tenant yard care question - Posted by John in NC

Posted by Larry TX on March 15, 2004 at 18:32:05:

In addition to the previous recomendation my lease says that they must abide by the neighborhod deed restrictions, water the grass and landscaping, limits the number of cars in the driveway and states no cars or vehicles of any kind parked on the grass.
If you have gutters, they need to clean those also

tenant yard care question - Posted by John in NC

Posted by John in NC on March 15, 2004 at 10:12:18:

Well, I just put in my first bid offer for a REO house here in NC. Pretty exciting (to me anyway).
We would be looking to rent this initial property, and I had a question in regard to yard/lawn care by any tenant we might have. I know that I can put whatever I like into a lease agreement, but I was wondering what people TYPICALLY put into their agreements in regard to yard/lawn care. All I’m really asking for is for the tentant to keep the lawn cut and avoid having trash in the yard. It’s a decent neighborhood, and I’d like to keep it that way. Do single family home renters typically have lawn mowers? What recourse would a LL typically take if the yard wasn’t properly upkept? (Aside from asking for better care).

I know there’s a lot of other questions I might have as a new LL, but I’ve been getting a lot of info, except on this question.

Regards,

John in NC

Re: tenant yard care question - Posted by Russ Sims

Posted by Russ Sims on March 15, 2004 at 16:15:44:

Require the tenant to maintain the yard and landscaping at its present level. Specifically state that they need to mow the lawn at least every 2 weeks or whatever is practical in your area. State that they must keep hedges and trees trimmed and away from the home. The more specific you can be, the better their compliance should be. You can’t just tell them to ‘maintain the yard’ because that’s open to interpretation. They don’t have a lawn mower? Too bad. buy one or find another home.

Also state that if you find the yard is not being maintained, you will have a professional service do it and you’ll require the tenant to pay.
Good luck