vinyl skirting - Posted by jim

Posted by Joe-ga on February 12, 2009 at 20:09:55:

thats about what skirting cost… $700 to do a singlewide or small doublewide… I have used tin,take the tin you can buy at homedepot and take a saw blade, turn it backwardsa and put the tin and screw it to the base of the trailer and take a piece of J channel off a vinyl siding supply and put ground stakes in it and use it for a bottom rail, then put a 1x4 pressure treated over the top to cover the tin and paint it.

vinyl skirting - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on February 05, 2009 at 08:43:38:

Does anyone know how difficult it is to replace the vinyl skirting on a mobile home. I’m looking at my first deal and the park owner who is selling the home said he has a person that could replace the skirt for $700.

I’m thinking of doing it myself in order to save on the cost. My question is how difficult is it for someone that is not that handy? Thanks

Re: vinyl skirting - Posted by Michael Reed (NE GA)

Posted by Michael Reed (NE GA) on February 07, 2009 at 20:41:17:

Hi Jim,

I just finished putting vinyl skirting on a property last week. It actually wasn’t skirting as I don’t know of a mobile home parts supply around me. I used vinyl soffet and turned it vertical. It is fairly easy and shouldn’t take very long at all. You’ll just need a few basic tools and a skill saw with a panel/laminate blade put on backwards to cut the vinyl without tearing it up. And if the skirting is more than a couple feet high, I would definitely add some support like Shawn said. The rental property I did it on was on a sloped lot and the skirting was nearly four feet at the lower side of the home. I added a 2x2 band every twenty inches of height or so for extra support. I’m sure some of these guys have much better advice than me but if I can figure out, anyone can. And I definitely wouldn’t pay someone $700 for it. It would take you a day at most. Good Luck

Re: vinyl skirting - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on February 05, 2009 at 12:48:19:

Jim, the work involved in installation of vinyl skirting isn’t too tough. The test of how good your workmanship is will come with the first high winds.
I put bottom track on lanscape timbers and spike them down (minimizes weedeater damage). I also build framing out of 1"x2" behind all panels over 30" tall, and screw panels to framing. I also crimp top and bottom of each panel. A little extra effort at time of installation will save a lot of repair work later.