What is Bird-Dogging? - Posted by Reece

Posted by Reece on September 04, 2002 at 13:05:40:

Thanks for the reply. Any ideas on how I can hook up with rehabbers? I am a total newbie and I’m not sure where to start. Any insight would be appreciated!

What is Bird-Dogging? - Posted by Reece

Posted by Reece on September 03, 2002 at 14:47:03:

Quick newbie question…what is bird-dogging? I keep seeing that phrase and I don’t have the slightest idea what it means!

Bird-Dogging? AND the answer to the Riddle… - Posted by Peter_MD

Posted by Peter_MD on September 05, 2002 at 09:48:21:

Reece:

I responded to a post yesterday and the new update has left it on the board at the very bottom. The message number is:

http://www.creonline.com/wwwboard/messages/21114.html

This thread should provide you with the answer you are looking for concerning Bird Dogs…It is titled “Bird Dog Fees”.

I’m also posting, as promised, the answer to the riddle in case someone is interested. I did not give the correct answer when I was asked…just a softy and wanted to see the old lady taken care of.

The answer is: Give your friend your car keys along with your phone number on a piece of paper. Tell him to take the old lady to the nearest hospital, police station, or fire department so she can get the medical attention she needs and to call you so you can arrange to talk and get your car back…

…Then you and the person of your dreams catch the bus and live happily ever after.

Re: What is Bird-Dogging? - Posted by Glenn

Posted by Glenn on September 03, 2002 at 15:29:02:

It is when you drive around looking for properties or even looking in papers or flyers for properties.

Re: Bird-Dogging? AND the answer to the Riddle… - Posted by Reece

Posted by Reece on September 05, 2002 at 22:06:32:

Peter,

I read your response on bird-dog fees at the very bottom of the board. It was very informative and insightful. I am interested in starting out as a bird-dog to get my feet wet before I do my first deal. I wish that I was in MD so that I could learn from an experienced investor like you!

AND…? - Posted by DB

Posted by DB on September 03, 2002 at 16:31:36:

Its not just driving around looking at properties.

You are finding properties for “Investors” who give you a search “criteria” of what they are looking for!

Some investors are rehabbers, they want houses that look like they are distressed. A “bird-dog” will have to know what the investor wants him/her to look for.

As a bird-dog you will usually make $200-$500. Once you have brought the investor a few deals, they may pay more. If you start getting the properties under “contract”, then you can “assign” your position in the contract to the investor. When you assign your position to the investor, you can get anywhere from $2,000-$10,000 maybe more?

It is a quick way to make some money.

Good luck,

dave

Re: Bird-Dogging? AND the answer to the Riddle… - Posted by Peter_MD

Posted by Peter_MD on September 06, 2002 at 06:45:46:

Reece:

Sorry…it wouldn’t matter if you did live in MD. I can only have 3 Bird Dogs at a time and they are lined up. At first, when I started mentoring/training my Bird Dogs, it would take between 9 to 12 months to get them up to speed and on their own…so to speak. Now I burn them and turn them in 6 months or less. I give them reading and studying assignments (mainly Ron LeGrand, Louis Brown, John Ulmer, and Claude Diamond courses)…just like a true apprentice would get in the “old days in Europe”.

So, if I have them waiting in line, what do they do while the wait for a slot to step in? They clean the properties we’ve acquired, paint, fix up…just a bunch of manual labor. I figure they have to learn sometime what it takes to do things, what they have to do to get things done, and how long it takes to get it done properly…and I have them do it over again from scratch if it’s not right and up to my picky standards. They still get paid while they are learning and I’ve yet to hear a complaint. These are good kids and I must admit I’ve done a good job of picking them well…just like my tenants.

You didn’t say where you are from, however, I do wish you the best in finding a good mentor. They’re out there but I guess they will be few and far between.

Best of luck to you…

Re: AND…? - Posted by Reece

Posted by Reece on September 04, 2002 at 13:03:11:

Dave,

Thanks for your elaboration! This is exactly how I want to start out in the business. When you assign your position in a contract, is this a type of “flipping/wholesaling”? I’m getting confused by all of the terms used. Also, are there any good manuals/courses out there that discribe the “assignment” method in more detail? Thank you SO much, your description is exactly what I’ve been looking for!

Bird dog fees - Posted by DJR in Omaha

Posted by DJR in Omaha on September 03, 2002 at 16:57:43:

While the education alone is worth becoming a bird dog, why not negotiate your fee a little higher? Many rehabbers have no problem paying $1000 for information on a property they end up buying, especially considering their profit may be in the range of $20,000 and up. Finding the deals is the first step in the process and an important one at that!

Re: Bird dog fees - Posted by anthony king

Posted by anthony king on September 05, 2002 at 06:14:59:

Are there any investors that are looking for a bird dog in the southeast,specifically Georgia ? Please email me at the above address.