Sheets isn't working for me - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on January 08, 2003 at 19:00:17:

Duncan I can send you some analysis I have done. I have a friend who live in Texas and has spent many hours going over this stuff with me but I have not been able to get it to flow. If I am in the right learning enviroment it really clicks for me. I graduated highschool almost 20 yrs ago with a cumlitave GPA of 0.667. The summer I graduated I went to tech school in the army and was the top of my class, now I am in Tech school again to get my A.A.S. and have been on the deans list 3 quarters in a row at a 4.0. I know what I need just haven’t found it yet I will adventually and then I will be off like a wild fire. I have been trying for 10 yrs to buy my first property I know one day it will happen. I have had to step back a few times and take a break but I keep slowly plugging away and studing.

Sheets isn’t working for me - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on January 07, 2003 at 20:36:09:

I bought Sheets program and at first blush it was great I read the whole note book then I listened to the CD"s like 5 times the problem I have run into is for me there are to many blank spots. He hasn’t done a COMPLETE working modle. He drops them mid stream. I would like to see just one deal !00% from the initial contact to the handing off of the Keys to the new owner he sold to. Just one. I am not blaming him but that is what I need to complete all the dots. Unfortunately that is how I personally learn. I have tried unsucessfully to get help from his group.

Re: Sheets isn’t working for me - Posted by Eva_VA

Posted by Eva_VA on January 08, 2003 at 18:20:42:

Hi - I have the Sheets’ course as well and I found, like you, it is lacking in detail. I believe the material provides good basic information to get people excited about investing but not much more. Save your money and visit your local bookstore and invest less than $20 each on a couple of books that provide more in-depth information. After reading these books, you might select 1 or 2 techniques that you’d like to focus on such as rehabbing, wholesaling (flipping), lease options, etc. Once you’ve made your selection, then look for books pertaining to that subject. I’ve done what I’ve just suggested to you and have decided to try my hand at rehabbing so that’s what I focus on. Also locate a real estate investment club in your area that you can join. There, you should be able to gain knowledge, network with others, etc. Also, visit other message boards on CREOnline besides the Carlton Sheet’s one to gain more insight. :o)

Re: Sheets isn’t working for me - Posted by Duncan

Posted by Duncan on January 07, 2003 at 22:48:36:

Jim,

I have studied Sheets course too. I generally need good explanations to follow and can relate to what you’re saying. However, with Real Estate, there are many many variables. Sheets points you in the right direction, but you got to hit the pavement and find those missing dots yourself.

Have you set your goals?

Have you begun to call sellers and look at properties?

Are you getting to know your market place both in property sales and rents?

Have you contacted various professionals as he advises you?

Been to the county courthouse?

Made any offers?

I haven’t bought my first property yet, because I have not found one yet where the numbers make sense. Without Sheets though, I would have probably bought the wrong property by now.

Also, don’t stop with sheets, there are other sources of good information, many books offered on this site and in your public library or your nearest bookstore. Also, just reading through the posts and archives on this site can give you a lot of insights.

You’ve read the books, now get to work. You’ll probably get a call from the CS coaching program to help you connect the dots. But, they will only tell you to do the things the course tells you by giving you those things as assignments, and they’ll charge you $4000 for that! So beware. Search this site on concerning coaching programs.

Your ready for the next phase, and that is doing.

Good Luck!

Duncan

Re: Sheets - Posted by Kevin Wahlert

Posted by Kevin Wahlert on January 10, 2003 at 22:17:17:

Sheets has been peddling that same course for years, every year he re-packages it to stay with the trends. It should be used only for fire starter. He teaches techniques that are out-dated.The only positive- He does a great job in getting you to think about the markets though. You really have to be in tune with what is going on in the neighborhoods that you plan on investing in. I totally agree with the buying of the books in your particular area ogf intrest. If you are planning on (flipping) I suggest that you know how to do some of the cosmetic work yourself if you are doing any rehabs. It will save you a ton of money.

Good Luck

Re: Sheets isn’t working for me - Posted by jim

Posted by jim on January 08, 2003 at 06:57:05:

YES on all accounts except the courthouse. Believe me I looked and looked and called about 20 people a day for 2 or 3 months. even made offers. but had somany holes in the dot to dot I keept getting lost along the way.

Re: Sheets isn’t working for me - Posted by Duncan

Posted by Duncan on January 08, 2003 at 11:29:27:

Jim,

Could you give a brief outline of your process? I can’t say much if I don’t see what “dot” your having trouble with. My only comment now is that your first property is going to be the hardest. Don’t give up. How are you making your property analysis (give an example). What kind of offers are you making and how do you come up with them? Include what you know about your local market place.

I would like to help, but need more info.

Duncan