Vandalism - Posted by jeremy FL

Posted by SusanL.–FL on March 07, 2001 at 11:39:06:

…about transferring ‘monitoring’ systems to another project!

That might come in handy for some of us.

Vandalism - Posted by jeremy FL

Posted by jeremy FL on March 07, 2001 at 08:35:32:

I have a question for those of you who work in low-income areas. Is vandalism a problem? Is there a way to detur it?

I have rehabbed many homes and have had little problem with this in middle-income areas. I have rehabed 3 homes in marginal areas and every time something was taken or missing. Nothing serious but I think it is a matter of time. The money came out the same even though the spread was bigger, but the headaches were way bigger. I know there is money to made in the lower income properties but the headaches have to follow.

The reason I ask is I know I could have an endless stream of properties in these areas. Right now it usually takes me 2-3weeks to track down the type of properties I prefer doing. As always thanks in advance for any and all responses.

Re: Vandalism - Posted by Bob-Tx

Posted by Bob-Tx on March 07, 2001 at 09:04:49:

Yes, vandalism can be an issue for sure. Most of what we do is rehabs in lower income areas and it is rather uncommon NOT to have vandalism on a property…generally small things like exterior doors, ceiling fans, window A/C units, etc. Sometimes it’s larger things like outside condenser units, water heaters and the like.

It is important that there be activity at the house, people coming and going at odd times of the day…I make it to every house at least once a day whether we are actively working on it or it’s sitting there with a for sale sign in front…oh by the way, signs are another thing that gets stolen or knocked over, bent up, etc. We have negotiated a deal with local alarm co. - they will install the system free with a one year transferable monitoring contract. When the house sells the contract can be assumed by the new owner or, if they don’t want the monitoring, can be transferred over to another rehab project at no additional cost. Haven’t used this yet but will be doing so in the near future.

There is gold in those lower income markets and we choose to take the hassles along with the gold.

Hope this helps