Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Michael

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on May 14, 2006 at 09:09:07:

Yes but…

That defeats the whole purpose of having desert landsacping because you will be rounding up over and over again. Might as well just mow. It’s probably easier than crawling over the rocks look for each weed. Thus the plastic underneath the rocks…

Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Michael

Posted by Michael on May 13, 2006 at 08:45:49:

Hello,

I have a nice house that was fixed up last year, with new landscaping. As the yard was in rough shape, we planted grass and created several berms on drip lines. We planted a mixture of large plants, and small ground cover at the berms.

This year, due to some family obligations, we were unable to weed (or spray) the berms. Even though the tenant was told not to touch them, she decided to go ahead, and pulled all the small plants that were planted last year as ground cover, and grasses, about $150 worth.

They are very good tenants, just like some advice from you more experienced landlords. I looked through the tenant contract, and I don’t explicitly state not to touch the plants. I have told them verbally numerous times that we would take care of the berms (over the past year), but nothing in writing.

Thanks, Michael

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by BTI

Posted by BTI on May 14, 2006 at 20:20:33:

Michael

I say you toss them out, just let me know the date and time so I can come by and put them into one of my rentals.

Reminds me of tenant I put into a run down property in a good neighborhood that I was going to rehab after they moved and I qualified for a long term capital gain. The property was 50 miles from me and the rent check arrived a week early each month. After I finally got up to the property 6 months later to see what I needed to do to fully rehab the property, I drove right past it. The tenant had fully got the yard restored, the house finished completely inside except for the carpet. He did wonderful work and was asking if he could repaint the outside and showed me the colors he wanted to use and asked if I would pay for the paint.

Tenants that want to keep a property in shape through their own efforts are my favorite. I paid $50k for the property and when he was done it was worth $100k. I sold it to him for $75k and every one was happy. He was a corporate executive but loved to work with his hands and I suggested he do a little rehab investing, which he did and became a full time investor, for all I know he is checking out this site right now.

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Michael

Posted by Michael on May 13, 2006 at 13:29:29:

Thanks all for your comments. Very helpful.

Michael

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Mike-OH

Posted by Mike-OH on May 13, 2006 at 10:36:25:

Michael,

You are very fortunate to have good tenants. If you told the tenants that you would take care of the berms and then you didn’t, you certainly can’t criticize the tenants for trying to keep the yard neat. Moreover, I think that you are making a mistake planting small plants around the yard. If this is a rental property, treat it like one. When you’re new, it’s easy to want to keep your rental properties like your personal residence. Having tenants are not conducive to having a very nice property. Do what’s required to rent the property, but don’t do anything extra. Rentals are all about numbers, not pride of ownership.

Mike

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by John Corey

Posted by John Corey on May 13, 2006 at 09:44:11:

Sounds like you have invested $150 in learning that you need a better contract. Not much this time around.

Consider talking to them and explaining their mistake. Maybe you can agree a solution where they will cover the cost or otherwise make you hole. You do not have much of a legal leg to stand on so focus on the relationship to solve the issue.

Also consider that the type of landscaping might be a bad choice for a rental.

John Corey

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on May 13, 2006 at 11:42:28:

Totally agree with this. And Ill add one more thing: It’s about EASE (or lack) of maintenance. Becuase you don’t WANT to do it. And your tenants (for the most part) WON’T do it.

So for me this means: Desert landscaping. Rocks don’t need maintenance.

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Dons

Posted by Dons on May 13, 2006 at 10:40:53:

Since they are good tenants consider it a learning experience like John said.

However, buy new plants and have them help you replant. Then they will know which plants to leave in place and maybe they can keep the berm cleared of weeds for you.

Don

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Mike-OH

Posted by Mike-OH on May 13, 2006 at 13:25:57:

Mark,

I love the idea of desert landscaping. I’d give it a try, but here in Ohio those darn weeds are tougher than roaches. Maybe a weedscape - what do you think?

Mike

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on May 13, 2006 at 20:30:33:

another word “rocks”

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on May 13, 2006 at 15:10:36:

Just have your landscaper put down plastic underneath the rocks. That normally takes care of any weeds poking up through the rocks.

Mark

Re: Tenant pulled up new plants by mistake - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on May 13, 2006 at 20:28:16:

One word “roundup”