What did you guys and gals do ..... - Posted by WaynePa

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 25, 2001 at 22:07:46:

No, it was a Robert Allen real estate investing bootcamp.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by WaynePa

Posted by WaynePa on July 24, 2001 at 09:28:15:

when you started taking those first steps and Mr. Fear started to creep in the door? Did you just leave a post like me? “Courage is not the absence of fear. It is not the ignorance of fear. Courage is the mastery of fear.” - Samuel Clemens I know alot of them, but what did you do?!? Maybe I just needed to vent. I’m starting to feel better already. Thanks guys and gals. Ya know, there are 2 ways to gain wisdom: 1) mistakes 2) mentors . The mentorship is definitely here. Happy investing.
Wayne

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by Harley-CA

Posted by Harley-CA on July 26, 2001 at 01:05:45:

Wayne,

You’ve brought up a good question. Here’s what I did years ago when I did my first deal over the internet. To deal with the fear, I asked myself:

How frightening is being confined to a job for the rest of my life?

How frightening is having my children ask why I didn’t do more with my time?

How frightening is having lived my entire life never having seen the planet I spent that life on?

How frightening is being 65 years old and having to sweep floors at McDonalds to make an extra $60 a week?

How frightening is never knowing what leather car seats smell like when the opportunity was within my reach?

How frightening is it knowing that thousands of other people with less smarts than me have bigger balls than me?

Then, after asking these questions, I asked myself this one:

Is taking the risk to have a better life more frightening than all of the above or less frightening?

The answer is: LESS… and MUCH LESS.

Then I just began to study and take steps. I’ll give you my strategy for staying strong. Each night, before I go to sleep, I imagine myself as a giant made of the most advanced alloy. Nothing can harm me. I imagine all the possible scenarios that can occur in life: sickness, poverty, legal battles, failures, negative people, lonliness, tragedy, etc. and I imagine myself pushing them all down at my side, down into oblivion. I imagine myself indestructible. In my visualization I see myself as impenetrable, nothing can stop me, nothing can change my course. Then, I doze off to sleep.

I embrace fear, I feed on it. I let it grip my focus so that it is lazer sharp, then I defeat it by taking action in a clearly defined and determined direction.

Remember, death is the worse that can happen, anything else is just pain.

Harley-CA

Fear is YOUR Friend… - Posted by JT - IN (St. Barths, FWI)

Posted by JT - IN (St. Barths, FWI) on July 24, 2001 at 14:00:21:

Wayne:

Can you imagine the stupid things that we would do without FEAR !! Fear should cause us to seek the maximum education, and prudent motion in a forward manner.

I have been doing this RE thing quite a while, and wouldn’t want to lose this friend called FEAR. Who knows what might try then. FEAR keeps us on our toes, and once you learn that it will not go away, and learn how to use it to your advantage, keeping it under control, you are well on your way.

Don’t try to shake it, just use it, and move forward slowly until yo9u cna move forward at a higher rate of speed.

Just the way that I view things…

JT - IN (from St. Barth, FWI)

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by Tony (CA)

Posted by Tony (CA) on July 24, 2001 at 11:37:13:

Wayne,

Mr. Fear, otherwise known as my evil gremlin, continually strikes whenever I leave my comfort zone. Being aware of this, consciously saying, “There he goes again with that gloom and doom,” helps combat Mr. Fear. Don’t try to make this inner voice go away. It just won’t happen. Trying to banish it will only frustrate you and encourage your gremlin. Just be aware that it’s there and there’s the other more level-headed voice who has contemplated the risk and is choosing to go ahead. Stay in the moment, right now, rather than daydreaming about what possibly could go wrong. For example, “I put money into the stock market. Now my stocks are down. This CRE stuff looks as good as the stock market did last year. If I go ahead and buy the house I’m thinking about, I’ll be even worse off if the housing market goes down. Instead, I’ll be better off if I don’t do anything creative. I should go out and get that safe, though low-paying, job and forget about this crazy stuff. If it worked, then why isn’t anyone I know doing CRE? CRE won’t work in my city. The market isn’t like Texas, or Ohio, or Florida…” But you can’t allow the gremlin to take command of your mind.

You notice the voice, but you think, “There’s Mr. Gloom and Doom again. The stock market fluctuates and is outside my control. Looking at trends in the past, I think it’s a safe bet that the market will rise again over time. If I leave my money alone until it rises and then sell, I’ll not lose anything. CRE is my business. I have more control and effect on the fluctuations, although not full control. Getting outside my comfort zone is okay as long as I take informed risks. I have not been happy limiting myself to a job, no matter how good the job is, because ultimately I’ve lost control of my destiny. I am not just an average Joe, another cow in a herd of cattle being led to another pasture to graze. I am an eagle who knows no bounds. The only thing that’s stopping me from flying high is myself. Only if I allow Mr. Fear control me. Only if I let my own imagination extinguish the fire that burns inside of me. But if I nurture the embers that continue to burn (however small Mr. Fear has made them recently) and add kindling to the embers and continue stoking them. If I learn from my mistakes, and realize that mistakes are not defeat and only a learning experience, then I can not be denied success.”

Courage, you say, is the mastery of fear. I like to think that courage is the part of me that notices the fear that my gremlin brings up, but doesn’t allow it to stop me.

To your success!

Tony

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX

Posted by Jim Kennedy - Houston, TX on July 24, 2001 at 11:24:36:

Wayne,

Here is a slightly modified reprint of a post I submitted in March of last year.

About ten years ago I went through a week-long training program that included a fair number of personal development exercises. One of the assignments was designed to help us overcome our fears. We were instructed to identify one of our major fears and develop a plan to overcome that fear. Since early childhood, I’d been deathly afraid of spiders. Intellectually I knew that most spiders are completely innocuous and pose virtually no threat to humans. Emotionally that meant absolutely nothing. Fear took over and I?d shy away from the most harmless arachnid. My plan to overcome this irrational fear was to go to a local pet shop and ask them if I could hold the largest, hairiest, and ugliest tarantula they had available. Well, they had a beaut ? about the size of my fist. After a few minutes of Harry (yes, they actually had named it) crawling from my open palm up my forearm, I started feeling the fear literally dissipate from my body. What a remarkable sensation!

Now don?t get me wrong, I wouldn?t have tried that same stunt with a Black Widow or any other equally venomous eight-legged creature.

After completing the tarantula exercise, real estate investing is definitely a cakewalk.

Best of Success!!

Jim Kennedy,
Houston, TX

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by BR2

Posted by BR2 on July 24, 2001 at 10:35:19:

Made certain my shoelaces were tied really tight and jumped in!

Good Luck.

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by PBoone

Posted by PBoone on July 24, 2001 at 10:19:36:

Took a step toward progress anyway. Fear still creeps in each time I do something unknown. It didn’t go away in my case, I just keep stepping forward to the goal.
Pat

Very inspirational… Thanks! nt - Posted by Valerie PA

Posted by Valerie PA on July 24, 2001 at 14:01:56:

Re: What did you guys and gals do … - Posted by SandyFL@bellsouth.net

Posted by SandyFL@bellsouth.net on July 25, 2001 at 21:23:59:

That wasn’t by chance a Rising Star program, was it?