the first few calls bring sunny afternoon grins.... - Posted by chris

Posted by David (Henderson, NV) on June 14, 1999 at 20:40:27:

I laughed so hard. We need more stuff like this on the board. I’m working a possible 1st deal. Will let y’all know how it turns out.

the first few calls bring sunny afternoon grins… - Posted by chris

Posted by chris on June 14, 1999 at 19:50:01:

call #1- hit the answering machine…

“Hello, this is Eddie. At the Beep, talk a Heap. Saiyrom!”

interesting.

call #2- conversation went something like this.

Hello, I’m calling about the ad in the paper for a mobile home. can i speak with doug, please.

He’s here.

(short pause while i wait for the guy to go get doug)

(more urgently) HE’S HERE!

(duh…guess that was doug)
oh. yes, i saw your ad in the paper about the mobile…could you please tell me a little more about it?

(dumbfounded)
uh-well-uh…it’s a trailer and it’s sitting in a trailer park! what else do you need to know?

(uh-thrown for a loop but regain composure)
yes, i see. so i see here that it is a 14x70?

yup…

ok-three bed, two bath, right.

yup…

hmmm…well, is this in a family park?

yup…

hmmm… any age restrictions?

yup…

and they would be???(ps-by this time i have already decided that i will never go from the questionaire that i made for calling sellers…strictly off the cuff from here on out.)

well…i think ya gotta be old. hmm…i’m 60.

i see sir. well thanks for your time. i guess i won’t be able to get in there. goodbye.

yup…(click)

well folks. my intro to the wonderful world of mobiles. i was all worried about cold calling on these things at first. for those of you that are letting that hold you back…just make the first call. it is entertaining as well as educational.

3rd call…straight from the cuff…
seller was motivated and in boxes already. divorce forces sale. 2500 bucks for a 3bd/2ba. does have to be moved. she didn’t have title…blah blah. a little more encouraging though. just got down to earth and talked with her. asked questions…listened…and she rambled for at least 15 minutes about her life/family/divorce/parents…you name it. i really had to steer her back to the topic. but it sure does work. she told me everything i would ever care to know about her home/finances/ and situation. anyway, today was fun…no real leads yet…but a few giggles.

thanks
chris(wa)

formerly chris(korea)
btw-if anyone knows what the heck “Saiyrom” means…i hope you will let me in on it…

Could it be… - Posted by CarolFL

Posted by CarolFL on June 16, 1999 at 18:14:28:

See you around?

Giggles - Just wait 'til you talk to buyers! - Posted by Carmen

Posted by Carmen on June 15, 1999 at 16:51:31:

Are you sure it’s not “Sayonara” - the equivalent of “Aloha” - either hello or goodbye, depends on when you say it?

Do you ever wonder how some people EVER get a home sold? A large number of calls I’ve made either land in voice mail and are never returned, or are answered by 4-year-olds and “mommy’s not home”.

In any case, buyers are fun, too. My memory’s not so good that I can quote them like you did, but I know I’ve had some laughs with them!