Thought for the day.... - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Stew(NE) on December 24, 2000 at 23:47:59:

If you admire him as a person, then I think you need to stop. Because it appears he is making a statement(and I argue not a polictical one) about his core beliefs and values (as well as his niece’s) If you don’t agree with them, how can you admire the man as a person? If you are saying that you admire his knowledge of real estate, then I agree that your argument is on solid ground. But with all due respect, you do not admire the man and you are so confused that you don’t even understand it. Mr. Garcia (I beleive) and others have stating that it is important to become a student of some teachers and not followers. In this case, you need to just be a student and not a follower. PLEASE don’t try to change the teacher.

Merry Christmas (not X-mas)

Thought for the day… - Posted by Ed Garcia

Posted by Ed Garcia on December 24, 2000 at 12:25:08:

Thought for the day,

I haven’t give a thought for the day in a while and so I thought I give you one today. With Christmas coming up tomorrow, I realize that it’s the time of year for celebration, sharing, giving, and spending time with the family. I’m sure that those of you, who have read my post in the past, know that I’m big on family.

Although Christmas is a day of celebration and family get togethers, the thought accrued to me, the real meaning of Christmas. It’s a religious day, it’s day of the celebration of the birth of our father. Now I’m not going to go into a religious sermon, that’s not my style. But rather you believe in god or not, you have to appreciate the moral foundation into which most religions are built around.

You know, if you attend any of my workshops, one of my main messages is that, “We are product of our environment”. I sometimes ask myself where are we going today? What examples are we setting for our youth? What are we doing about ROLL MODELS?

Here is an e-mail I received from my niece who is going to Washington University to become a doctor.

THE NEW SCHOOL PRAYER

This was written by a teen in Bagdad, Arizona.
This is incredible!!!

Now I sit me down in school
Where praying is against the rule
For this great nation under God
Finds mention of Him very odd.

If Scripture now the class recites,
It violates the Bill of Rights.
And anytime my head I bow
becomes a Federal matter now.

Our hair can be purple, orange or green,
That’s no offense; it’s a freedom scene.
The law is specific, the law is precise.
Prayers spoken aloud are a serious vice.

For praying in a public hall
might offend someone with no faith at all.
In silence alone we must meditate,
God’s name is prohibited by the state.

We’re allowed to cuss and dress like freaks,
and pierce our noses, tongues and cheeks.
They’ve outlawed guns, but FIRST the Bible.
To quote the Good Book makes me liable.

We can elect a pregnant Senior Queen,
And the ‘unwed daddy,’ our Senior King.
It’s “inappropriate” to teach right from wrong,
We’re taught that such “judgments” do not belong.

We can get our condoms and birth controls,
Study witchcraft, vampires and totem poles.
But the Ten Commandments are not allowed,
No word of God must reach this crowd.

It’s scary here I must confess,
When chaos reigns the school’s a mess.
So, Lord, this silent plea I make:
Should I be shot; my soul please take!

Amen

Kind of makes you think doesn’t it?

Merry Christmas,

Ed Garcia

Thanks for sharing - Posted by Chicago Steve

Posted by Chicago Steve on December 26, 2000 at 10:12:55:

Happy Holidays!

Re: Thought for the day… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on December 24, 2000 at 20:22:44:

I’ve thought that kind of stuff for years. The schools teach everything except how to live and survive in this world. They don’t teach right from wrong, but when you get out into the “real world” they expect you to know it. They don’t teach about money, but when you get out into the “real world” they expect you to survive economically and financially. The public school system is a total joke when it comes to the real world.

And we wonder why so many people in this country have zero morals and have next to zero financially.

Re: Thought for the day… - Posted by Nick

Posted by Nick on December 24, 2000 at 18:56:07:

Hello Mr. Ed Garcia;

Sir, with all due respect, why in the world do you
want to make a political statement with your “thought
for the day” poem?

Your post should be deleted, because this newsgroup
does not exist for stating ones personal political
opinions.

There are other newsgroups that are relevant.

You are a nice guy, and I admire you as a person,
but PLEASE, keep your political opinions to yourself.

Re: Thought for the day… - Posted by Cork Horner

Posted by Cork Horner on December 24, 2000 at 13:49:45:

HEY ED! Reading your ’ thoughts for the day’ always bring me back to the reality that you are a soft touch AFTER ALL… ;-] AND not just a task master mentor…;-]

Re: Thought for the day… - Posted by Judy Hoppe Copp

Posted by Judy Hoppe Copp on December 24, 2000 at 13:36:23:

Thank you sir for a meaningful piece for this holiday season. May you and yours enjoy it to its fullest. God Bless.

Re: Thought for the day… - Posted by Rick(CA)

Posted by Rick(CA) on December 25, 2000 at 02:15:09:

Your thoughts reminds me of Lonnie Scruggs article “What’s Wrong With Our Schools”? If you haven’t read it, do so. Too many students aren’t getting a “real” education to survive in this world. Credit is King, but responsibility takes a distant last. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why so many people fall into financial trouble.

I’ve seen the poem before an always thought it poignant and telling.

Happy Holidays to all!