Section 8 - Posted by ME

Posted by knk on March 18, 2005 at 12:35:14:

Read the section 8 guidelines for your state. Then do a quick search on section 8 in GA. You will probably find out how much they will pay an compare that to what you would want from a market tenant.

Its a crapshoot either way.

Section 8 - Posted by ME

Posted by ME on March 18, 2005 at 11:00:52:

Anyone have anything to say about renting to Section 8?
Pros/Cons?

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Mark (SDCA)

Posted by Mark (SDCA) on March 21, 2005 at 12:02:29:

Cons:

The local office has 100% total power. The inspector can write up anything he chooses. There is NO administrative appeals process.

Mark

Re: Section 8 - Posted by Sean

Posted by Sean on March 18, 2005 at 12:17:35:

Pros

The gubments part of the check is reliable.

In my town Sec 8 creates an artificial floor for rents in my area… in many areas sec 8 may not even come close to market rents.

Cons:

Your payments will fluctuate with the powers that be in washington. Right now Sec 8’s are having their fundings cut drastically (my city has had a 20% cut)… which eventually turns into lower Sec 8 payments one way or another.

Tenant quality can be pretty darn bad.

You are dealing with a government bureaucracy, headaches are bound to occur, and the employees may not be the best.

I have had good and bad tenants, and good and bad experiences with Sec 8. Frankly I in the general case prefer a Market Tenant over a Sec 8 tenant.

Re: Section 8 - Posted by knk

Posted by knk on March 18, 2005 at 12:04:18:

Pros - you get your money on time every month

Cons - you dont always get the best tenants in the world, they can be sloppy and just dont care because its not there house

If you get lucky, section 8 is a great way to go, ive had both situations and for me the good tenants i have keep me renting to section 8 tenants

Re: Section 8 - Posted by ME

Posted by ME on March 18, 2005 at 12:08:35:

Thanks for your comments… but is it difficult to get the GOV to work quickly? Time is of the essence…

Posted by knk on March 18, 2005 at 12:13:17:

It depends on what your rental market is like. Where I am, i have government agencies calling me everyday for apartments. I cant buy properties fast enough to house all the people they need to find places to live.

Posted by ME on March 18, 2005 at 12:16:02:

Thanks again!
Are there many Sec 8 renters who do not pay their portion of the rent? can it be set up so that ALL the rent can be given from the GOV?

Posted by knk on March 18, 2005 at 12:25:08:

I agree with Sean on rather having a market tenant. Just with that there is no guarantee that they will pay either and at least i know with Section 8 that i will be getting some portion of the rent each month.

Certain markets allow for section 8 to cover the whole rent while others do not. Prior to choosing a section 8 tenant, speak with case worker assigned to that tenant and find out all the particulars beforehand. Try to develop a good relationship with the case worker because in the event you do not receive the tenants portion, all it may take is a call to the caseworker and low an behold the tenants portion shows up.

What state are you dealing with?

Posted by ME on March 18, 2005 at 12:30:22:

Georgia…