Tenant or Landlord - Posted by Steve

Posted by John Merchant on June 16, 2006 at 11:54:49:

And if your rental agreement didn’t cover that, I’d guess you’d have a tough time collecting from your T…but at the same time, he hasn’t a clear shot at making you pay for it.

Maintenance and repairs is one of the things a good LL’s rental agreement should contain.

And a couple of suggestions for any LL…find and join and atttend meetings of your local rental/LL association.

And find and familiarize yourself with your state’s laws so you’ll KNOW answers to simple questions like this about renting in your state.

Tenant or Landlord - Posted by Steve

Posted by Steve on June 16, 2006 at 10:26:28:

If a window is broken at my rental property either by a break in or by accident, who is responsible for paying to fix it? At my store that I rent a space from, it is my problem not the owners.

Re: Tenant or Landlord - Posted by BTI

Posted by BTI on June 17, 2006 at 10:48:31:

Steve

In most states that I’m aware of, the tenant is responsible for any damage they cause over and above normal wear and tear. Now if the neighbors kid put a ball through the window, that was not caused by the tenant, the neighbor is responsible.

I’ve had tenants claim someone outside broke a window but when I got there the glass was sitting outside so that indicated it was broken from the inside. For many years I would eat these losses as a cost of doing business but one week a tenant’s kid wouldn’t stop stuffing stuff down the toilet, they took good care of the home and paid on time.

I finally told them the first time I paid the bill for the plumber because you are such good tenants and I like you. The second time I paid the bill because I knew for sure that you knew for sure that little danny was a problem and you would solve it. Last time I waited to see if you would offer to pay the bill. This time I’m going to have you pay the bill, your legally responsible and I believe I have been more than fair, do you think I’m being unreasonable?

When I got home, I created the “little danny” clause to be put into all future rental agreements. At that time I believed all rental agreements should be short and sweet, that idea was a bad one and my lease’s grew to 7 pages.

BTI