The Straight Truth... Does the CS Program Work?? - Posted by Chris Ashcraft

Posted by READ IT on November 17, 1998 at 14:20:35:

No I haven’t read his materials and do intend to someday soon. I’ve heard they are good and I don’t doubt he has been around awhile. It’s his ego and biases that are dangerous and erroneous. No question, some of his comments and assessments are right on the mark. Some are incredibly off base. He puts down people that absolutely do have more experience than him in areas because they will not kiss his tail end. He gets very picky about little things and rips the author to shreds about them. The problem is he pretends to know it all and comments about everyone and everything even if he has only had a conversation about them, doesn’t like their southern style or whatever. That is dangerous. All in all, he has some great points, yet he trashes some that he knows nothing or little about and praises others likewise. 80-90% is right on. Some is dead wrong. Example, he puts down Jimmy Napier and Jack Miller who could eat him for lunch with their knowledge and experience. He praises others because they are his buddies. By the way, based on his fine wisdom, you are and everyone else here are just a bunch of “Cliff Clavens” and the site is without value. Someone reading his reviews would be tempted to steer clear of this site and many of the contributors. There is 100 times the value to be found at this site as there is at his and a dozen like his. That I will react to as one who has gained a great deal of value here. I will react when he ignorantly attacks this site or any of the owners. You have to admire them for not striking back - I am not one of them to make that perfectly clear. If he could do something about his incredible ego and biases, his site and observations could have a great deal more value. Unlike John Reed, I wouldn’t classify him or his materials worthless because he is pompous, egotistical and biased.

The Straight Truth… Does the CS Program Work?? - Posted by Chris Ashcraft

Posted by Chris Ashcraft on November 12, 1998 at 21:07:48:

I have spent a great deal of time review the program and going through different information posted on this and other web sites about the Carleton Sheets program. My question is does it work?? According to John Reed (An article found while searching for CS info) the CS program is a scam and in most cases will end in financial disaster. I would appreciate any information. Thanks

Re: The Straight Truth… - Posted by darla nassif

Posted by darla nassif on November 24, 1998 at 11:16:33:

YES! if you make the commitment to really work hard at it it will work for you. I have made 4 offers already and one was accepted today. I am in the process of going over the course for the third time and taking the Personal coaching offered by cs. I am very happy with the course and my progress. darla

Re: The Straight Truth… - Posted by Don (Silicon Valley)

Posted by Don (Silicon Valley) on November 19, 1998 at 14:53:03:

Well, I don’t know if Mr. Reed has tried it, but a friend of mine did…he bought his first investment property a little over a year ago using Sheets techniques and a credit card…now he owns 4 properties. He doesn’t seem to be suffering from financial disaster…but then maybe Mr. Reed’s definition of financial disaster is different than mine.

Re: The Straight Truth… - Posted by Paul D. Meehan

Posted by Paul D. Meehan on November 16, 1998 at 10:10:41:

Chris,

The Carlton Sheets program, as with many of the other programs on Real Estate, are worthwhile as they will provide you with introductory level knowledge of RE investing. Many of the programs are being hustled at outrageous prices. Before spending a dime, go to your library and read all you can…for FREE.

Warm regards,
Paul D. Meehan

Re: Don’t listen to that guy - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on November 15, 1998 at 08:03:33:

That John Reed guys website is geared towards selling his books. Listen to the people on this website who have used and either failed or succeeded with the course. Don’t listen to people who are trying to sell there product on their website. Would you tell somebody that the other guys product was better than yours?? Don’t just look at CS. Look at all the books and courses on this website before buying one you like.

Yes… - Posted by Jason

Posted by Jason on November 13, 1998 at 19:34:54:

Carlton Sheets works if YOU work.
It is a good basic course with good material.

Re: The Straight Truth… - Posted by Rob FL

Posted by Rob FL on November 12, 1998 at 21:21:28:

The course does not work. It just sits there on a bookshelf. You do the work!!! The information in the course is great. There are many fantastic ideas in it. It is definitely a stepping stone to success. However the key is that YOU MUST DO THE WORK. If you don’t put in the effort, nothing will happen.

As a side note, look on this newsgroup and compare how many people compliment the stuff from Sheets compared to Reed. Sheets outshines Reed 5 to 1.

Re: Don’t listen to that guy - Posted by Matthew Chan

Posted by Matthew Chan on November 24, 1998 at 23:38:28:

I have to agree with you that just because he slams on CS that it is bad. There are LOTS of successful people in Real Estate each with their own perspectives and strategies. I believe they are all right to a certain degree. Thus I buy the different books and make my own choices as to what techniques and strategies I want to use. Heck, I may even read John T Reed’s stuff.

Re: Don’t listen to that guy - Posted by Paul D. Meehan

Posted by Paul D. Meehan on November 16, 1998 at 10:14:47:

Chris,

I think it is unwise to dismiss John Reed’s advice to veer away from potential scams simply because he himself sells RE information.

Warm regards,
Paul D. Meehan

Re: Don’t listen to that guy - Posted by Chris

Posted by Chris on November 17, 1998 at 14:17:43:

Paul,
I just don’t like how he put other people down to sell his own products. I’m not saying what he sells is information that can’t be used by someone, I just don’t agree with some of the statements he makes on his website.

Reed is totally biased. - Posted by He’s full of it

Posted by He’s full of it on November 16, 1998 at 15:57:08:

Read the posts below about Reed. He is too biased and self serving to pay much attention to. His method of putting down other people’s materials then recommending his own is just part of it. If he had one tenth the knowledge he claims, we indeed should worship him like he desires.

Re: Reed is totally biased. - Posted by marty

Posted by marty on November 18, 1998 at 16:01:37:

Your 100% correct. REED is a phoney. He puts evryone down to sell his own material. He HAS NEVER EVEN DONE A LEASE PURCHASE !. He isn’t even a west pointer as he claims.

I disagree - Posted by HR

Posted by HR on November 16, 1998 at 17:20:10:

John Reed is an arrogant, narcissistic, conflict-loving, grumpy jerk. He also is an expert on real estate. Avoid him at your own dire risk.

I usually steer away from the posts about John Reed; I coulden’t pass on this one, though. You are very wrong in your assessment of his materials.

Have you read any of his materials? Most are at least very good, and some are down-right authoritative (ie. Aggressive tax avoidance for real estate investors). His stuff is WAY better than the average re schlock that’s on the market (Hicks, Cook, others).

The problem with John Reed’s materials is John Reed the man. I started this post with how I feel about the man. His materials, though, are definitely worth reading.

He does have an agenda, but it isn’t to present distorted re information; he knows what he is talking about. Reed just likes to present and argue reasoned positions. (I sometimes wonder if he just doesn’t like to argue, period.)

So you don’t like some of his arguments. Neither do I. I think his assessment of lease options, for example, is folly. I think his criticism of Lonnie’s MH books (he approves of lonnie, by the way) is dumb – (Reed doesn’t like the salesmanship comments in one of Lonnie’s books; grow up John; live in the real world). He puts down Carlton’s Sheets materials because of the marketing approach (dumb; the materials are a great value for only $180).

I like reading Reed because he is a different voice in the wilderness of re investing. There are a lot of cons and voices out there, though; it never hurts to get another opinion. He has an agenda, but think critically for yourself and you get the benefit of his reasoned positions, while making up your own mind.

IMHO, don’t dismiss his writings categorically because you don’t like his personality. I don’t like his personality, either. I’ll read everything he wrote, though.

If you don’t want to support his grumpyness, do what I sometimes do: I read his stuff at Barnes and Noble over a cup of coffee. (Thanks for the good info and informed opinion, John; sorry I didn’t put my money into your pocket. I generally don’t like supporting grumps. I appreciate your expertise, though. I also like getting it for about $2.00. Cheers John, and consider a good psychiatrist.)

HR