Self Storage Lease Option Questions - Posted by Brady

Posted by David P. Butler on September 24, 2007 at 11:24:06:

Hello Brady,

As we like to point out frequently, often, “It is not the answer that enlightens, but the question.” ~ Eugene Ionesco

Not just “any” ideas would be a big help - but those ideas that accomplish two clear purposes here:

1. best meet your objectives and constraints, while also
  2. best meeting your seller’s objectives and constraints

Though you were not clear, sounds like part of the issue might revolve around front-end cash? If so, in what way - are you short cash to meet seller’s objectives; or just short cash to meet seller’s objectives, and still have sufficient funds to do improvements or “Other” that you expect as necessary to increase the cash flow?

Also, why do you envision the LO being an easier “in” per se? What are seller’s objectives per se?

Real estate transactions are simply a matter of trading benefits between principal parties.

BTW… many small commercial RE deals are put together with lease-option agreements, as well as contracts for deeds, straight installment sales, and Land Trusts - among others.

Strategies tweaking these can include various types of common deal “sweetners” that if well-thought through, and carefully tailored, can go a long way in making a deal fly, that was perhaps borderline otherwise. The key to getting a nice bowl of Sugar Pops is knowing the objectives and constraints on both sides of the table.

Great way to start… ask the seller if he would be willing to lease - and be ready to explain why you are asking the question. And think it through far enough to be able to suggest why it may be a benefit to him?

Why is he selling now?
How much cash does he need?
What will seller do with the cash?
What are his expectations?

(of course, that is much easier to do if you have at least some kind of handle on what his prime motivation is at this time, or even a lesser motivation it that’s all you can get at this stage.)

The above suggestions will prove to be very valuable to you at this point… and look forward to what you come up with. Best wishes for your success and…

Have Fun For A Living!

David P. Butler
www.hotspurinvestmentgroup.com

Self Storage Lease Option Questions - Posted by Brady

Posted by Brady on September 23, 2007 at 22:45:06:

I am looking @ a self storage facility right now that generating a decent cash flow…there is also a laundromat that is doing ok…After looking @ many features, I am very confident that my partner and I can increase the cash flow by about 30-40% in 6 months…Seller is motivated and wants out…

My question is has anybody had any experience getting these types of deals under a lease option. I believe that would be an easier “in” and then I can up the gross $$ and have some cash to put down @ the end of the lease option…The seller is willing to finance so would he be willing to lease…

Any ideas would be a big help…I’m meeting him on Tues morn! Thanks !!!

Re: Self Storage Lease Option Questions - Posted by Adams A1 Storage

Posted by Adams A1 Storage on September 27, 2007 at 16:15:33:

Financing a storage is a win win deal .You may have some overhead in the startup repairing doors getting rid of people that are not paying but that is all apart of the storage biz good luck 30 x 100 with 27 units or 20x 170 with 23 units turn key $40,000.00 per building i have 3000 units . i have 97 buildings all within 100 miles of home i rent units everyday . i take good care of my units &i’m 25% higher than everyone around me &i can always be reached &be there when asked --around 20 to 40 thousand a month in cash flow

Re: Self Storage Lease Option Questions - Posted by Adams A1 Storage

Posted by Adams A1 Storage on September 27, 2007 at 16:05:05:

Financing a storage is a win win deal .You may have some overhead in the startup repairing doors getting rid of people that are not paying but that is all apart of the storage biz good luck 30 x 100 with 27 units or 20x 170 with 23 units turn key $40,000.00