tear dwon costs - Posted by Craig (IL)

Posted by JT-IN on June 19, 2008 at 18:22:57:

Go ahead and explain that carbon credit thing to me one time…

Then what about the enhanced efficiency that would be created over the next 50 yrs by the replacement of an antiquated, grossly energy inefficient structure…? Not to mention the other economic and esthetics benefits created… What about those…?

JT

tear dwon costs - Posted by Craig (IL)

Posted by Craig (IL) on June 18, 2008 at 19:40:23:

What would be the approximate cost of tearing down an 120- year-old duplex of 2350 sq. feet?

I’m looking to bid on a duplex with a great location. It has been empty (except for the occasionally a racoon family)for at least 10 years. You can imagine the condition. Given the nature of the housing market for investors, the owner doesn’t get any offers and might hop at almost any offer.

I think the property’s real value is not worth more than the price of the land. Thus, the current owner, an investor himself, can only expect to get the land value less the price of tear down.

Anyone experienced with tear downs: what might I expect the owner would have to pay to have it torn down and debris hauled away?

I might offer to save the owner the time and effort to do it himself, and get out of the property, finally, and move on. (Oh, I wouldn’t be tearing it down. The foundation is good and I will put 60K into this vintage home with many possibilities and even was built originally as a duplex. But, obviously, repair time and costs will drive what I can afford to pay for the property.)

$ 3 to 5 per sq ft - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on June 19, 2008 at 06:35:09:

Depending upon type of const… another big variable is the regulatory agencies, Dept of Health, Bldg Dept, etc… some will make the process more arduous, and hence more expensive…

But the pure const costs, tear down with a track hoe, dumpster fees to haul off, etc… should put you in the 8K to 13K range. But as suggested, get an estimate from a demolition company… or excavating crew, as most can handle this… There is some specialized prep in getting all utilities unhooked; elect, gas, water, sewer, tele, cable, etc… It all costs money…

Get an estimate - Posted by Wayne-NC

Posted by Wayne-NC on June 19, 2008 at 05:00:20:

Why not? You have to correctly factor in all your costs for an accurate financial decision. That’s what I did when I replaced a beach cottage in NJ last year and yes, as the previous poster correctly pointed out, it did have asbestos siding all around. That was an extra charge and completely removed before the demo began. Hint: You may want to strip the copper beforehand once you own it. That has value and they know it too.

Re: tear dwon costs - Posted by Beachbum

Posted by Beachbum on June 18, 2008 at 20:44:04:

Largely depends on whether or not there are hazardous materials to deal with. Remodels etc. through the years could have it full of asbestos, among other things. You don’t want the EPA on your case…

Re: $ 3 to 5 per sq ft - Posted by michaela-CA

Posted by michaela-CA on June 19, 2008 at 10:17:30:

JT,

do you have any experience with just ‘clean up’ after a ‘controlled collapse’ by the Fire dept vs. hiring a ‘Demolition company’ to do the tear down?

I would think that’only’ the clean up could be substantially lower as the companies bidding on that wouldn’t have to be so specialized?

Michaela

Re: $ 3 to 5 per sq ft - Posted by JT-IN

Posted by JT-IN on June 19, 2008 at 12:07:38:

Michaela:

No, I sure don’t have any experience with such a clean-up, but if the option exists to have the fire dept perfrom a controlled burn, it stands to reason that there would be substantially less material to haul away…

If that is an option, it would surely be the best choice. I have always simply had an excavator with a track hoe begin caving in the roof, walls etc, all onto itself, then begin stuffing it all into a series of rolloff dumpsters. It works, but very time consuming.

JT

Who pays for the carbon credits - Posted by Rich-CA

Posted by Rich-CA on June 19, 2008 at 16:41:20:

since burning the house would release gobs of CO2.

Re: $ 3 to 5 per sq ft - Posted by michaela-ATL

Posted by michaela-ATL on June 19, 2008 at 12:33:06:

Hi, JT,

thank you for your answer. I was researching for a particular area and spoke to the fire Dept. They no longer accept those structure donations for ‘fire practice’ (may vary in other areas) due to health
restirictions etc. But You can donate the structure for their training and they do what they call a ‘controlled collapse’ where in the ends all the walls etc are on the ground. They practice going through walls etc. Also, this would be considered a tax deduction (I don’t know if that gets added back in, if you end up making a profit on the property). But I would think that ‘just’ having to load the material and getting rid of it would be less than having to tear down the structure.

Michaela