Tractor or Wrecker? - Posted by JOHN

Posted by Fred on March 14, 2003 at 02:44:55:

NOT NO BUT H— no !!! I bet If the DOT catches you youll never do it agian. The laws have changed alot in the last few years , seems you got to have a permit to move anything ,and a hole lot of insurance.

Tractor or Wrecker? - Posted by JOHN

Posted by JOHN on March 13, 2003 at 15:09:58:

I bought lonnie scruggs 2 books a couple days ago, waiting for them to arrive. The answer to my question may be found there but I’ll ask just in case. A few years ago (bout 15) I pulled a trailer across town (bout15 miles), with my tractor, never got stoped by the police so does anyone think maybe I could buy manufactured homes (I like calling them trailers, hope no one minds) and pull them home with my tractor so I could fix them up? My next question is- can a wrecker legally pull a trailer??? If so I may be able to get my neighbor to do this for me at a reasonable price.
I live in TN.

Re: Tractor or Wrecker? - Posted by Kevin

Posted by Kevin on March 14, 2003 at 09:31:17:

I had a friend do this about 8 years ago. Well something went wrong, and he had a very minor accident (hit a parked truck)with no injuries. They had him in handcuffs at one point. It ended up costing him a few thousand dollars to buy his way out of it.
Now for what I think is the funny part of the story. He was moving an older small DW which was pretty light, so he went out and rented a PickUp to move it. Of course the rental company had no idea what he had in mind (no towing was part of the contract)or had done until the truck owner tried to file on their insurance…LOL
I used to drive a truck and a couple of the laws I think you would run into would be, over 8.5 feet you need an over size permit and I’m not sure how much a home weighs, but you also might need a CDL drivers license. Not to mention a big ins policy.

Re: Tractor or Wrecker? - Posted by Bob(OH)

Posted by Bob(OH) on March 14, 2003 at 03:45:14:

In addition to what Fred offered, On the newer homes now, they have dry wall, 2x6 walls. The toung weight can get up to 5000lbs. Not sure what kind of tractor your neighbor has but…I wouldnt try it.
Bob(OH)