Sewage Treatement Plants for MHP - Posted by Howard Dickey

Posted by ray@lcorn on June 23, 2001 at 19:32:07:


Where in VA are you?

I usually seek out a local engineering firm… ask the folks at DEQ for three or four names of the most active firms… they can’t give a recommendation, but they see more engineering work than anyone else around.

The price I quoted was for a full blown pump station. Something in the 20T gpd size is relatively small. The engineer will be able to ballpark the cost in the first meeting. I would need to know more particulars to venture a guess, and then that is all it would be. Better to get the info from folks that are familiar with your area regs and the details of system you are hooking into.


Sewage Treatement Plants for MHP - Posted by Howard Dickey

Posted by Howard Dickey on June 19, 2001 at 16:36:20:

I am looking for suppliers, manufacturers and any information you can provide for Sewage Treatment Plants. I own a 31 space MHP that is currently on septic tanks and looking to put in plant to add more spaces.

If you are owner with plant, would appreciate any advice.

Re: Sewage Treatement Plants for MHP - Posted by ray@lcorn

Posted by ray@lcorn on June 21, 2001 at 13:23:20:


I’ve been involved in several private sewer systems. In all cases I obtained the information you seek from engineering firms engaged to design the sysytem and gain approvals from the necessary regulatory bodies. The hardware is actually the least important component of building such a system.

In my state (Virginia) we have to get approval from the State Department of Health and the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). The approvals will most certainly require a licensed engineer to design the system and size the equipment needed. In most cases it is required to have a licensed mechanical contractor perform the work and, in conjunction with the engineer, perform the testing required before the system can be activated. The health department is the front line agency here, with local offices in every community in the state. The DEQ is centrally administered from the state capital, and we dealt with a regional office. You could start by calling the local building department for information regarding the proper agency(s) to contact in your area.

Expect the process to take a while… in many places, private sewer systems are not the preferred way of handling solid waste. In addition to the approval of the physical construction of the system you will also have to develop an operations and maintenance manual, as well as file reports (ours are quarterly) with test results for the chemical content of the effluent. If the system discharges into a freshwater stream or river there may be additional agencies involved depending on where you are. Some tests are required weekly, some monthly, some annually. If you’re setting up a grinder pump station that pumps the effluent to an existing sewer system, the tests required will be minimal, or even none. In my area a grinder pump station can be installed for about $30,000. A full package plant that discharges into a stream or river runs $75,000 to $100,000. These prices include engineering fees, but do not include the service lines.

You might also ask the engineering firm about alternative solid waste treatment systems that are approved systems for use in your area. Approved system types vary widely from state to state. Depending on soil types, topography, the vicinity of a stream, etc., you may have less expensive options than a package plant.

We are currently looking at a MHP with a failing lagoon system. DEQ is ready to either heavily fine the owner or close the park, and could put him in jail, for years of non-compliance with their regulations. The seller is becoming motivated, but only because he is getting tired of hiring new lawyers. (This has been going on for years, and DEQ is determined to get this guy gone, one way or the other.) One of the alternatives for dealing with the problem is a master drainfield on an adjacent property parcel fed by a grinder pump station. This will allow the use of the existing lines and minimal disruption to the park during construction.

My advice is to investigate all options before committing to any course of action. The bottom line is the bottom line… in some cases the sewer can be so expensive as to make the spaces not economically feasible to build.


Ray, thanks for info - some questions - Posted by Howard Dickey

Posted by Howard Dickey on June 23, 2001 at 07:40:14:

Thanks for the information. I am also located in Virginia.
I’ve gotten Discharge application from DEQ. I am now at the point of needing an engineer who is familiar with plants and completing application.
Would you be willing to provide names of engineers that are familiar with plants and installation in Mobile Home Parks. I cannot find any here in my area.

I need a plant that will handle 20,000 gallons a day. What size plant were you referring to at a price of $75k to $100k.

I would like to discuss this more indepth with you. Any objections to me sending you a message to your email address?

Thanks for your help and look forward to discussing this with you.