Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Ed Burns

Posted by Kim (FL) on June 18, 2001 at 22:09:14:

If you have aspirations to go to college – you can get a business degree with a concentration in real estate. I certainly don’t think it’s necessary to have that – but many people want a degree. If you do, that would be an obvious choice! Only pretty large business schools have real estate majors. Good Luck and have fun!

Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Ed Burns

Posted by Ed Burns on June 18, 2001 at 14:18:20:

I’m a sixteen year old male in the San Antonio, TX area.
I would like to begin a career as a real estate entrepreneur.

How and Where do I begin?

Thanks in advance for all responses.

Re: Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by IB (NJ)

Posted by IB (NJ) on June 18, 2001 at 18:03:16:

This is actually the age when I first started looking at REI (I’m 31). At the time, I was watching late night tv when Carleton Sheet’s infomercial came on. I couldn’t believe that it was possible to make so much money!

Well years have gone by and I actually forgot about REI for about 10 of those years. I only recently revisited it and decided to try it. And I am getting very successful at it too. But looking back, I don’t feel I’ve missed anything by not getting involved in REI sooner. I’ve picked up so much wisdom over the years that I would never be able to do REI had I not gotten it.

In addition to what others have posted, I would say that you should check the archives for something I posted sometime last year entitled “Free yourself first” or something like that. I was responding to an 18 year old young man who, like yourself, wanted to get into REI. Now I’m no expert so I basically gave a litlle of the wisdom I’ve gained over the years regarding the handling of money. This is crucial. If you don’t spend, save, and invest your money wisely your career in REI will be short lived. I’ve seen it too many times already. I’m sure some of the other Investors have as well.

God luck!

Re: Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Lazaro

Posted by Lazaro on June 18, 2001 at 17:16:06:

Ed,
I started when I was 17 years old. Now I am 18. I bought 4 rental properties that currently rented. But these properties I gave to my parents to take. Now when I move to go to college I will be on my own. Let me tell you one thing. READ EVERYTHING on this board before you buy any courses. I did a mistake by buying before I had read everything on this board. This board will give you some of the basics on real estate investing. So follow your dream. JUST DO IT!!! Feel free to email me.
Cordially,
Lazaro

Re: Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Mark-NC

Posted by Mark-NC on June 18, 2001 at 17:12:44:

Ed,
I don’t think that legally you will be able to put together any deals because of your age. However, what you could do is “bird dog” ( finding deals for investors for a fee) for a couple years while learning along the way. This will give you a tremendous learning experiance along with educating yourself with other real estate related materials. This way once you are ready to go out on your own you will have a definate advantage.

Good luck,
Mark

Re: Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Jennifer

Posted by Jennifer on June 18, 2001 at 15:18:35:

I’m from San Antonio as well – although I’m just getting started too. Good luck to you – feel free to email me if I can help in any way.

Re: Teenager wanting to get into REI. - Posted by Rich Hamilton

Posted by Rich Hamilton on June 18, 2001 at 14:32:47:

Ed,

Start by reading all the how to articles and success stories posted on this site. There is a tremendous amount of information and knowledge readily available and free for the taking (reading). Network with others in the business and visit this site daily. Make sure you go out and perform what you learn here. If you get stuck, just ask for help. There is always someone to help you.

It’s awesome to have someone your age wanting to do this business. Follow your dreams and aspirations and you’ll be living a life that others can barely imagine.

Welcome!!!Richard