Selling LO w/leaky roof - what to do? - Posted by Colleen

Posted by ski on June 14, 2005 at 19:23:08:

Move or cover your shiney new lexus. Sorry, but my HARLEY comes before a mere lexus…

Selling LO w/leaky roof - what to do? - Posted by Colleen

Posted by Colleen on June 13, 2005 at 15:40:39:

We have yet to contact an atty, but I was wondering if any of you might be able to shed some light on what our financial obligations are. We are days away from closing on our LO that we have rented out for the past 2 years to the same tenants who are buying. We accepted an offer about 1.5 months ago. Less than a month ago, the buyer said the roof is leaking after a rain (house blt in 2001) We had the builder take a look, no sign of damage to shingles. We’ve attempted to get the builder inside to take a look, but the buyers were either not home or unavailable. Now, they are out of town until next week and have made arrangements to sign while out of town. My ?: Will we be financially responsible in replacing the roof even when we no longer own the home? They are in a hurry to sign, without resolve, and there was no inspection completed. I’m in Washington state and would appreciate any thoughts on what we should do - wait to sign after complete inspection?? Thanks for your time…

Re: Selling LO w/leaky roof - what to do? - Posted by John D.

Posted by John D. on June 14, 2005 at 08:19:20:

Is the builder Ryland by any chance?

We have had the same thing here with our personal home. Roof leaked, Ryland came out and said it’s not their fault or problem and they can’t see where the water penetrated to begin with. Mind you this is/was after several hurricanes came through the state but it was a problem which was only noticed after the storm. Now when it rains the roof leaks and we notice since we cut out a 3ft x 3ft section of the cieling (it’s in the garage over my shiny lexus) and sure enough the car is wet during a rainy day.

Re: Selling LO w/leaky roof - what to do? - Posted by ski

Posted by ski on June 13, 2005 at 18:13:39:

Contact the L/O people and ask if you can have permission to gain access to the property, along with a certified contractor. If they refuse entry. TOO BAD. If the money is that good, and it should be with a L/O just offer to pay 1/2 for the repair.