Vinyl Siding over Brick - Posted by Bob

Posted by JasonM on July 09, 2004 at 08:59:42:

I have done vinyl over brick before and it was not too bad. You have to use different nails. They should be able to help you with that at any hardware store. Worse case scenario you might have to run some strips of wood up the sides of the building to nail the siding too. But I doubt you have to do that. As far as price I don’t have a clue how much it would cost. I did some myself for a friend and I just gave him a “you buy the material and I’ll help you per hour” price

Vinyl Siding over Brick - Posted by Bob

Posted by Bob on July 09, 2004 at 07:12:13:

I’m wondering if anybody can give me some rough numbers. I have a brick 3-unit and was built circa 1900. 3 stories and approximately 3500 sf. The problem is that the brick has been painted many times and is currently in need of “something”, i.e., the paint is peeling. I really don’t think it would be wise to repaint the brick because it’s something that will have to be done every 5-10 years. Also, I’ve noticed that some of the mortar joints are failing. So, I’m thinking of covering the building in vinyl siding. I figure this will be the best option for the long term (I will be holding this property). Has anyone ever had experience with putting vinyl siding over brick? Is it much more labor intensive? Do you have any rough estimates for price per square foot, installed?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Bob

Re: Vinyl Siding over Brick - Posted by Jim (MD)

Posted by Jim (MD) on July 09, 2004 at 18:35:29:

In Baltimore, where there are thousands of brick row houses, many people have covered perfectly good brick with aluminum (and now vinyl) siding. It will last for years, however I caution that it be done properly. If the motar in some places needs repair, I would suggest having the bricks repointed before you paint or cover it with vinyl, whichever you decide.

Re: Vinyl Siding over Brick - Posted by john

Posted by john on July 09, 2004 at 14:49:57:

You can install Vinyl siding over brick but will probably have to install furring strips on the brick to support the siding. Cost should be around $300/ square maybe more depending on material, location, and heighth.

As an alternative, check out liquid siding, a paint like stuff that has a 25yr guarantee, it is alittle expensive. (Compared to paint) It is supposed to have a R-value as well. My neighbor had it put on and 3 yrs later it looks like it was just done. Another choice might be stucco

Just something to think on

Re: Vinyl Siding over Brick - Posted by Randy (SD)

Posted by Randy (SD) on July 09, 2004 at 10:40:07:

Did a “Google” on the topic and found this free “job estimate” site:
http://www.contractors.com/cost_estimator/install_new_vinyl_or_aluminum_siding.html

Personally I would not recommend vinyl if you are considering long term holding, you can see every seam, over the years if you ever have to replace damaged areas you may have a problem ?matching? the color? I did - as well as areas cleaned (like to remove excessive dirt) could be seen from the street. It was a cheap alternative for an early 1900?s home I sold 1-2 years later. For a long term I would have the building pressure washed, tuck pointed and painted or go seamless steel siding.

HTH