a motivated seller…right now though, they are not, so just get them off of the phone.

just some thoughts,

CAREY