Spec Homes - Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds

Posted by Chuck (AZ) on June 29, 2001 at 16:15:03:

Yep, this could work.

Here’s a wierd twist on it… there are MH dealers down here in AZ that advertise this as an “investment opportunity”. You buy the home at a reduced price (a few percent above cost), which is then placed in a community that the dealer owns. When it sells, you get a payback/profit.

Just reverse the flow.

Spec Homes - Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds

Posted by John SirJohnathon Grounds on June 29, 2001 at 15:44:31:

Hello All,

I recently acquired a piece of land in Indiana with 5 spaces for doubles. I don’t have doubles in the area, but would like to get the place at least looking “occupied”.

Has anyone had success in getting dealers to put “spec” homes on lots. My thought is to not charge rent, but allow them to use the area as a sales lot. This would help me get the place established.

If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Re: Spec Homes - Posted by Dan (NC)

Posted by Dan (NC) on June 30, 2001 at 08:13:42:

I personally get along with most mobile home dealers, and I’m not saying they’re all dishonest, but keep a firm grip on your wallet when working with them. If they’ve been around a while, they know every trick in the book. Talk to your lawyer and make sure that you’re covered if the home doesn’t sell in a reasonable period. Make the dealer pay for all land improvements, which revert to you without cost if they back out. Just be real careful with the dealers and don’t end up holding the proverbial short end.