Section 8 - Posted by Tim

Posted by Sailor on April 06, 2007 at 08:28:16:

Yes, but all homes have to pass inspection.

Tye

Section 8 - Posted by Tim

Posted by Tim on April 06, 2007 at 07:59:45:

I’m new at this MH stuff so please bear with me. Can a mobile home qualify for Section 8 rent?

Thanks

Tim

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Don_ny

Posted by Don_ny on April 07, 2007 at 18:12:21:

I have a unit rented section 8 right now and what Tony says is correct as far as I know. My tenants are longer term, do not complain, and a 1966 home has passed inspection twice. And rent is $200 over average. So far so good.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Tony Colella

Posted by Tony Colella on April 06, 2007 at 08:44:06:

Tye is correct, mobile homes can be rented out to section 8 tenants and this is one of our preferred tenants for a variety of reasons. The value of the section 8 partnership is subject to the local administrators willingness to make the program work. If you have a fair housing office then you are in business.

For example, we have found that many of the assumptions about section 8 have proven to be false. We find that the section 8 tenants keep our homes in better repair than non-section 8 tenants because these homes are inspected by section 8 and the tenant does not wish to take the risk of losing their benefits for not taking care of a home. The section 8 waiting list in this area can run several years so they do not want to lose that benefit entirely or even risk having to be put on a waiting list again.

We also find that these tenants do not move as often as our non-section 8 tenants. Section 8 in our area requires a one year lease and holds their tenants to it. If the tenant decides they want to move before that lease is up they must have an agreement from us (the landlord) or section 8 will not provide rental assistance for them in another unit. After the first year is up the lease goes to month to month but proper notice must be provided the landlord if the tenant wishes to move. No more midnight move outs and trashed properties. Even after they move, section 8 wants a letter from us stating that the tenant left the home in good condition and their portion of the rent in good standing.

The inspections are quite reasonable and not as difficult as many may believe. Yes, from time to time we do find a quirky request but for the most part all they inspect is to make certain the home is safe and reasonable clean (the home must be clean but they do not require you to put in new carpert etc if the carpet is old or has a stain).

We use these inspection standards as our basis in all of our properties to keep the tenants safe, the homes marketable and the liability risk to us at a min.

Tony