Section 8 - Why the long waiting list? - Posted by G-Man

Posted by vanessa smith on February 02, 2010 at 14:44:19:

i need help i live in la cal n iam looking 2 be on section 8

Section 8 - Why the long waiting list? - Posted by G-Man

Posted by G-Man on January 05, 2007 at 10:10:34:

I’ve been told that - where I live, there is over 22,000 people on a waiting list for Section 8 housing.

I’m assuming because the State does not have the funds?

I can’t imagine there would not be enough housing available.

Re: Section 8 - Why the long waiting list? - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on January 23, 2007 at 14:02:48:

There are 2 different types of “waiting lists”

1 are people who are waiting to get a certificates/vouchers… This is due to not enough funds available to the local housing authority… and yes HA’s have seen their funding cust substantially every year for the past several years.

The other waiting list is where people already have their certificates or vouchers and are unable to find people willing to rent to them. IE not enough landlords are willing to accept section 8 for the demand.

When someone says there is a waiting list for Section 8, it doesn’t always mean not enough funds in the program… You need to ask what exactly they mean when they claim a waiting list, because I’ve seen both situations just be called “waiting list for sec 8”.

Re: Section 8 - Why the long waiting list? - Posted by David Krulac

Posted by David Krulac on January 10, 2007 at 14:54:10:

depends on where you’re at. 1 county near me has a waiting list and another adjoining county has no waiting list. The funds come from the Federal gov’t HUD and are usually administered on the county level.

Maybe you can check out adjoining counties for shorter waiting list if that’s what you’re looking for.

No New Vouchers - Posted by Jimmy

Posted by Jimmy on January 07, 2007 at 07:22:47:

budget cutbacks. In 2003, more than half of my tenants were Section 8. today, its more like 12%. no new money means no new vouchers. I still catch existing vouchered tenants looking for new places.

I hear rumors that there are a bunch of new ones about to hit the street. but I’ll believe it when they hit my tenant roster.