What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by ShawnNC on September 24, 2010 at 11:20:44:

Thanks again Tony! I feel that your approach here would be a very wise one. I am stuck in the “quit my day job” mentality right now and just need to wake up and be thankful I have a good job that pays the bills and the ability to do my investing on the side. Many are in a much less fortunate position than I am in.

There is probably a gold mine of land/home REO properties that would make good cash flowing rentals in my area. I just need to take advantage of them. You will probably be getting a lot emails from me once I dive in to the landlord game so be prepared :slight_smile:

My other area of focus is to try to reduce my monthly outgo as much as possible. We are trying to downsize our mortgage and reduce/elimnate as much debt as we can. The less outgo we have the less I would need in to replace with rentals in the future.

Any other newbie land/home landlords out there let me know your current perspectives as well!

ShawnNC

What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 23, 2010 at 06:25:28:

I am wondering what folks are focusing on now. There are so many different changes happening in the economy, with regulations and with opportunities.

What are you focusing on now?

Are you improving properties? Are you buying more? Are you selling off? If so what is your re-entry plan? Are you changing your business model?

Are you spending all your time focusing on the SAFE act? Are you re-evaluating your business in light of the SAFE act?

Does your business do enough business to make changes worth the while or will it be best to seek a different model?

Are you actively involved in making changes to your business, conducting business as usual or are you throwing your hands up in the air?

I have met folks from just about all of these paths and am wondering where each of you are. Sometimes we need to see what others are doing to determine if you too need to consider alternatives. Discussing these different choices may shed some light on opportunities that others have not yet considered.

Stretching our minds to consider ideas we otherwise would have rejected is where we find greater opportunity. If others reject the same ideas without in depth consideration then opportunity may be waiting for those who do take time to investigate and re-consider.

We need not make changes for the sake of change but we do need to seek out new ideas to consider so that our businesses can grow and/or improve.

What are you doing or considering now?

Tony

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Alex Flora

Posted by Alex Flora on September 28, 2010 at 20:58:40:

Selling out. We’ve decided (just a week ago) to go ahead and sell our 14-unit park. We feel like now is a good time to sell and have priced it at a 14.5% CAP. There are so many people out there who have been laid off/forced out/bought out/etc. of their jobs who now need–and who have truly always wanted–to “reinvent” themselves, and our business is the ultimate “be your own boss” scenario. My email inbox has been flooded with “investors”–quacks is more like it–but I’ve got to find the local folks with some money sitting in a 401k who need a good business (if they don’t use it to create a nice living for themselves, then they’ll end up just living off of it and have nothing in the end to show for the money.) So we’re going to downsize and buy a small piece of land in the mountains with an old farmhouse and maybe buy a tri- or quadraplex for the income (this business is now in my blood, much to my wife’s dismay.) :slight_smile:

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Brenda (OH)

Posted by Brenda (OH) on September 24, 2010 at 11:58:03:

I am trying to get enough info to determine costs if I would start a small lending business… I would have partners, and orginate loans that they fund… Possible partners are park owners, and maybe lonnie dealers…

The problem is, whether I just am writing loans for my own deals, or expand, the compliance issues for lending (SAFE ACT and more) are hard… Going the business route should be just an extra layer on top of what I need to do for myself…

Now, trying to get the information from the state of Ohio for the lending business is almost impossible.

I called the correct place, but was told to download the state lending acts, the state mortgage broker act, and figure out what I had to do… and I would need a lawyer… there is not procedure that they will tell you to do, but they are the department that takes you to court if you don’t do it right…(I wish I was exaggerating… this was what I was told 3 weeks back))

I am in the process of trying to see what/who would be the right type of lawyer to work with…

so I am cleaning my home office, so if I do go the route of a business, I can get it inspected and certified… man, my housekeeping skills are going to have to take a quantum leap in quality, no more dirty dishes in the sink, the counter, the stove…

or, I may see if having done the studying for the SAFE act tests, can I get a day job at a bank orginating loans. The license is not required, but the training I took might get me a leg up in getting hired…

Or, I love hanging out at home depot… An evening shift job there would be a possibility…

Time to get some cash flow into the ole homestead…

I feel kinda stuck this week, not sure which way to push…

Brenda Bish

Air my dirty underwear in public? YOU BET!! (long) - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on September 24, 2010 at 10:44:07:

My note portfolio is slipping away. I have experienced the apathy that Tony described months back, and I just find it tough to stay excited about LDs, when the poor just keep getting poorer.

I went through a spate of give-ups a couple of years ago, where the no-rent relataionship I had with a few parks changed due to ownership or mgmt change, and with a loss of dependability of my workers, I couldnt get them repaired and sold without paying lot rent, so I signed over like, 10? over a 2 year period. Now keep in perspective: this was not a huge gash, more like a lot of little paper cuts over that time.

We did start into the land/home acquisition several years ago, and have semi-developed some properties into viable rentals, such that we have a stable of 12 MHs, each on their own lot (well, one lot has two homes, making it a “park”). And since becoming “blue-collar” (anyone remember me saying my only tool was a pen?), those 12 are about all I can keep up with. For the last two weeks, everything has been caught up and only a minor repair here or there, so the breather is nice.

Notes are paying off, and there is the occasional in-park repo; with the rental workload lightening (for now), I can focus a little time and effort and money on them to get them re-sold, and “resetting” the notes.

WORD OF CAUTION: I was so proud a few years ago of obtaining a fairly healthy line of credit for my LD business, but I did not use it properly. The money DID go toward growing the business, but I did not put it back as I should have, and am paying interest now like crazy. Lines of credit are to be used for short term investments, and are to be paid off ASAP, such that the line is again open for the next project

Also, we refi’d two of our L/H rentals to the tune of $200K cashout, which was used to buy 2 more single wides on property as rentals, and to downpay for a mortgage on a 3/2 stick-built in Hawaii. The island market was down when we bought, but it kept going down, along with the rental market. Along with vacancy, and remote property management problems, it jsut fell apart. We are currently in the mill to surrender the deed in lieu of foreclosure. That 100K is gone, but the teeny tiny silver lining is that the 2 L/Hs we bought with the other 100K and are renting are covering the refi mortgages.

My current mental struggle is to make the math work once the notes deplete to a level that requires income replacement. Due to the Hawaii debacle, our credit looks like a MHP applicant (hopefully once the deed-in-lieu is done, it will recover; as it is now, we have a $400K + account in collections), SOOOOO acquiring more L/Hs as rentals ain’t gonna happen right now, even though they are ripe for the picking.

ramblerambleramble . . . . . . . point of order: what I am focusing on now, is taking care of what I have - rental repairs and improvements are being made in the sturdiest fashion, and working to keep the good stable of renters that we have. Tweaking what we can to increase income, working to keep paying toward/off what we can.

What I REALLY need to do is start putting money aside to rejuvenate the LD business, adding new notes. I have learned SOOO much from doing this for the last 8 years that I should be able to do it better on a new go-round.

BTW, selling some rentals to pay down/off others is not an option now, as nothing (MHs) will sell. These days, cashflow is the gold ring. MH properties in my area are NOT - repeat, NOT - an equity asset, but the rental market is strong, as I get an average of $800 for a 2 bed, 1K for a 3.

Nose just above the waves,

Steve-WA

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by ShawnNC

Posted by ShawnNC on September 24, 2010 at 09:18:13:

Thanks for the question Tony - it is something that has been constantly on my mind this whole year. I am a newbie and finding a good strategy to focus on has been tough for me. I am sure a part of that is just inexperience, but that coupled with the economy and real estate market has really made it tough to get going.

I am trying to do lease options on land/homes but it has been a struggle to find people that can qualify for loans in a reasonable time. Owner financing seems attractive but then there is the whole SAFE act (which also applies to lease options.)

Flipping land/homes is pretty tough anytime but especially now with such limited options for FHA lenders these days and people struggling to get approved. So I’ve even thought about trying to wholesale land/homes to landlords. Landlords are buying REO’s left and right around here so that may be a niche I try to pursue to pick up some quick cash and build some reserves.

Renting is another option but most I talk to tell me to make sure I have plenty of reserves before I start buying and holding property. I am in a pretty cash poor position right now so my top priority is building some cash and that just isn’t an easy thing to do in this environment it seems.

ShawnNC

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by TT

Posted by TT on September 24, 2010 at 06:26:41:

Basically concentrating on repairing what i’ve got, (I have replaced 3 leaking water heaters lately)
& bought a trashed 1980 sw & lot in a good area(Tony should remember Joshua Ridge) which is now rehabbed and just passed Sec 8 inspection (first Sec 8 I have ever done).

I think Tony advised seeking tenants with a steady and predictable income such as disability, etc. vs. those whose jobs/income could disappear in a flash. Well I have made some rent concessions to keep a couple of doublewides rented in which the tenants were struggling in this economy. Rents have softened maybe 5-8%, from what I could get a couple years ago.
I am now just renting vs. lease optioning as there is not the demand for lease options as there was 5 years ago.

My focus has always been on land/homes, mainly foreclosures. My thought is that there will be plenty of opportunities in the next 3-5 years to add to the portfolio, and no need to get into a hurry to buy now, unless the deal is a “no brainer”.

Tony, do you see better opportunities where you are now vs. in Buncombe County? And what are you focusing on now?

Tracy

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Darrel F. Smith

Posted by Darrel F. Smith on September 23, 2010 at 19:12:05:

I feel I am such a little guy with so little experience that anything said would be worthless. What the hay–I will tell you what keeps me busy.
I started two and a half years ago and have now owned 24 trailers. I sold two for cash, four on contract and am renting the rest.The rentals are giving me the greatest return on investment and are not much more trouble than those on contract.I have now had two of the contracts just pack up and leave. One was a sweep out and rent and the other was a disaster (I posted about the roaches)
I am guilty of putting too much time and money into too many of them. However, I am getting recommendations from my renters. They feel I care and will fix things when they break.
I keep saying I am going to stop buying but just about time I finish one another one pops up. I bought one yesterday and there are two more that I should buy—now!
“Jim” just showed up one day and went to work. He really wants to be in the business but has no money. He is hard working, knowledgeable, willing to learn and honest. I want to work with him for his sake and for mine. He wants me to retire and let him run the business. So far he has done everything he said he would do. I am going to try to partner up with him on yesterdays trailer. I will go slow----see how it goes. So far he has treated my trailers as if he owned them.
Any advice?
You folks are the reason I am here. I plan to just keep on keeping on until it does not work any more.
For what it’s worth,
DinSD
Darrel

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by JeffB (MI)

Posted by JeffB (MI) on September 23, 2010 at 12:57:54:

Try as I may to reduce my volume of Lonnie deals, I keep buying more. Everytime I say “I really need to do something else” I get two or three really nice, nearly free homes. Just last week I bought a 4bd doublewide in decent shape for $2,000. How can you screw that up?

Having said all that, I am devoting all my brain resources to finding other business opportunities, some of which include, buying rentals with my excess LD cash flow every few months, wholesale MH flips, and have even been thinking about starting a pre-owned RV dealership with a strong mobile service crew to do warranty work for the RV manufacturers. This is something I have identified as a major need in the marketplace, but nobody is doing it. The startup would be extremely capital-intensive, though.

Other than that, just trying to stay positive as the government continues to meddle in everything (not just our biz) all in the name of “consumer protection”.

Hands Thrown Up - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on September 23, 2010 at 12:20:02:

Yes, its true, I’ve thrown up my hands. I’m reaching fervently toward the Source above.

For the past several months I have concentrated (5-10 hrs/wk)on rehabbing and reselling several homes that I repo’ed. Also picked up two other homes in the process. Passively looking for deals. Is that an oxymoron?

I am focusing on collecting my payments and not spending them. Truth is, I am paying down debt as fast as I can while keeping the excessive lifestyle I prefer. More moron without the oxy, eh?

Quite frankly, the SAFE ACT crap is a PIA that I’ve ignored since I took (and passed) the course. I may choose to pay someone else to do this for me. If I can’t get excited, or even scared by it, I have to wonder what future I have in this business. I used to love it. Can’t say that any more.

I am waiting for a fabulous new opportunity to drop in my lap. I recommend you don’t hold your breath in the meantime. I would like to do something on a more global/international scale. Anyone want to pay me to travel the world? Also thinking of being part of the solution in the fields of energy, poverty, or fresh water supply.

Steve

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 23, 2010 at 10:44:09:

As for me, I have been operating my MHP operation in the same manner for the past 3 years. YTD I have sold 9 MHs in the park $142,500 total sales: I have financed 64% of that amount. I have averaged 32 days duration from the time at which the home is readied for occupancy to sale; it has taken on average 27 days to ready them.

I also have leased 4 units; the length of vacancy in those has been 3 days from the time they are readied. So, as you can see, rentals are in much greater demand than sales here.

I?ll stay the course and keep working toward all owner-occupied because I recognize many benefits of this method, but I sure do wonder sometimes if I am ever going to get there.

My goal of being debt-free is in sight, and in order to achieve that goal, I am throwing every dollar that I can at that debt, so cash has been extremely tight, and has probably kept me from trying other business opportunities.

Within my circle of friends in various businesses, the only exciting cash generating activity has been MH and Mod sales in Williston ND. As they are experiencing an oil boom at this time and the local housing stock is insufficient to accommodate the demand. But of course many expensive challenges face each deal.

I have considered used cars, bulk food, and Chinese import merchandise, but none of it looks profitable enough to make a net gain after factoring in the inevitable drop in MHP performance that will come when I divide my attention.

This is a great topic; I look forward to reading what the others have to report.

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 29, 2010 at 07:34:08:

Alex,

This decision is very near the same one I took about a year and a half ago. I sold a 10 unit park I owned. I did not catch the top nor the low of the market so I still did ok. It gave me the money I needed to buy what I call my small “homestead.” The home fits my family and I have the land I wanted to do the things I wanted to provide a more simple approach to living and teaching our kids about life.

In selling I also got rid of a property that was likely to become a problem property for me in the future and was my highest maintenance property.

Like you are planning, I downsized and created a mini-farm but kept my remaining properties. I attend to them 2 days per week (I moved an hour away) and have a handyman who handles emergency calls and assists me in rehabbing the properties as needed. So far it works but money is tighter than one expects. It always costs a bit more than we plan although I was quite close on my numbers. My expenses increase because I married into a family and we added a daughter a year ago today!

The properties provide some income but by selling we reduce not just our net income but the gross income which I used to pay little attention to. The gross income was more important than we thought because that was the money that always floated the unexpected repair costs, replaced appliances, pumped septics and covered extra vacancies. I have been blessed with low vacancies and worked to keep a system in place that favors that and for this I am very thankful.

I know I made the right choice and believe you will find the same.

For me the remaining properties will be “hold” properties for present and future income and many years down the road they will be sold for our “retirement.” Some may be culled to eliminate poor performing or less desired properties but I don’t see me buying more. But I have learned that in this game you can never say “never.”

Tony

Papercuts - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on September 24, 2010 at 13:08:58:

Steve, I think the past few years have made me more aware of my “Risk meter” than ever before.

Considering the risk of those paper cuts; they would seemingly be small and insignificant except that they come at worst possible time.

I am grateful for your willingness to share you experience.

I am proud of you Steve - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 24, 2010 at 10:57:18:

Steve,

I know that it took a lot of guts to discuss the harships you have/are facing. I applaud you for your willingness to allow others to learn from you. It is easy to teach when all is going just as planned but very humbling when things are not. It takes a strong man to stand up and do what you just did.

People need to know the realities and the disappearance of the “guru’s” of last year because they are not able to fill boot camps angers me. If they took large cash to teach then I believe the owe it to admit the failures in their systems and show what they are doing to remedy them. Ego can be checked at the homepage.

Only through these type of discussions are we going to find solutions, prevent others from making the same mistakes and weather this storm to be successful in the future.

We need not be proud of our mistakes but in them we find the solutions we need, the character to learn from them and the ability to succeed in spite of them.

My hat is off to you Steve.

Tony

A slow, methodic approach to wealth - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 24, 2010 at 11:05:59:

Shawn,

As I recall you had a decent job (although I do not recall exactly what that job is, sorry).

If you were to acquire a cheap, foreclosure land/home property now to fix up and rent you would not need a huge amount of reserve but certainly some would be important. A credit card might be all you would have or need at first. Providing you have a bit extra money from the day job you are not in harms way.

Keeping the day job and paying all profit from the rental towards the mortgage would quickly pay off a reasonable land/home property. Once paid off that property would provide its own reserve cash.

I have written about this to you in the past but repeat it now for others benefit (I hope).

Getting rich slowly is something we can all do. “Slow may be a relative term.” I think a working person could create a well funded retirement using this approach and retire in 10 to 20 years (versus several decades of work at their JOB).

This is a no frills approach and the simplicity makes it a lot less stressful. A slow, methodical approach can keep you safe and create a safe financial future.

Tony

Re: What are you focusing on now? - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on September 24, 2010 at 08:21:55:

Hey Tracy,

To answer your question, I am not investing in Morganton at this time and I do not expect to but you never know. For now I have the portfolio size that fits my needs and time. To relocate all that from Asheville to Morganton is not realistic nor recommended. I believe Asheville will certainly hold its value best and it allows me to focus my efforts there.

One thing I have learned in this game is you can never say “never” however.

Tony