TSP for nicotine on walls? - Posted by Tony Colell

Posted by Dr. B. (OH) on July 19, 2011 at 21:18:08:

Hey Steve,
Yep, I simply get a 5 gal bucket with TSP & water, an extension pole, and 9-inch bristle brush( often used for roof coat). You don’t have to scrub very hard. Rinse with a hose, let dry and paint (also with the extension pole). If the sun is shining just right, it will be dry on the first part you did by the time you finish scrubbing, so paint away.

I started doing this in 1986 when I lived in Delaware. I can only attest to the endurance of a recent paint job done in December of 2002 on a 45 degree sunny day. It still looks good although the roof coat is starting to discolor the job in places from rain runoff. I used Behr exterior latex paint (no primer) at that time. However, I have been disappointed with the same paint more recently.

Steve

TSP for nicotine on walls? - Posted by Tony Colell

Posted by Tony Colell on July 15, 2011 at 06:35:29:

I ran into a handyman of mine today who was explaining how impressed he was with TSP for cleaning grease off kitchen cabinets etc.

Although he did say he should have work gloves (think he may no longer have fingerprints!).

I read an old string here about this chemical product(each expressing the need for gloves and goggles.

I went and looked at some of the cabinets he cleaned with it and I was impressed.

Has anyone used this on the mobile home walls that have the drywall/wallpaper pre-attached?

How about just the ugly nicotine stained rooms with painted over drywall/wallpaper?

I have one house that is that famous shade of smoker yellow and in the past I have tried a number of products and ammonia (but that smells too much like carpet to me) to clean the walls or the latex kilz won’t stick too well.

Any thoughts on this?

Tony

Re: TSP for - Posted by Dr. B (OH)

Posted by Dr. B (OH) on July 17, 2011 at 15:37:08:

I have successfully used TSP prior to painting the exterior metal of a home where the paint has “chalked” or oxidized. It removes the chalking, ready for paint.

Steve

Fabuloso at Wal-Mart - Posted by Lin (NC)

Posted by Lin (NC) on July 17, 2011 at 12:04:59:

I had two heavy smokers move out after 8 years, and I used a product called Fabuloso to get the smoke residue off the thermofoil kitchen cabinets, painted walls and woodwork. Fortunately I don’t have wallpaper, so I don’t know if it would leave that intact, but I expect so.

I did use gloves, but I don’t think it’s as harsh as TSP. You can pick it up at Wal-Mart.

Lin

Re: TSP for nicotine on walls? - Posted by Shawn Sisco

Posted by Shawn Sisco on July 15, 2011 at 09:34:58:

Tony, I first read Steve WA post about the virtues of TSP, and I tried it. It works way better than anything else that I have tried. It is especially effective on the nicotine stained vinyl on gyp wallboard.But also works very well on greasy wallboard in kitchens.
Real hot - as in boiling - water is probably a contributing factor in its effectiveness.

please describe your method - Posted by Steve-WA

Posted by Steve-WA on July 19, 2011 at 11:13:08:

I have a metal singlewide rental that I have been putting off painting - chalk and chip like crazy. I recently pressure washed it, and its almost bare metal now, but I think a TSP exfoliation would be perfect.

How did you do it? Surely not by hand . . .

Re: TSP for nicotine on walls? - Posted by Bernd Hanak

Posted by Bernd Hanak on July 16, 2011 at 05:26:27:

Tri-sodium phosphate (Na3Po4) is simply a most effective cleaning and de -glossing agent, outperforming the common cleansers. It has lost its popularity as it allegedly threatens the survival of wacko-environmentalists and the continued existence of our planet. As mentioned, it removes grime, grease, and tobacco tar from any surface, and prepares it for painting. It ?cuts? the gloss of oil paint , cleans the pores of a latex- based paint and degreases vinyl wallpaper. A couple of teaspoons of TSP dissolved in luke-warm water make an effective solution. A diving suit is not required when applying the cleanser. Rubber gloves are not necessary if one doesn?t mind wrinkled skin. For cleaning walls, or flat door surfaces, a sponge mop is a handy tool for the application of TSP as well as for the required rinsing process. A repeat is usually not necessary. On cabinets, or any sculptured surface, an old, three or four inch brush is an effective applicator. We have used TSP for decades and continue to do so.