tennant gets arrested during move out - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on April 07, 2002 at 19:54:08:

It would only cost me $5 to do a criminal search. This isnt the most desirable location, I have to comprise to get the place rented. I am happy to have criminals as tennants, as long can pay the rent.

tennant gets arrested during move out - Posted by JD

Posted by JD on April 06, 2002 at 23:22:45:

A new one for me. I agreed to let a tennant out of his lease if he left his appliances behind and moved out by Friday the 5th. He agreed to meet me at the property Saturday at Noon to sign off the paperwork and get part of his security deposit back. Of course he hadnt moved anything out yet when I arrived. After I started changing the locks he told me to come back in three hours. I said no, he would either be obligated to the rest of the lease, or he could move out immediatelly. He ranted for two minutes about his rights, and his lawyer. I told him that the only lawyer he had any use for was a criminal lawyer. Just as I said that a guy walks though the open apartment door, announces that he is with Billy Bob Bail Bonds and that he is there to arrest Mr. Tennant. Mr. tennant walks away in handcuffs, while his girlfriend cries. :slight_smile:

Re: tennant gets arrested during move out - Posted by JoeS

Posted by JoeS on April 07, 2002 at 17:56:12:

Here in NY you cannot evict a tenant for non-payment of rent if he is in jail awaiting conviction. You have to wait until he/she either goes to trial or they are out on bail. I went through this a while back and had to wait 4 months while this girl was being held (NO BAIL FOR DRUGS!). She wound up stiffing me (LOL) for the rent. Happy days!

Re: tennant gets arrested during move out - Posted by JZ

Posted by JZ on April 07, 2002 at 17:40:24:

Congrats on your luck with that deadbeat. Usually its a lot easier to keep them out than to get them out. Is there anyway, when screening prospect tenants, to find out if they have a criminal history? What would such a background check cost?
Thanks.

Re: tennant gets arrested during move out - Posted by DavePA

Posted by DavePA on April 08, 2002 at 11:22:19:

Try www.ntnnet.com