Tenant Moving In and I Just Ruined the Carpet - Posted by Frank Genovese

Posted by Tom on July 22, 2001 at 21:13:04:

This is a good reason to remember when the carpet man asks if you want to do the closets when you’re installing new carpet…

Tenant Moving In and I Just Ruined the Carpet - Posted by Frank Genovese

Posted by Frank Genovese on July 22, 2001 at 18:43:51:

While cleaning my townhouse for my tenant who’s moving in next week I spilled some toilet cleaner on the carpet. The carpet is a light beige color and the cleaner turned it a dark orange. I tried lots of stain removers and eventually used bleach on it. Now, it yellow like a banana and I’ll admit looks worse. I’m worried what the tenant is going to say. Any advice? Also, is it possible to have sections of carpet cut out and replaced? Any idea on the cost? I really don’t want to recarpet the entire room but the stain is pretty large.

Coming out of the closet!!! - Posted by gwtx

Posted by gwtx on July 22, 2001 at 20:34:26:

Gotcha attention right?

Go to your closets and see if they are carpeted. If they are carpeted and the same color…bingo-bango, there’s your patch.

Hope it helps
gary

Re: Tenant Moving In and I Just Ruined the Carpet - Posted by DanT

Posted by DanT on July 22, 2001 at 19:13:58:

I worked as a maintenance supervisor in large business hotels for a number of years and dying carpet is a common practice in that industry. Check in the yellow pages under carpet. As long as it is not a varigated color pattern it should be easy to fix. You probably already figured this out but never use bleach on carpet. DanT

Re: Tenant Moving In and I Just Ruined the Carpet - Posted by Jim Locker

Posted by Jim Locker on July 22, 2001 at 18:54:56:

Bummer!

Yes you can patch in sections of carpet, and if your carpet is reasonably new, this is an option. If it is older, the patch will show very clearly since the degree of wear will be very different. Of course, you have to have a piece of the same carpet before you can do this (aside…I once had a maintenance person who cleaned out a storage closet and threw away all those carpet scraps “you didn’t need them”. My response, as I fired him: “now how am I going to be able to patch carpets in this building? You have just cost me several thousand in replacement carpet that I could have avoided.”)

You might contact a company the dyes carpet. Again, if its overall condition is good, this is a cost effective choice.

To patch, if you have the material, will probably cost you about $50. To dye, which could be the better choice, will cost you up to $150 or so.

Yes… - Posted by David Alexander

Posted by David Alexander on July 22, 2001 at 18:52:11:

it’s simple for a carpet guy to come in cut a section out and replace it… the tricky part is that even though you might be using the same color carpet it will from a different dye lot unless you saved some extra when it was being installed. But it most instances it will close enough to work… it’s not like your reselling the place.

David Alexander