Selling a duplex, Suggestions? - Posted by Drew Brown

Posted by Max-Va on May 22, 2006 at 22:39:54:

I don’t know your market or anything about the property, so this is my opinion and it needs not be confused as advise.
Duplexes as a whole building are most atractive to investors if they can cash flow. I would use a realtor as last resort. Signs with directionals and newspaper ad would be my first choice. Flyers placed at the local REI club meetings should produce some results. Be sure to price the property correctly and be sure to have your own comps to back up the price.

Selling a duplex, Suggestions? - Posted by Drew Brown

Posted by Drew Brown on May 22, 2006 at 20:04:29:

Haven’t been here in awhile, but back with new questions. Im in the process of doing some work on a duplex Ive had for two years now. Will the work I have done justify my asking price? Who should I cater to: Homeowners, investors, or 1st timers? What type of advertising would work at a quicker rate? Print ads, webpages, word of mouth? If all else fails, should I deal with a realtor? Or could I ask the realtor for help without him or her trying to sell it for me? Help would be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Selling a duplex, Suggestions? - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on May 23, 2006 at 07:29:50:

1. You will get a higher price if you can find someone who wants to live in one side and rent the other. But that kind of buyer is a needle in the proverbial haystack. Investors represent 99% of your pool of eligible buyers, and we care about numbers. Homeowners are a lot less concerned about numbers.

2. you will get a higher price if you can seller-finance the property.

3. you will absolutely maximize your price if you can sell the units as separate condos. But this is no small feat. zoning issues. construction issues (firewalls). utility issues (all must be separated, if not already). redrawing lines. defining common areas, etc.

try this: put an ad in the local paper. “Beautifully renovated duplex. Let your tenant pay your mortgage. Super quiet location. Elderly long-term tenant. I can carry.”

dang. I want to buy this place…