Snaphoo - Help! - Posted by cris(mi)

Posted by cris(mi) on October 28, 1998 at 12:41:22:

Where do I go from here if my well is on his property?

Snaphoo - Help! - Posted by cris(mi)

Posted by cris(mi) on October 27, 1998 at 21:14:15:

I bought 1 parcial of 3. I put a MH, septic and well on it. Now the guy who owns the parcial next door says my well is on his property! When I bought the land my subject too’s stated that the property line had to be made clear to me, but the Real Estate agent, Broker and seller would not walk out there to show me. They said there are markers out there that you can clearly see. The road frontage was staked with flags and the back of property had two markers planted exactly the width of the property. All construction has been done between those 4 stakes. Where do I go from here? And what happens to my 5" well?

survey - Posted by Gator Shelton

Posted by Gator Shelton on October 28, 1998 at 14:40:09:

I also think the first thing you need is a survey. It has been my experience that if I pay for a survey, the property line seems to be where I tell them I thought it was. Seems to work kinda like appraisals. Around here it would cost about $150.

Best wishes from your friend, Gator

Try this first… - Posted by Tom Brown

Posted by Tom Brown on October 28, 1998 at 11:48:59:

In many localities, when property is surveyed into parcels, corner pins (usually rebar set in concrete) are placed to delineate the property lines. Go to your courthouse and find the survey for your subdivision. This will tell you if there were any pins set when the property was surveyed. Using the plat map, you should be able to find the pins with a little trouble. It is not unusual for the pins to be several inches under the ground. A little sweat could save you some money.

If you hire a surveyor and your property has corner pins, the surveyor is going to locate one and find the others via his transit anyway.

If not, the survey is the only way to go.

Re: Snaphoo - Help! - Posted by Jimbob

Posted by Jimbob on October 27, 1998 at 22:20:49:


You’ll need to get a county surveyor out there to determine the property boundary lines. This will cost you about $400 but may end up saving you thousands in litigation fees down the road. If the survey proves you were within the boundary lines of your property, provide a copy of the survey to the landowner next to you. If you went over the boundary lines, head for the best attorney’s office you can find, dont wait and whatever you do, dont try to handle it yourself. Also, did you happen to get title insurance?

I’ve seen cases where this type of thing happened to the person who did the work but the next door neighbor tried to bully his way into a lawsuit or a quick and easy payoff through intimidation. Those types should be condemned to a life of apartment living in my opinion.