Trade Housing Futures soon ... - Posted by Jack

Posted by Dons on November 14, 2005 at 07:36:25:

Quote: “While unusual, it won’t be the most exotic contract offered by the world’s largest futures exchange. That distinction has been held for six years by weather futures, which are based on regional temperature indexes”

Toooo Strange! Wouldn’t we do better at the gaming tables in Lost Wages, NV…uh I mean Las Vegas?

Trade Housing Futures soon … - Posted by Jack

Posted by Jack on November 13, 2005 at 21:50:16:

http://www.wallstreetandtech.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=173601433

Re: Trade Housing Futures soon … - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on November 14, 2005 at 19:33:09:

Without going to the link I can say that the UK has had housing futures for a few years. The market is not perfect as imbalances are common (too many people wanting to bet in the same direction so no ability to lay off the bet if you are the house).

The principal is sound when you can find pools of people who have interest in taking opposite positions.

John Corey
Chelsea Private Equity, LLC

PS. I worked at an investment bank that ‘invented’ a reverse mortgage product tailored for older people. Insurance companies that needed to pay out pensions were the perfect match for the other side as they knew that the pay-outs are tied to salaries which tended to drive home prices (30+% of a salary for housing is a broad norm).

John Corey
Chelsea Private Equity, LLC