Texas question - Posted by Senior C

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 15, 2003 at 13:41:00:

Bandit signs I would say. Of course word of mouth and networking has done me just as well. Less contacts but the ones I get are usually better. Everyone seems to remember me because it’s hard to forget a redhead that won’t ever shut up LOL ]

Hey whatever works! hahah

But out of Ads/bandit signs/ fliers and such… I would definately say signs.

Heather Zaal

Texas question - Posted by Senior C

Posted by Senior C on October 14, 2003 at 20:04:47:

I live in the Austin area, and finally recovered from the butt kicking from Oklahoma last Saturday(geez).

Anyhow, I’ve been doing my research and it seems Texas isn’t the most friendly state for CREI. I was wondering if someone in Texas knows how good the Austin market is for this? I haven’t started investing yet. I’m not looking to get rich, just some extra income that’s all. Trust me, if you’re from Austin, don’t worry about me. I love my day job and that’s my passion. I just want an honest way to make extra money without having to abandon my family for days on end, like is so common in the corporate world (I should know, I work in it).

Also, what local clubs in Austin are the best? They don’t all have websites so it’s hard to gauge. Are all of them good? Just trying to get some advice from fellow Texans (Jim Kennedy I’ve seen a lot of your intelligent posts. Thanks).

Re: Texas question - Posted by Heather -Tx

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 14, 2003 at 20:08:35:

I have found creative investing here in Texas to be pretty decent. Although I am in the Houston Area, not Austin. Jim is a great guy btw… pretty much my mentor LOL He has partnered 2 deals with me so far, and we close on number 3 on the 28th. And yes… he does alot of creative real estate here in Houston. I’ve heard good things about Austin from other investors though.

Heather

Re: Texas question - Posted by Senior C

Posted by Senior C on October 15, 2003 at 24:06:48:

Thanks Heather!

I have some video partners (that’s the industry I’m in, video production) in Houston. I’m there rather often. Who knows, maybe we’ll meet one day…

So the general comment of “there are a lot of good deals to go around” is true? Or is that just something nice to say? Do newbies ever become your competition in Houston? I just want to know what I’m gettig into, because I’m not the type to step on toes or bad talk other people. I’ve seen enough of that in my current profession to make me sick to my stomach. That’s why I only stand to make a “little” extra cash doing this. I get told I’m too “nice” all the time when asked about rival companies. It seems in this business though, you’re not really competing for the same customer, it’s who finds the motivated buyer first. Sound right?

Re: Texas question - Posted by jasonrei

Posted by jasonrei on October 15, 2003 at 09:43:26:

I’m a rehabber in Houston, too. The odds of Heather and I competing for the same property are probably very slim. We probably get our leads from different sources. Even if we WERE competing on the same deals I know I’d beat her ; )

But seriously, competition from other investors really isn’t a factor. The only place it has been, for me, was at foreclosure auctions.

Yes, it usually is just a matter of who finds the motivated seller first.

Re: Texas question - Posted by Heather -Tx

Posted by Heather -Tx on October 15, 2003 at 11:11:17:

LOL jason That ego will get you everywhere! heh

Actually I have had a couple times when a seller wanted to “Shop my offer” With other investors. I usually back out then or tell them my offer is good for 24 hours. I really don’t duke it out with other investors =) The leads that I get mostly contact me… so it isn’t usually an issue.

Hope this Helps,
Heather Zaal

Re: Texas question - Posted by Keith

Posted by Keith on October 15, 2003 at 13:28:23:

Heather,

I’m new to REI here in the Houston area and I was wondering what is your best source of contacts for these properties? Bandit signs? Flyers? I’m just trying to get going here, trying to make some extra money. Any insight you could provide is greatly appreciated