Taking advantage of an elderly person - Posted by Levi

Posted by Tim_wa on March 22, 2006 at 17:04:15:

Why do you care if the email address is real or not? The email address itself doesn’t identify the poster. It’s not like it’s hard to get a free email address anyway. The question is legitimate and may be of use to other people and this person doesn’t seem like he’s using a fake email to cause trouble.

tim

Taking advantage of an elderly person - Posted by Levi

Posted by Levi on March 22, 2006 at 12:23:08:

I was accused of taking advantage of an elderly person. An 80 yr old woman called me about a note she wants to sell. The principal balance is $50,000, she is hoping to get about $45,000. I told her I’d see what I could do, but told her the value would likely be closer to $35,000. I called around and got some quotes from buyers for around $45,000.

A note buyer/broker told me it is unethical to offer her $35,000 and then sell it for $45,000. I’d say its equivalent to “taking advantage” of a seller in pre-forclosure, out of state owner, tired landlord, etc.

I’d say this woman is sharper than 90% of people half her age.

Any opinions?

Put Up a Real E-Mail Address - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on March 22, 2006 at 15:50:38:

I might be more inclined to take you seriously if you wouLD use a real email address. bs@bs.com says a lot ABOUT YOU, and your obvious disrespect for the people on this board.

go away.

Look at it from different points of view… - Posted by Berno

Posted by Berno on March 22, 2006 at 14:46:41:

would there be an issue with the deal if the lady was 40? Do you feel “bad” about doing the deal? Would you feel bad doing it if she was 40? If things seem fair regardless of age, then it’s fair.

Re: Taking advantage of an elderly person - Posted by Anne_ND

Posted by Anne_ND on March 22, 2006 at 12:36:53:

A note broker told you it was unethical to buy for less and sell for more? Sounds like the broker wants to cut you out of the deal.

Having said that, when I’ve bought from older people I’ll sometimes offer to pay for them to have their attorney to check over the sales contract- I’d pay $300 to make $10,000.

I also use Joe Kaiser’s Best Darn Document, which I believe is still in the archives or success stories part of this website.

good luck,

Anne

Re: Put Up a Real E-Mail Address - Posted by Joe

Posted by Joe on March 22, 2006 at 18:32:36:

Levi is legit, as he posts regularly on other forums, including this same exact question. I don’t know him personally, but I’ve seen him around plenty.