tenant steal electric - Posted by Nancy Dallas

Posted by speednxs on May 19, 2006 at 07:07:39:

YMMV. Years ago I had constructions workers steal my electricy rather than get a generator. SDG&E showed up and said “Not our problem” as it was after the meter and billed to my account and they left.

tenant steal electric - Posted by Nancy Dallas

Posted by Nancy Dallas on May 18, 2006 at 22:26:21:

My tenant in a 9 unit building is consistantly stealing electric from our main meter after several warnings… I’m thinking of evicting them… but I hold the title in my LLC so I’ll need an attorney to represent me in court for eviction other than none payment of rent… which can be expensive… is there a cheaper way to get them out quickly?

thanks

Nancy, Dallas

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by Frank Chin

Posted by Frank Chin on May 20, 2006 at 08:11:41:

Nancy:

Can I assume there are submeters where you can measure the usage for each rental. Otherwise, tenant wouldn’t need to hookup to after the main meter.

It seems the SUM TOTAL of usage at the submeter level should equal the usage of the main meter, and if she’s the only one stealing, then you can CALCULATE the smount stolen by substracting the sum total of the usage of the submeters from the main.

Then, sue her for the stolen usage. In this case, her stealing is fruitless.

And if you can doucment the amount, you can also proceed criminally, as there’s a threshold for a “felony”.

Frank Chin

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on May 19, 2006 at 06:18:51:

Nancy,

Though others thinks this is a criminal act against the power company it could be an issue between you and the tenant as the power is stolen after the meter.

You can pay them to leave. If you have a month to month agreement you can just give notice without cause and see what happens.

More troubling is the idea that your use of an LLC has motivated you to shy away evictions and other standard procedures. Look at the cost of a lawyer as a cost of the liability protection as opposed to an excuse to avoid doing what is needed. A lawyer to handle an eviction might be less expensive than you think if the tenant chooses to move rather than fight.

The future value of the property is a function of the NOI. You have to be willing to do what is needed in a timely fashion. LLCs come with a cost. The loss of the ability to represent yourself is also a benefit as the lawyer will be responsible for handling the eviction correctly.

John Corey

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by dealmaker

Posted by dealmaker on May 18, 2006 at 22:51:52:

I’d be on the phone tomorrow to the security division at your electric utility (TXU?). Theft of service is a pretty serious crime in TX.

dealmaker

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on May 20, 2006 at 09:29:47:

Thanks!
They got their own meter, but utility company took it away due to nonpayment… they broke into the meter to steal, after we locked it up, they cut a wire from our main line at night and steal it that way…
I’m going to evit them and call the police I catch them again… Already told the utility company, they are checking it out.

thanks
nancy

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by Nancy

Posted by Nancy on May 19, 2006 at 09:14:42:

Thanks John for your advice!!

Re: tenant steal electric - Posted by Charles Parrish

Posted by Charles Parrish on May 18, 2006 at 23:28:56:

Take pictures of the wiring that goes to your PS meter to his apartment. Call the utility company. The police will offer him a room at the Gray Bar Motel (free bed and food).

Charles