Tub Surrounds - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 17, 2011 at 08:34:12:

Clinton,

Any chance you might have a photo of the FRP installed that you could email me?

Thanks,

Tony

mobileswithland@yahoo.com

Tub Surrounds - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 15, 2011 at 08:51:18:

I found this great string of posts in the archive that is worth re-reading for future landlord friendly repairs.

http://www.creonline.com/mobilehomes/wwwboard4/messages/77144.html

I must say that over the past few years I had a handyman who would tile tub surrounds here and there in our homes and this by far looks the best. We just used the cheap, floor tiles from lowes.

I like Rolf?s reminder in that string (above) to secure the green board (drywall) ABOVE the tub flange to prevent water from wicking up and behind the tub surround.

Many of my tubs are now made of fiberglass and don?t last forever so I want to be able to access the screws that secure the tub to the wall/studs. I would want to start the tiles above the flange and then cover the screws with some kind of cove or as Don suggests a tub flange type molding (I believe he had to buy his at the mobile home supply store).

Just food for thought.

Tony

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 16, 2011 at 19:42:52:

I typically use the cheap three-piece surrounds with the molded shelves in the corners. I have a landlord/flipper friend that has shown me photos of tiled surrounds - they use the cheap BIG ceramic tile at Lowe’s - the 18" tiles, and the same is used on the floor . . . man it is muy caliente! Beeee-yoo-tiful!!

Next tub remodel gets this.

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on July 15, 2011 at 09:40:33:

Not trying to take off on a rabbit trail - but I saw an add from Stylecrest (skirting manufacturer) that had a fiberglass(not ABS) tub with a 2 piece surround- split vertically. I’ll report in when I try it.

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by Dr. B. (OH)

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on July 17, 2011 at 20:21:18:

Be sure and use the concrete backer board as I have seen the 4" and 18" tiles smashed right through the drywall between the studs.

Don’t you usually swing a baseball bat when you’re taking a shower?

Steve

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on July 17, 2011 at 05:54:28:

We had a couple of homes we used the bigger tiles to create counter tops in the kitchen and then tiled one row for a back splash that looked great. This is one of my next adventures is to work with this idea more to create a landlord friendly system to repair and replace kitchen cabinets and counter tops.

Tony

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by Clinton

Posted by Clinton on July 17, 2011 at 08:21:05:

I had tried just about everything for a cheap,efficient ,decent looking
surround (including single piece sheet vinyl flooring surrounds). For
the last 2-3 years I have been removing everything from the walls
around the tub, sheeting the walls with 1/2" cdx plywood stopping
the plywood 1" above the tub flange then applying FRP sheets
vertically from the tub to the ceiling. I seal the FRP to the tub and at
all seams with 5200 marine sealant. It runs about $165 and takes
about 4 hours. In 3 years I’ve yet to have to do anything to one
except hit it with the boat brush and Tilex between tenants.
Clinton

Re: Tub Surrounds - Posted by darrellc

Posted by darrellc on July 18, 2011 at 23:59:22:

On the subject of kitchen cabinet. From time to time you can find people who are replacing their entire kitchen with new cabinets. I recently got a kitchen full of decent oak cabinets( Craigslist), a cast iron moen sink and a nice whirlpool dishwasher for $300. I used a new countertop from Lowes and ended up with a much better kithen than trying to mess with the worn out mobile home cabinets. I sometimes use the searchword “kitchen remodel”. Happy hunting.
P.S. Sometimes high quality used is better than cheap new.