Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by Mike

Posted by Wayne-NC on March 08, 2007 at 11:07:08:

I would knock that chip right off their shoulder and look at it as a challenge. Nothing discriminatory, just facts. They are in MY house and I hold the cards. Talk about a captive audience. Watch them squirm while they get a firm education, probably for the first time in their life. Try it, it’s fun. If they don’t like the message, they can leave the church. I can see you thinking from here. I know we are preaching to the same choir.

Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by Mike

Posted by Mike on March 07, 2007 at 12:42:28:

Hello,

My tenant, who has lived in this property for 12 yrs, has been trying to move on section 8. 2 places fell through and they asked if I would do it on the property they live in now, which I own. Never done section 8, the house is rather run down, and the tenants are not tidy.

What should I look out for?

Thanks.

Re: Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by Edwin

Posted by Edwin on March 11, 2007 at 04:33:25:

It’s time for you to lose this tenant and fix up your property. Do you
really want a tenant who is not tidy and content to live in a run-down
house? I don’t!!. These are often the kind of tenants who won’t call
you for minor repair problems. Their inaction results in a bigger repair
for you down the road. Dump this loser.

Re: Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on March 09, 2007 at 19:15:44:

Does the term SLUM LORD come into mind??? Section 8 is really easy to pass as long as the place is rentable to anyone.

Re: Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on March 08, 2007 at 07:59:48:

Just yesterday, I received two inspection reports from the local housing authority. I have two long lists of stuff to replace and fix, incliding all of the carpet in both units. and these properties are 5 years old.

prepare yourself to spend some money. if your lucky, it will cost you less than $1000 to get it in compliance. but if its really run down, as you mentioned, it could be a very expensive proposition.

as for the quality of Section 8 tenants… they run the gamut. I have had some tterrible Section 8’ers, and some wonderful ones. The worst ones, in myexperience, and the ones who get 100% of their rent paid for them. these are super-irresponsible people by definition, often toting a huge chip on their shoulders (a welfare mentality)

Re: Tenant asked me if I can do section 8 - Posted by Nancy Dallas

Posted by Nancy Dallas on March 07, 2007 at 22:48:04:

It has to be in decent condition for section 8 and everything up to code, such as safety features, electrical, no exposed wires or switches, clean carpet… they are more picky if you are putting in a new tenant, but easier on a re inspection… it’s okay if the tenant is not tidy, they’ll look over that, just make sure there’s no unsafe items, no cracks on the walls, gaps in doors or windows, AC heat works, GFI plugs in bathroom and kitchen that sort of thing… it really depends on inspector also… some is easy… we just had a nasty one who picked on us for every thing… made us put brand new carpet when the old one is still in good shape. and made us reclean the oven… which is also clean before… even my tenant thought he was crazy…

but once the inspection passes, the rest of it is hassle free… since your tenant already likes the place you should give it a shot, she might stay for another 12 years and get your mortgage paid off!!! what a deal!

I love Sec 8!!! and I got some best tenants on sec 8

Nancy :slight_smile:

First, a deadbeat! - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on March 07, 2007 at 15:12:24:

Then if there are REALLY legit reasons, your property has to pass a section 8 inspection. I say this because you mention that your house is “rather run down”. Just my initial thoughts.

I have to respectfully disagree - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on March 08, 2007 at 09:25:46:

Nancy, I just don’t like the section 8 mentality. You make it sound so good that every landlord/property owner should go after section 8 tenants. This means that the pool of tenants has to increase to meet the demand since it is so good for landlords. OK, lets say that happens through the efforts of you and other likeminded people. The end result is more people dependant on the government. Up go your taxes then up goes your costs only to be recuped by increased rents or section 8 payments. How do you reverse this cycle? Do you want to? Make a promise to yourself and society as a whole to make an agreement with your tenants. Give them a specific period of time to get off section 8 and the government coffers. Help turn them into assets to society rather than encouraging liabilities to continue. I did that once. I would go in and get on “my soap box” and preach common sense and logic with whatever the current topic or situation warrented. After a year of “education” my way, it worked! (Ofcourse your results and situation may vary) I took a sense of pride in that and learned a few things myself along the way. Why didn’t I continue? Well, I live in a resort area and nobody should be subsized to live in an area that I and others pay big bucks to live. Maybe it’s a matter of personal principles. Besides, market rents are just too high here as they should be to support section 8. There are other areas nearby over the bridge for that. I personally don’t have any properties there. If I did, I would continue my “personal responsibility educational program.” Just my thoughts for you to think about. Do you agree, disagree? Why or why not. Thanks.

Re: I have to respectfully disagree - Posted by RichV(FL)

Posted by RichV(FL) on March 08, 2007 at 10:14:39:

Hey Wayne,

I have run into a few sec 8 tenants myself. Most of them that I have met seem to have that “chip on the shoulder”, “You owe me something” mentality that Jimmy had mentioned in his above post.

Its because of that mentality that I have moved away from lower end units. I love my middle class/bread and butter properties. They are easy to buy and sell and easy to rent out…without the goverment sticking thier nose in my business.

It seems that Nancy has had luck with her people so far. I just wonder if her tenants have the same mentality that we are speaking of.

RichV(FL)